SK VS MONK duoed with a SHAMAN

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by FENDER42, Feb 5, 2016.

1. FENDER42 Lorekeeper

Hey guys just trying to get dome insight here on this topic from experienced players. Which is a better duo shaman/Sk or Shaman/Monk for loot farming in velious/dungeon Crawling, and Named Trophy killing? Please canyon elaborate on these questions.
  2. Varisath Elder

SK/Shaman

In modern EQ, the SK can effectively outdps the Monk on almost every "named" mob unless he can't land his lifetaps. With Unholy Aura disc an SK can pretty much out dps basically any class. On top of that, they have plate armor and can obviously tank better than the monk too. Also the Shaman's torpor spell won't really bother the SK with the slow, whereas your monk becomes completely useless while torpor is running. Along with that, the SK can gather up aggro so easily and he can tank/aggro multiple adds if need be, whereas adds can become troublesome for the Monk to manage.
  3. FENDER42 Lorekeeper

So monk is lower on dps really?, I thought Monk was far superior in dp than SK
  4. Ducreux Augur

It really depends on what era, raid vs group gear, and how long the fight is going to be.
  5. Healiez Augur

saying a shadowknight is similar dps to a monk is like saying a druid has similar healing to a cleric
    Skewert likes this.
  6. Varisath Elder

Did you even read the OPs post? He wants to dungeon crawl and named hunt. I don't think he has an epic'd and tricked out monk. An almost completely naked level 60 SK with a Shaman healing him can blast through probably any group named in Velious. We're not discussing who can out-parse who with best-in-slot characters on a Vulak fight here.
  7. Galt New Member

DPS alone is not a good way to look at it. The SK brings in a ton of additional utility like snare, snap aggro, and interrupting spells.
    Skewert likes this.
  8. Healiez Augur

Did you even read the posts after the OP's post. Someone claimed a shadowknight is the same if not more dps then a monk. Was responding to that.

Truth of the matter is, for a LONG time if you cant do it on monk/Sham you wont be able to do it on SK/Sham. Just depends what you like. SK/sham will be slightly tankier, Monk/shaman will be much higher dps.
  9. GrugSA Augur

Pros to monk

Better FD
    Better DPS
    Easier to get longer lasting epic and less gear dependent

Pros to SK

More tanking/ taps 4 heals
    IVU
    Snare
    Some shared mana regen PoP and beyond

SK is the better combo and will allow you to duo a few things that you can't with a monk. But play what you pref. I would go Troll Innoruuk sham if you decide to go monk, Regent symbol of Innoruuk is really nice if you don't have snare.
  10. Varisath Elder

In a group setting like we're talking about, an SK can do more with less gear. Couple that with the Shaman casting Torpor and the SK doesn't mind so much that he can't auto attack because he can cast lifetaps and aggro spells while his heal is ticking.

If you read my first post where I say an SK out dps's a monk and read nothing else with no context then yeah, ok. But I was responding directly to his question and what he wanted to do in the game. And with that I think if somebody was just firing up a duo and grinding them to 60 to hunt around Velious and down nostalgia lane then I still feel like SK is better than monk.

I will concede that since I didn't quote him directly and my wording is pretty dubious that it does sound like otherwise.
  11. Healiez Augur

This question will forever be argued.

In my personal opinion, Monk/Shaman edges out SK/Shaman until around omens of war when SK/Shaman starts to take over being the stronger DUO.

Granted throughout the expansions up until like SoD, if monk shaman cant do it, I doubt SK/Sham can either. in the early game monks just do so much more DPS that it easily trumps the slightly better tanking SK's have. (monks are really sick tanks for a good while). However SK damage does slightly improve over the expansions, it never aproaches monk level dps, however their tanking ability does outpace monks quite a bit.
  12. Healiez Augur

I will say if you want a duo that you can add 4 more people to and group anywhere I would go SK/Sham
    Skewert likes this.
  13. GrugSA Augur

There are nameds SKs can solo in Kunark-PoP that monk/shammie won't be able to duo.
  14. Healiez Augur

I would be curious to know which ones?
    Skewert likes this.
  15. Drexll Augur

I think in the long run sk/shm would be better. Even with slows, we're gonna hit the point where mobs hit for BIG damage. SK will have more survivability, I think.
  16. Ultrazen Augur

I'd go SK, the difference in DPS is more complicated than just 'the monk does more dps'. Both SKs and Monks have ways to heal their own damage, in the long run, that actually ends up being fairly close. The difference is, the SK has less minute to minute incoming damage, which allows the shaman to DPS more and not run out of mana. It's a damage over time vs mitigation vs mana usage problem.

