SK's need to be useful again.

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Zantor, Jul 1, 2014.

1. sojero One hit wonder

We were given reflective tap (hate portion) originally in Underfoot with the first dire, but they changed it because they said it was not SK'ish. There is a reason many of us have not suggested that. That was also when we learned the dmg could be unlinked from the lifetap.

edited to clairfy what was reflected
  2. shiftie Augur

I'm well aware of that and the real reason was because it was broken and they couldn't get the hate to reflect properly it went live broken.

They need to change sk life taps across the board. It frees them up to have the damage increased without worry of increased healing.

The question is would sk give up double dmg dbl healing procs and casts via twin cast and twinproc for a more streamlined and on demand route? The cleric version heals even I the dmg is resisted btw.
  3. Denyu Lorekeeper

The only twin cast we get is a clicky with a 5 minute recast. Only our procs can twincast. Personally I've wanted the spells split for quite awhile, we could get multiple taps per expansion with varying damage and heal amounts to give us more options and it keeps it more balanced and reliable.
  4. IDotPeople Augur

Make Dire something more useful sure, but changing existing proc taps/lifetaps would be a sidegrade at best, and most likely a downgrade overall. I get where you are going with this, but it is sacrificing our own ability to tank in raid/group to help other tanks more, which I really don't like.

Edit: I'm also not sure they'd really go for this, as it may get way too strong raidwise if you have enough SKs in the mix, possibly even groupwise. ToTC is pretty strong just for us really, and make it 3-12 times as much or more, we could be talking set the SKs up, afk to a win on tank and spank mobs.

Not sure I get your vision here, but sounds reasonable enough.

Yes, we really should, I absolutely hated fighting brownies at current level who had this going. Would be so useful.

Sounds fun. Speaking of avenues that don't require dps, here is an idea I had for anti-mezz:

Bitter Grudge: SK is able to self dot themselves at will, for let's say 5-10 % their HP a tick. It lasts a long time, say 5 mins or so, and is not removable at will or anything. Would give the desired anti-mezz effect, at a pretty heavy cost.
  5. Riou EQResource

It's because Monk's kick booster debuff on the mob blocks T'vyls from landing, until they stack you will prob never get it to stick unless you force your Monks not to use that ability (which will cause them to lose up to half their DPS, but should be a raid wide DPS gain)
  6. Zantor Augur

Ahh so more stacking issues which still makes it useless. But good to know it is stacking issues.
  7. Brosa Augur

For the love of the tribunal soe please make SKs useful again! This thread is 8 pages long now! Obviously they can't tank, pull or dps anymore so they need a complete overhaul!

Ok all joking aside there is some good info in here I didn't know about before...mainly because I'm a warrior... you all haven't even had a reply form a dev yet?
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

I'm fairly certain they've read the thread and making multiple posts focusing on, 'whar response whar?' isn't necessary; it would just clutter it up and detract from the goal of the thread.
  9. Brosa Augur

Direct responses from Devs to "hot" topics is always a plus. Never have I seen anyone complain about that. Eight pages without a response to anything specific is appalling.
  10. Brohg Augur

hot is subjective.
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

I think we'll be ok but thanks for your concern.
    Ravengloome and feiddan like this.
  12. IDotPeople Augur

Wait, we are happy to let this thread die a slow useless death in isolation? I am confused.
  13. Khat_Nip Meow

That's not what I said at all.
  14. Eggborn Lorekeeper

lol ok ok
  15. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

I think T'Vyl's is a step in the right direction. If the debuff lasted longer, it wouldn't necessarily help. If you only need one SK to keep their debuffs up, it doesn't make the class more desirable. With a 12s duration, you're more likely to get more powerful effects (T'Vyl's is 50% increased melee dmg vs. Funeral Dirge 21%). I do think an adjustment of the 75% chance would be reasonable (maybe with future AA ranks).

A great way for SKs to be improved would be via upgrading their group taps. This makes SKs desirable to have in a given group, but also gives them variability in placement (they help both a tank group and a DPS group). WAR and PAL both have short term group buffs that are far beyond what SKs can do, and SKs have had these group taps since Luclin, so the premise is there.

