So exactly how bad is MotM for Mages?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclyte, May 21, 2020.

1. Ishbu Augur

Naggy is actually completely immune to magic and fire, so every single spell a mage has, is impossible to land on him in classic. Yes they are belly casters, but Vox a mage can slaughter just fine
  2. sumnayin2 Augur

This is why EQ will always be my favorite. Groups behave differently based on what classes you have. WoW started off this way a little too, until the game just became "aggro a bunch of mobs and AoE them down." FF14 is exactly the same too. FF14 used to have buffs but every healer had the same buff so they just made it a permanent thing on all tanks like you said.

In FF14 every class has different skill rotations but they're all the same. It doesn't matter if your healer is a WHM, SCH or AST because their skills have different names but 90% of them do the same thing. There are no class dynamics that change battles. BLM's have sleep and we used it during 2.0 but I guarantee you if you told a BLM to use sleep in a dungeon he'd ask "what is that?"
  3. Blastoff Augur

Lmao in raid parses, yes I am. It's rare enc's do anything useful with charm pets on raid. Even when they do, they don't have concussion and wizard still wins. Remember pet dps gets ganked by motm as well as transferring threat as if it isn't.
  4. error Augur

It's not because he's a belly caster, Naggy is effectively immune to fire and magic. About all you can do to dps him as a mage is sic your pet through the wall and summon Dyzil's Deafening Decoy and Rage of Zomm temporary pets for kind of pitiful damage at extremely high mana cost. Going off memory, I think most if not all dragons through Kunark are extremely magic resistant, and many are also fire resistant. Trak you could fire nuke no problem, so you get a break there. Venril Sathir was basically fire/magic immune, same with a lot of the island bosses in sky. Only cleared VP like twice so I don't really recall much about those fights.

By Velious, most of the NToV bosses are only immune to one or the other, so it's not too bad. Velious in general gets a lot better for mages in terms of actually being able to dps, although it's also when threat really starts becoming an issue. The exceptions that really stand out are the 4 ancient dragons at the end of Sleeper's Tomb, those things were a mage's nightmare - couldn't land jack and no good spots to position your pet combined with bad pathing so it'll just keep dying over and over to AoEs.
  5. theRTG New Member

not specifically true. you can land Bond of Death (49 necro, magic based) on Naggy with relative ease. along with Soul Well (VP, Shissar Deathspeaker staff) and Lich Hat click. i know this is a mage specific thread, and in that specific case you are correct that fire/magic are not going to be landing. but, Naggy is not completely magic immune (and technically not completely fire immune either, see below).

edit: i also want to say i've seen rare applications of boil blood (fire), but that isn't in my personal TLP resist tracker document so i'll make a specific point to double check that this time around. my recollection of this comes from me actually landing it and then it being a topic of conversation during the fight because it's silly.

edit2: also lifetap dd for partial
  6. Arclyte Augur

thats because those spells have a huge negative modifier for resists

I was also able to land my insect dot (-100 magic resist) on my ranger

any fire or magic spell with no modifier isnt worth casting
  7. Magickon Augur

You're talking about kunark items in veeshan's peak that pretty much automatically assume the character is level 60. A level 60 necro has no trouble at all landing even their fire spells on Nagefen. The thing is, a level 60 person has basically no reason to kill Nagafen so the point is useless.

In era, magic dots work just fine. Druids are great on nagafen in era.
  8. error Augur

I don't think level difference helps much, at least not up to level 65. Just did Naggy with a group the other night on Mangler and magic and fire weren't landing at all as a 65 mage. The spells that guy listed land because they have massive resistance check modifiers, basically like wizzy lure spells. Closest thing mages get to that is the Shield of the Primal Mind clicky, which is definitely worth picking up for those bosses that nothing else will land on.
  9. theRTG New Member

lifetap, boil blood, and bond of death are classic. i incorporated the other items just to be nice and give extra information. at the end of the day, the statement i responded to wasn't accurate. i'm pleased to know that some of the ranger dots (per the above) are working too, i'll ask my guys this time around for more specific spell use cases for naggy to put on my tracker.

people absolutely do naggy during kunark. you are correct that anyone with a deathspeaker staff will be 60, but the Demi Lich Hat click, morternum (stackable damage with vp and casted, not stackable healing) has a level 50 requirement. there are plenty of them around after the first of us complete them and they start getting handed out to the rest of our buddies/alts.

just because you find something useless doesn't mean the rest of us are disinterested in tangible benefits, however they are found.

edit: added content
  10. Magickon Augur

You might as well be saying that just because I wouldn't bother to pick up a quarter on the sidewalk, but it would completely make someone else's day to imply that what a level 60 character can do to nagafen is relevant.

It is not. A level 60 character on a tlp has so many better dragons to kill.

Keep on picking up those quarters. Please be careful to not fall over in the process.
  11. theRTG New Member

i just heard: 'i'm too lazy to contribute more to my raid team or personal wealth.' the discussion here wasn't about what level 60s should be spending their time on, it was concerning nagafen's resist table.
  12. Magickon Augur

Get over yourself.
  13. theRTG New Member

i mean, okay dude. but objectively here, i'm providing what could be useful information to someone about an everquest topic and you're condescending about quarters.
  14. Tyrant New Member

It does virtually nothing with normal pets. The fact is even with MotM the server firsts are still gotten by mage raid swarms.
  15. Arclyte Augur

Ugh these forums are so aggravating. I like the idea of the Mage class, but people around here say they are basically useless CotH bots, and only 2-3 of them get slots in a raid. Now you are telling me they're actually useful for damage.

:confused:
  16. Trevalon Augur

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen a Mage Swam server first since Tulkas...