Skill ups 40+

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by phattoni, Sep 19, 2014.

1. phattoni Augur

thanks for all the info btw, but this doesnt help when a new player comes along and runs into this, i have the time and ability to sit for days leveling up my skills, not sure this is something a new player wants to do.

and its literally going to take days, the skill ups are not coming that fast, evocation is taking 20+ mins of non stop casting just to get 1 skill up...
  2. hakmer Augur

go to your guild master in pok and buy skill ups with your training points...just make sure u buy the proper skill points for what you want skilled up..
  3. phattoni Augur

that would be a good route to go if i wasnt on a new server with a new char, to buy the skill ups is going to cost a lot of money, which i dont have, so this isnt a valid route.

fixing the skill up system however would solve all the problems, work arounds are nice, but they arent a fix for new players...
  4. hakmer Augur

up to a certain point skill ups are free.. if you aren't looting what you kill.. well.. noone but yourself to blame on that.. if you are leveling that fast should be plenty of dead bodies to loot.. and depending on how high your skill is.. the cost is not extravagant.
    Yther likes this.
  5. Yther Augur

It's not like it's hard for even a 40ish level toon to earn 1Kp/hr farming without serious effort (Giants). Heck Gnolls in Crescent Reach drop 5-10pp fine steel items and they're only in their early teens.

The game is designed to balance things out. Back in the original days, almost every potion had a benefit and a detriment. /shrug
  6. Dre. Altoholic

INT at 255?
  7. Mulerien Elder

You say you are on TLP server, which one? If you are on fippy you can send downtoplow a tell; if you are on vulak, I'd suggest you run while you can and reroll to fippy.
  8. phattoni Augur

i started out on vulak and rerolled fippy, vulak sucks.
  9. phattoni Augur

yea int is capped finally, took a few days to get lucky on drops, didnt see much in bazaar :)
  10. phattoni Augur

im not trying to complain about this, as it is my fault for leveling with a merc, but workarounds shouldnt be needed.

the skill system is broken for the current state of the game.
  11. phattoni Augur

thanks Citizerg/Mulerien/Pubak for the help :)
  12. phattoni Augur

cost just over 5.5k plat to fix skills at guild master. i started to do it out of pocket and ran out of money quickly, Citizerg hooked me up with some cash and i was able to fix everything :)
  13. phattoni Augur

this is still a problem, and still needs to be looked at...
  14. Sebbina Augur

I make a new character, and PL it, usually one essential skill gets points Evocation maybe Alteration, not until 62 do I concern myself with rounding out the skills. At 62 the first level of Mastery of the past makes all spells 54 and below non fizz, and 63 and 64 the AA can increase that to level 58 spells. Even a maxed character risks fizzle, MofP tops out at level 96 spells leaving the most recent spells subject to a wasted cast. Usually if I am developing the character to play, at 61/62 I get it and merc buffed out and let them play with the level 60 ish mobs deep in Temple of Droga, as the XP pace and AA grind slows down, and spell and melee skills can be worked on.
    Annastasya and Yther like this.
  15. phattoni Augur

thanks for the info forgot about MotP :)
  16. Burdi Augur

Skills up can be bought to the guild master.
    Slowness of skill up has always been there.
    The game does not provide opportunities to train skill like open lock, trap...
  17. Annastasya Augur

level 50 is not the point to start worrying about this if you are trying to level up quickly. In the 60s and low 70s is when things start to slow down when you are leveling with just a merc and yourself. The monsters outside of the first ~4 expansions have considerably more hitpoints, and fights will take longer- this is your opportunity to bandolier different weapon sets, or cast spell lines youve neglected.

It sounds very much like you want this game to be like World of Warcraft or other fast paced-hand you everything on a silver platter- type MMOs. Everquest leveling has sped up and been trivialized incredibly since it originally came out. Several players responding to this thread have laid out options for you, but the base game mechanics are just not fast enough for you.

Perhaps this is the wrong game for you. i've leveled up many alts to the 60ish range because i very much enjoy the low level game. The pace is fine. If you want max skills every level, put the merc away, learn all the ins and outs of surviving on your own and those skills will keep pace.
  18. Tatankawolfdancer Elder

Here's what you do: load a spell gem with low mana usage, tie it to a hot key that's easy to press, and then tape/hold that key down.

Now go to bed. Come back the next day with skill ups :)

Tat
  19. Sebbina Augur

Actually, the OP was satisfied once I mentioned the Mastery of the Past AA line, and realized that just leveling to 62 would solve much of the fizzle problem. Sometimes we come up against a simple problem and until the simple solution is pointed out and we get that "aha", we keep locking onto the annoyance. Certainly, skill points will come with time as long as we use lesser spells, the fizzles are reduced and once we can use spells protected by MotP we can cast in combat with confidence, and as leveling and time to acquire AA slows the advance the skills most used will advance to max, some like divination often lag. It should be noted that fizzle is an intended part of spell casting, and MotP never covers a players high end spells (currently covers to level 96). So if some one reads through this topic, there is probably no longer a need to comment on the OP apparent Tunnel Vision, something that usually gets us all once in a while and if we can get past it, and can carry on.