Originally SKs had 3 group taps - AC, ATK, and STR/STA. If these spells were to see a substantial upgrade, enough so that they were highly beneficial to a single group, more SKs might find themselves a slot in previously overfilled raids.

Some ideas: (all of these are playing off the concept of SK's "siphoning" things from the enemy)
    • Melee:
      - A version of T'Vyl's with a recourse on the group to increase hit damage %.
      - A debuff that "overslows" the mob (Increase Melee Delay %) and grants your group HHE (Decrease Melee Delay %) in return.
    • Spell:
      - A version of Scarlet Blade with a recourse that gives the group a substantial spell damage bonus (with a small hit limit). It could also debuff the mob with a spell damage bonus (i.e. druid debuffs).
      - A debuff that gives a damage bonus to incoming poison/disease/corruption spells, with a group recourse of DoT crit chance/damage %, or a bonus to the same spell damage types for the group.
    • Defensive/Regen:
      - A group AC tap like Demand for Power (substantial AC buff that decays with time) that additionally either gives + aggro over time for the group, or increases hate generated by a significant %.
      - A group AC tap that also adds a defensive proc with bonus aggro. This could be a lifetap proc or a rune (i.e. Grelleth's Carapace/Skin)
      - A self only melee proc that sieves mana and/or endurance and gives it to the SK's group.

Tank group AC buffs comparison: (note AotI/FG/Imp Command aren't sustainable like the SK AC tap)

[38009] Group Armor of the Inquisitor
    Classes: PAL/254
    Target: Target Group
    Duration: 2.2m (22 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    3: Increase Healing Taken by 58%
    7: Increase AC by 435

[34038/15514] Field Guardian Rk. III
    Classes: WAR/100
    Skill: Defense (Combat Skill)
    Endurance: 702
    Target: Target Group (If Not Pet)
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 1.5s, Timer: 10
    Duration: 36s (6 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    6: Increase AC by 538

[38247] Imperator's Command
    Classes: WAR/254
    Target: Caster Group
    Duration: 60s (10 ticks), Extendable: No, Dispelable: Yes
    2: Increase Current HP by 8850
    3: Increase Current Mana by 375 per tick
    7: Increase AC by 100
    10: Increase Max HP by 8850

[40153] Torrent of Agony Recourse III
    Target: Caster Group
    Duration: 6m (60 ticks), Extendable: Yes, Dispelable: Yes
    6: Increase AC by 80

The SK AC tap is so small it's not even worth the buff/spell slot. It also doesn't stack with Field Guardian.
    feiddan likes this.
  16. Drakang Augur

Grouping things that increase group damage and attack would be nice, along with improved AC where torrent of agony is worth memming.

Raiding I really don't want to be in the DPS group. So focusing on Healing, AC, Increasing our ability to feed mana back to the group to a level that makes a difference. Debuffing the mob with a debuff that is worth putting on the mob and taking a spell slot. All those would be good areas to focus and I think all have given good ideas. Just have to hope they implement some.
  17. Zantor Augur

Agreed, SK's belong in tank groups, not DPS groups, so any auras and AA's / discs we get should help out tanking and or healing abilities.
  18. Ineptocracy Leader Elder

Do SKs have anything like the dmg mitigation abilities Paladins and Wars have? I mean stun and phalanx? If not, maybe a fully stackable atk reducer on the mob for Targets Target (when cast).
    In my head it should truly suck to fight an SK, it might not hit that hard or take endless dmg but youll get weaker and weaker as the fight progress. That could be visioned as debuffs, maybe even stackable so 1 sk drains say 8% , two 16% of mob stat X.
  19. Zarzac Augur

SK's have nothing that really "counters" a Pally stun. Our hate spells are hate only.

From what I understand Phalanx is not all that useful as it doesn't stack with clr Vie line of mitigation buffs.
  20. Ravengloome Augur

^ But the Sword and Board stance does (I believe?)