SK spell casting question....

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Tatanka, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I was making some in-game macros for my SK, and ran into something unexpected.

I've played mostly casters over the years, and expect the spellbar to be disabled (greyed out) for the duration of the casted spell plus the GCD (1.5) seconds. So, in a script, I can make a pretty good guess on how long of a pause to make, and then fine tune it from there.

What I found in making my SK macro is that there are several spells which have an instant (or almost instant) casting time, but the GCD doesn't start right away. What I see (normally) is that while spells are actively casting, the gem on the spellbar is greyed out, but with a reddish timer bar counting down over that gem. Once that reddish bar gets to the bottom (which is when the spell has finished casting), THEN the GCD kicks in (while all spell gems are still greyed out). But for these instacast or super quick spells for my SK, that reddish timer bar over the spell gem is still there counting down, in what looks like a 1-1.5 second timer, and the GCD doesn't start til that's done. The net result is, you can't cast the next spell until about 3 seconds after the previous spell goes off. Is this intended? A bug?
  2. Szilent Augur

59097 Bond of Vulak Rk. II
    111 8937 0s 10s 42s+ Magic -220 Single
    Stacking: Bond of Inruku 27
    Quiet: 3s
    3: Decrease Current HP by 3682 per tick
    4: Return 150% of Spell Damage as HP, Max Per Hit: 16569
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks. I've literally never heard of that parameter before ("Rest" or "Quiet"). Is this specific to SKs?

Also, looking at raidloot for this (and similar) spells, it looks like this:

[59126/13809] Blood of Ikatiar
    Classes: SHD/112
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 7917
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Poison -100
    Reflectable: Yes
    Trigger Spell DS: Yes
    Stacking: Blood of Inruku 26
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 3s

With the 3 second "Rest" timer, what's the point of the 1.5 second recast timer? It will literally NEVER let you cast it again in 1.5 seconds.
  4. Szilent Augur

It is also a feature of Paladin Burst heal line, and beastlord dots
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Rest or Quiet is liked being silenced. You cannot cast any spell for that duration. As noted, the paladin Burst heal line started out at 6s of quiet which was a painful cost for a class whose niche is emergency saves. Since level 83 that's been reduced to 3s.
  6. Szilent Augur

It's my feeling that too many paladins dismiss the degree of penalty that 3sec still represents, too, when they go ahead with Bursts in, like, a spam casting line up. That's a whole 'nother spell and then some being given up. :oops:
    Warpeace likes this.
  7. Livvy_CT Elder

I would agree bursts shouldn’t be on a spam key, i use it as an emergency heal, there’s much better choices for spam keys.
  8. Chaosflux Augur

Penitence line only has .5s rest and i think thats just as overlooked.
  9. Shapiro New Member

I use only one simple spell macro for my SK, and I use it after I land protest and sometimes darkness on pulls. It’s pretty much Terror, Thwart, Bond, and pet attack. During that quiet/rest period I can still use AA bite, rending blade, and maybe some oh crap buttons or aggro generators. After that it’s pretty much multibind life tapping throughout the fight.

I also have two separate macros I use for buffing up.

Other than that I prefer casting spells as the situation calls for it without macros