Slow resist rates ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by nostalgicfool, Jun 24, 2017.

1. nostalgicfool Augur

Today in Velk i noticed that the Beastie drowsy never got resisted while my targar (or targor ... well my highest level slow at 49) got resisted even with Malo line on ...

I was surprised, the beasties were on top a bit lower than me.

So i m wondering if using drowsy is not a possibility, my 40+ slow is expensive and from what i saw drowsy get much less resisted and is super cheap. TIll then i was quite sure that the highest level slow was less likely to be resisted ...

So i m wondering what slow to use, it may be much better to get a 60% slow on with a low level slow (drowsy,walking sleep, 1 T* slow) using almost no mana than to malo + high level slow (that still may get resisted) or high level slow (prob to be resisted will then be higher)....

Ps : obvsiously it depends on the encounter against a Boss you may really want the best slow on, but for trash a cheap, less resisted slow may be much better.

--> I m so furious when 49 Malo + slow get both resisted ... 300+ mana and 10 seconds totally wasted .. and i even ot it happen with a tashan on (when with a chanter i try to synchronise so that ny debuf or slow will land after tashan).
  2. nostalgicfool Augur

3. MaxTheLion Augur

This has been known for quite some time. Certain spells tend to have their lower versions resisted less. Enchanters will at times cast the 41 slow Shiftless Deeds (prior to getting a Serpent) simply because it is less resisted until the Shaman can land something better.
  4. Rhodz Augur

In spite of the venture into politics I can see your aggravation.
    I am not sure what you are seeing in that link as MRadjust is identical at 0.
    Nothing in Lucy or the raw data would indicate any difference at all as to why any difference exists between resist rates.

The perception could possibly be to blame since the higher spell resists hurt far worse and are then more memorable than a lower that costs nothing. Just a possibility or else Lucy is wrong.
    nostalgicfool likes this.
  5. TruthofEQ Elder

Yeah I didn't see anything in that list that would solve your problem. It's super tough in EQ to tell consistently what is perception and what is reality unless you test multiple times for long periods of time. I've failed FD 7 or 8 times in a row, I've also not failed FD for 20-30 times in a row. Now if I ran a test during either time the numbers would be skewed in one direction, the goal would be to run that test out of 500-1000 FD's and see what my actual success % would be.

I've mained a shammy a few times, to me it doesn't seem like any of the 1-60 chain are more resistant that others, and speaking of velks in general (not sure exactly what were you fighting), the mobs don't have high resists there. The idea of the BL's were casting faster is a possibility for sure, my guess is you know WAY more when it's resisted and how that kills your mana, so it's hard to find a true consistency. Try it solo, try and cast each slow 20 times on the same mob with malo, without malo, etc... And see if the resists are as bad as you thought. Sometimes the dice (Random number generator rolls) just aren't in your favor.

In my personal opinion after leveling a boatload of characters over the years, I almost always used the older version of a spell even when I got a new version. Just because the mana on fizzles/resists is killer unless you are a twink or raid geared character. I've used this method on clerics, enchanters, shamans, and necros in general, but this can be reasonably used for a lot of classes. Take Pacify for example, clerics and enchanters get it pretty early. Well it's 100 mana a cast, and some rooms might have 5+ mobs, that's 500 mana just to hopefully get a room split up. And this doesn't include any fizzles or fails. When you get this spell in the 30's, 500 mana is maybe half your mana if not more depending gear/race. So why not use a lower end spell to save 200-300 mana easy! Of course the spells are less effective and that's the reason you get upgrades, but if you are having mana issues, then you gotta switch up the strategy.
  6. Grouchy-Phini New Member

7. CaptainSkeet Augur

When I was leveling in Velks, I would have two slows loaded. You don't really need the highest level slow there, especially now that we are in PoP+. Would default to the lower level slow, and if it was resisted cast the higher level one. Didn't have much resist issues, but having two slows loaded was nice when no CC was available to avoid the cool down on each slow (aside from the global cooldown).
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Is that for an emulated server? Obviously a lot of it is the same as EQ.
  9. Quazilla Journeyman

Slow resist rates are determined by:
    Resist type (Most shaman spells are magic, but we get some Disease based)
    Resist Adjust (negative numbers are better)
    The resist type modified by Resist adjust is applied to the mobs resists (I don't know if there are any sites with these documented anywhere.)
    Caster level vs Mob level

Anything else is just bad luck/perception.
    You can find out the Resist adjust and Resist type through allakazam when looking at the spell itself.
    Keep in mind when down ranking, most of the lower level spells will cap out at a max % slow, or have lower duration's. With a quick killing group these most likely won't matter.
  10. Grouchy-Phini New Member

It's the most custom server ever made with tweaked and completely changed values for just about everything so I wouldn't try to apply anything on that wiki to actual Everquest.
  11. Rhodz Augur

Always use Lucy for that info but the numbers on the site for MR matched but yeah it is an .