Smedley should charge us again for EQ ...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Behee, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Behee Augur

DBG should consider making people (optionally) repurchase EQ and each progression expansion, but at a reduced price. These repurchases would activate instancing of zones, and migrating EQ to DX12. They could make these purchased through the store.

Let's say we can rebuy EQ classic, call it the EQ-Instanced expansion. They use the instancing code from Old Man McKenzie to start the process of instancing the old EQ zones which already include instances for Naggy and Vox, plus lower guk. They could even leave upper Guk as it is, but at the zone to lower Guk let the player select their instance (or go there by default).

Uninstanced zones continue to be available for people who don't pay the extra. It stays the same as it is now. But raiding guilds would be able to plan for raid mob availability.

This would be a way to build EQ, expansion by expansion as the prog server accesses them. Eventually the expansions catch up to those that were designed for instancing (probably somewhere around LDoN). This code could be added to live servers as it is created, although people there wouldn't necessarily use it, but a prog server and a live server wouldn't be different to maintain and merge later if needed.

Another thing to sell us on again is DX12. On an expansion by expansion basis, they should look at making a DX12 client. It's hard to migrate the entire game at once, but trying it out on just EQ classic for a progression server would work. As expansions are added, they would get faster at the migration to a DX12 client. And, they could charge us for that as well, something like $5 per expansion via the store for the DX12 client. NO changes to the zone geometries at all, no need for new art assets. Just an engine upgrade, and nothing overwhelming for the dev team. They could look at optimizing zoning times, and maybe even things like lighting and shadow code under DX12 if they have time for it.

I know I would buy both of these upgrades to EQ on the progression servers. That plus gold access to the prog servers would help pay for updates to EQ.
  2. Sinzz Augur

better idea would be all that plus graphics engine and new models sell it for 70 dollars and call it eq next:) don't change mechanics just graphics and instancing and better coding, id buy that.
  3. Sinzz Augur

or eq reloaded ! leave old eq where it is and build on the success if folks don't want to upgrade computers to run newest graphics that's on them but I bet with eq reloaded they would draw a whole new crowd of players in .

Movies do it all the time hell most of Disney's money has been made off remakes so why hasn't the gaming industry caught on yet, I believe they just did it with homeworld and it was a huge windfall for the company.
    they could probably even cross platform it this time around for huge returns!
    Irbax_Smoo likes this.
  4. SnapVine Augur

They should charge for each post on these forums.
    Fhiele and Xanadas like this.