So About That UI Revamp...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flib Spinetingle, May 20, 2024.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Same I use the new UI and have no problems.
    Rijacki and fransisco like this.
  2. Angahran Augur

Wrong. A handful of very simple windows have been 'converted' to the new UI.
    Many don't work which is why people are not using it.
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

This "New UI" is the sort of project they could have farmed out to an external developer on a contract with firm deliverables and timetables.

It could have paid for itself by now if it encouraged even a handful of new players to stay with the game.

I don't understand their reluctance to confess they're not able to be experts at everything, everytime.
  4. Angahran Augur

What they need to do is rip all the 'new ui' garbage out until:
    1. They have built and tested (internally and then on the test server) a fully functional 'new UI'.
    2. Provide a clear (and preferably simple) method for people to convert their existing custom UIs to the new system.
    Metanis and Nennius like this.
  5. Sam Hyde I'm a monster but not an NPC

Having custom modded my own UI for a 4k monitor, I'm pretty confident in saying I could bang out at least one UI element per day if I worked for DPG. Any newer code I don't understand I can just google and fake it till I make it. Finish all the windows in 2 weeks and start testing. I feel like it's just an easy paycheck for these guys. None of them have passion for EQ, Even the community manager said their favorite game was Hearthstone or something.
    Metanis and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  6. Kalamos Augur

It's not hard to read, but it definitely has a blur to it, or a lack of crispness, to my eyes. Others have complained of the same. I don't know if it's the bold typeface, or the font itself, but it gives me a little bit of eye strain trying to focus on it. Again, it's completely readable. Just a bit ... "not sharp"?

This is not a major issue for me though. The window foreground/background thing between old and new UI elements is the current dealbreaker for me. Although this: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ind-the-inventory-window.290678/#post-4225036 was posted a year ago so I'm not holding my breath.
  7. Lodestar The Undefeated

The font crispness is a dealbreaker. Get someone with 20/10 vision and a reference-calibrated IPS 1440P+ monitor and you will see the issue.

It may also be a function of ClearType or their implementation of it perhaps (which may be dependent on your OS, not entirely sure). Without reading any of the details in the below article, the first image (on the right) of 4X zoom visualizes what the new UI font looks like when compared to old UI. And it's more of a general crispness issue, and may or may not relate to subpixel RGB rasterization.

https://int10h.org/blog/2016/01/windows-cleartype-truetype-fonts-embedded-bitmaps/#:~:text=Without ClearType, the TrueType outlines,, "overflowing" the grid.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  8. uberkingkong Augur

Speaking of UI.

shake my head

Launch EQ > Click on Teek server > a popup que message.
    After you close.

You have no idea your in que, you have no idea what position in que you are in. You have no idea of nothing.

shake my head
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

Who cares about TLP?
  10. uberkingkong Augur

The mass amount of people trying to login.
    Some people they coming back to EQ, they leaving their current game to come back.

Impressions are happening right now.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

He said some have been converted. That is 100% correct. And yes some have had issues but many of us have had no or next to know problems too. They have all worked for me since the beginning and I still use those converted.

Don't tell him he is wrong when he wasn't wrong.
  12. Kyzvs Augur

That would be me then (with my glasses), I run EQ on a 27" 1440p, a 32" 1440p and a 27" 1920x1200 oddball Dell monitor - the main is the 32. It's not that I don't see it - it's more that it's not a deal breaker.

What I find more irritating is that it isn't constant. I'm sure I can see the blur change as I interact with some windows and that *is* irritating. I do spend more time looking at the world than the text however, so while it's irritating - I'm not sure it's a world-ending issue tbh. I find broken Draniks instances and the way character generation sometimes loses a class / deity after choosing a random face (lost 2x 100 heroics on that one!) for example takes up much more of my EQ patience.
    Metanis likes this.
  13. Lodestar The Undefeated

I will no longer play this game if they force new UI and its blurriness and don't fix it.

I've played since launch in 1999, and will unsubscribe all 14 accounts if that day ever comes.

Others may not quit, but some will just end up with migraines instead.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I doubt they will force an bluriness on anyone. Is bluriness a word?

I just want to be able to scale my chat so I don't have to squint. Since I love 4k display I settle for the small text that /chatsize 8 gives me. And the fact it doesn't save in any chat box except the main one and I have to set all my chat boxes each time I log in. Never knew why only some chat sizes will save.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Dictionary Definitions from Oxford Languages

blur·ri·ness

/ˈblərēnəs/

With my eyes at 64 I call it normal.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Iven the Lunatic

17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Smedley has really aged badly. :cool:
  18. MiataDriver Augur

I don't use it because it is broken. Windows stay on top, breaks my custom UI mods, just see no reason to switch.
  19. Iven the Lunatic

Smedley ? It is just an evil old man with bad eyes and he does hate peppa pig. ;) *Muahaha*
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

If you click the server again to log in it tells you how long you have been in the queue, they can't tell you how long it will take as they do not now how long it will be before players log off or move out of the char creation window.

Since the patch last week there has been no queue. So this is no longer an issue.