At the end of the day, they will both work, it's easier, a bit safer, and slightly slower with the SK. There are a couple of quality of life things that are really handy on the SK, invis to undead, and a castable, reliable snare are huge, especially in older content where you are often indoors with a high density of mobs.

All that being said, Shaman alone can solo a lot of Kunark and Velious era stuff, where they are arguably the god class of the era. To that end, you need to baby sit the SK much less than you do the monk, and it lets the shaman use more of his abilities.

It's also a lot easier to add DPS to your group than it is to find a qualified tank, when you do decide you want to group for whatever reason.

I love monk/shaman, I've played it a lot as a 2 box, it's one of the better ones in the game, but SK/Sha is just bullet proof.

Just as an aside, I'll throw a wrench at you. Given how good shaman are in Velious and Kunark, the other class you could consider would be a necro. More DPS than monk, ability to seriously heal themselves on an ongoing basis, pet for off tanking, both kinds of invis, FD pulling/splitting. Sha/Necro is one of the under rated sleeper combos, that no one really talks about much, but a seriously powerful combo, especially in that era. The nice thing about the necro, is that you can root rot stuff *really* quickly with a shaman, it gives you more ways to approach fights. With shaman slows, tanking is a non issue on most mobs. Hell, necros can drain tank most stuff with a slow on it if need be.
  17. GrugSA Augur

Anything that isn't slowable that an SK can tap tank but a shammie can't keep a monk healed on Wybjorn in BoT is the one that sticks out in my memory. There are also areas in chardok an SK can invis or be non-kos to and just blow some CDs and Mana to kill a named with a few adds beating on him then FD. Can't really do it with monk/sham.
    Skewert and Bewts like this.
  18. Bewts Augur

Simply speaking, snap aggro puts your shaman in a position to slow on incoming and then immediately start rotting mobs. Cannot say the same about a monk. Hell you can probably pull with slow from the shaman and still have the SK snap it away before the mob touches your shammy.

Considering you're going to be slowing (and presumably dps'ing on the shaman), you're going to be relying on Monk DPS and procs to keep aggro in comparison to the SK that has an artillery of aggro options that can snap away from basically anyone.

All other things being held constant, that pretty much seals the deal for me on SK/Sha over Monk/Sha. I'll be able to bring more DPS to the table and much faster with a shaman over the SK.

Slowed mobs are simply easy mode in almost all group content, so the faster that happens the easier group content gets - grinding, named or pushing your limits on what you can duo.

Something to also consider: A few tanks over the years have said they simply "ran out of AC" when a bad round takes them out/down faster than normal. When mobs start hitting like trucks, that extra AC is a little easier to come by for an SK than a monk that may require raid level loot to tank similarly.

I'd also like to reiterate a few others that have mentioned it. SK is a legit full group tank in basically every era. Same thing cannot be said about a monk, especially a monk that is rocking simply group content gear. With an SK you can just add DPS. With a monk, things get... tricky if you're not adding a class that can hold aggro - especially if people are not used to a monk tanking.
    Skewert likes this.
  19. Poydras Augur

SK is the overall best choice on paper. But I find it a ton of maintenance to keep a tank alt geared up enough for current content. Do you plan to do smithing and/or farm/spend tons o' plat? The shaman will probably put out better sustained dps than the sk for early expansions, since he gets canni.

If one of them will be played as a main and raid it makes a huge difference. Generally if you box and raid, then those who can get raid gear on their tanks can box stuff no one else can. Far and away, the game is kinda dumb in this regard. Those of us who prefer to provide a more useful utility to our guilds make a big sacrifice here. So jump at the chance to raid with the SK. If you want to main the shammy on the other hand, he will be able to handle a hello of a lot more himself and so you have more flexibility in choosing the box.
  20. Coach_Kegadin Augur

If you are really just trying to kill nameds, Chanter/Cleric is the best duo by far. There is no comparison.