So, about Anashti Sul...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Frogmancer, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Frogmancer Augur

I’ve been doing some thinking about lore lately. Why didn’t Quellious know who Anashti Sul was in The Broken Mirror? Like, it makes sense that Rodcet wouldn’t know - he replaced Anashti after she was banished. But Quellious was part of banishing Anashti Sul to the edge of the Void as punishment for creating undeath. Why didn’t she remember her?
  2. Absor Developer

Because in EQ there is no Anashti Sul. She only exists in the lore of EQ II. She was brought into the EQ universe when the veil between worlds was breached. The gods of EverQuest knew nothing about her until she appeared from that other universe.
  3. Frogmancer Augur

I can almost get on board with this, but it doesn’t agree with where the timeline between the two games diverged. The reality of EQ2 exists because the gods made a different decision in response to mortals attempting to free Zebuxoruk. Anashti was banished long before that, when the realities were still one.
  4. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

5. Absor Developer

True, but the reality is that both game teams have developed content and lore that pre-exists that split, and it just isn't possible to reconcile them... so we just go our own ways most of the time. :)

Timey, wimey indeed.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. Frogmancer Augur

But, like...there are a dozen ways you could have hand-waved this into canon and made it seem like the lore was internally consistent (even if it wasn’t). Here, I’ll do it for you:

The loss of Cazic-Thule and his subsequent rebirth rippled through the rest of the Pantheon causing unusual memory lapses. None of them remembered that there had ever been a god of Health besides Rodcet Nife, yet Anashti Sul’s very presence created a sense of discomfort among even the most stoic of the gods of influence.

...or how about...

Nobody really knew the price Druzzil Ro had asked of her fellow gods when she wound time backward and retrapped Zebuxoruk in his eternal prison. The memory of undeath’s dark origin and Anashti Sul’s banishment would live forever in Zebuxoruk’s unread tomes. At least, that is, until Anashti Sul found her way back into our reality.
    Ninelder and Prathun like this.
  7. GoneFission Augur

So what did Zeb do, that it was so important for him to be imprisoned in time?
  8. Frogmancer Augur

He tried to share the knowledge of the gods with mortals.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

If only that were true.
  10. IblisTheMage Augur

I would so love to have access to all this lore in a narrative, digestible format; like a novel, comic books, etc :). The sites that I have found so far are too information dense for me to be able to absorb it, I need the storytelling...
    roguerunner, Andarriel and Frogmancer like this.
  11. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

Either wrong or not exactly correct. I started EQ pack when PoP came out and even back then there was talk of a godess of life that had betrayed her place. We didn't know the name in our little circle of friends but we knew she existed. As far as why the other gods didn't remember her, her banishment was meant to erase her from existence, even in the minds of the other gods, the problem was they screwed it up but the memory change worked like a charm. Her most devout worshipers retained their memories of her and knew what had been attempted against her and their worship kept her essence from fading entirely. Sorry for the thread rez but ran across this just today while looking up TBM mission info.
  12. FranktheBank Augur

wow 4 year old necro...
  13. The real Sandaormo Augur

I had heard there was a whole story to EQ outside the Bracketed words. This proves it.