So finaly... no casual server ? :=)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Greendav, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Greendav Lorekeeper

Heya,

Well, changed done on both tlp servers are goods and thanks DB for that.

But so we have a fast/hardcore server with selo and a normal tlp server with Mangler.

Thats cool, but not the so crazy present some could expect with the 20th anniversary of Everquest.

What about a true casual server for player wanted to enjoy eq but with a more important irl life, and so with more time between expansion and more easy exp.

It could be the Zebuxoruk server, starting at classic with double exp, new expansion all 6 month and all item freetrade. :)
  2. dmccollum Elder

Mangler is the casual server. XP rates are double that of Coirnav.
    FubarEQ likes this.
  3. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

You have it backwards. According to the FAQ, Selo is the casual server, Mangler is the hardcore server.
  4. Tymeless Augur

Not anymore
  5. Brunlin Augur

DBG, took those labels off the server,and so should you. Selos is the fast server, Mangler is the standard tlp, FV is the trade live server, Agnaar is the locked at ldon server, Coirnav is the im at POP for now server, and Ragefire is the standard tlp box server(aka Magefire). Plenty of options that hardcore and casual players alike can play at depending on play style.Casual or hardcore is not a server but a play style.

Oh....BTW....to DBG......Thanks for the changes to the new tlps......good job.....good job....lots of happy players.
    Tymeless likes this.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

According to the FAQ, I am right. But, that's only because they haven't corrected that in the FAQ. Thanks for the responses, and for setting me straight.
  7. Zanarnar Augur

So.. hardcore = bootstrutter or whatever selo's is now

Phinny clone 3.0 is Manglar

Where is the Ultra Casual server? Oh ya.. Holly.. right. Knew that wasn't really an option to begin with. Ahh well, swing and a miss.
  8. Hinastorm Elder

I assure you, 3 months each in the trilogy eras with ragefire exp rate will be fast enough/enough time to keep up for a casual.

Assuming you play more then a few hours a week. Even with live exp, your not going to get much done in everquest on only a few hours a week. Just how it is.
    Tymeless likes this.
  9. Tymeless Augur

It is very similar to Phinny yes but it does have a couple major changes like a much improved exp rate.
  10. Shiba Journeyman

11. CrescensX New Member

They did actually update the old FAQ's as well. You can see on the Mangler one where they state the xp penalties have been removed and the xp is equivalent to Ragefire. However they also did not fix the entire old FAQ so later on when they ask how the xp on Mangler will be it says what it did before the change. They just missed some stuff that needed updated on the FAQs. Removing the words hardcore / casual are one of those things
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

Any server with 6 month unlocks would be a ghost town.

Sure you would have all the "super casuals" there, but when they all only play 3-5 hours a week having everyone on at the same time and trying to form any type of meaningful group wouldnt last.

OK guys awesome we got our group together, took 20 minutes but it happend!!!1

LEts go to Lguk
    10 minutes later arrives at camp
    starts pulling
    Healer-whelp guys I only had an hours, start looking for a replacement for me, I have to go in 15.

Not to mention 6 months in classic only would be diabetes.
    Pirlo likes this.
  13. Saints New Member

Aside from drowning and not doing a corpse run in 2005, I'm 100% new to EQ.

For most three months appears to be ample to get to the next leg of content. I just hope that as a completely new player it will be enough time to explore and take it all in before the next content drop happens.

I really do enjoy the exploration and learning the ins and outs, as opposed to theme-parking through zones like the modern games tend to do. I'd be okay with even more time, but three months seems fine.
  14. Leifer Augur

EQ is not a casual game unless you don't mind scraping the bottom of the barrel on the server your on. Unless you have several hours at a time, or have IRL friends or family that can play with you on a moments notice, you just fall further and further behind and cannot find groups in what turns into ghost zones. If you can only play an hour at a time most days, but still enjoy grouping for many hours on the weekends, you just won't be able to keep up with others on a TLP true box server.

Only options you have is to buy a couple more computers or cheat hax software in order to box to keep up so you can join/make groups on the weekends. I use to sub 3 accounts on Live and Lockjaw and could keep up somewhat. Tried Coirnav on a single account and got to level 40ish until most everyone was too far ahead to get groups. I re-subbed to 3 accounts again in hopes one of the new servers would allow me to play all on one PC. I'll cancel two of the accounts and try truebox again - at least until I can't find/make groups anymore.

If you box on several computers or somehow get around the rules, then you can play casually (10-12 hours a week). If you single account you need to play 20+ hours a week to keep up with the crowd to get/make groups. There won't be a true casual server again until they allow boxing on one PC so the people with limited time can try to keep up with the crowds if they want to get in groups when they have time. EQ was and always will be my favorite game (played since 1999 and was "hardcore" for 6 years), but its not casual. It never was and still isn't unless you don't mind playing all by yourself on a box-allowable server or have several PC's to play on at once.

EQ is a social game where you need a large population on the server or at least enough players that progress with each other at a similar pace. I think that is why so many of those people who like to call themselves "casual" look forward so much to new TLP's. They can actually play with people their own level for a month or two before they get left behind and wish they had another new server so they could actually group again. No, EQ is not a casual game. It's a game for many different layers of players who are actually hardcore.
  15. Balderdash Lorekeeper

There is nothing casual about 8 week and 12 week unlocks. Casuals will fall behind on the things we think are important . Tradeskills, quests, keying, flagging, epics etc. Casuals don’t expect to have everything but it is nice to have a few things. These things can not be done with short unlocks.
    I have played through the Combine and Fippy and now Ragefire/lockjaw and the only time I have felt reasonably caught up and like I got my money’s worth was during the long unlock periods at the beginning of Ragefire/lockjaw.
    LadyRanger likes this.
  16. Balderdash Lorekeeper

Ragefire had 6 month unlocks to begin with and no AOC’s and is still going as strong as Phinny is and it’s an older server. Had Ragefire opened with Picks and AOC’s it would have been the best server ever. Something for everyone. The racers race to get server firsts then farm krono for awhile as the casuals catch up and experience the content at their pace.
    Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean others wouldn’t. I do agree that Classic didn’t need to be 6 months and 4 months might have worked for classic.
  17. ShivanAngel Augur

ragefire isnt truebox, that is why.
  18. Ishbu Augur

I play casually and have no problem keeping up with 12 week unlocks. At a point, there is individual skill/ability to play with any semblance of efficiency to consider, not just if you are casual or not.

No, you will never stay caught up if by casual you mean you level to 30 and then roll a new character, do the same, until you have 5 level 30 toons and then decide which one to go to 50 but first you take a 2 week break. Thats a personal choice though that many players make, but as a result, should not expect to get a lot done at max level unless they start putting in more time.