SK help needed

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Plixar, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Plixar New Member

33 SK
    I seem to always be looking for the next piece of armor, a better weapon or a better shield.
    Is there a link that shows by level where what is? Or a link to armor quest givers by level? Advise?

Thank you.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I have nothing specific to offer until higher levels (65+), where each expansion had set armor/weapon itemization set up.

For the lower levels, the original EQ had really bad itemization, and things were just spread all over. You can try using ZAM (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/adv_search.html but note you must have a ZAM sub in order to use the advanced search) or EQresource (https://items.eqresource.com/itemsearch.php?s=advanced) to do some searches, but the easiest advice I can give is to look for Defiant drops while you hunt, and in the Bazaar. At level 33, you're looking for Ornate Defiant (and Plate, since you're an SK). Doing the Teek dailies (Franklin, not Clayton) will also get you the shoulder, waist and back Defiant pieces. And since level 37 isn't that far away, start looking for Flawed Defiant Plate to replace it.

For the non-visible slots, there is Defiant gear, but it's named a bit differently. Just do a Bazaar search, filtering on "Defiant", your class, and the slot, and you'll see what's available.

The other thing I would recommend is tradeskilled items, especially for the jewelry slots (ears, face, neck, fingers, so 6 slots total). There is some really nice items to be had. The settings have "trio" or "compartmented" in the name. Ask a tradeskiller about making these for you. At level 33, you can have the gold settings made, which will last til you hit level 40, and can then have platinum settings made. These settings are not attunable, which means as you upgrade them, you can then sell the old one, or keep it for another alt. The gems which go in them are also made by jewelcrafters, and you want to look for pear cut Underfoot diamonds. These have no level restriction, and add a nice amount of HP, mana and endurance. These DO attune to you, so you can't sell/pass them on, but you CAN move them to the next better setting as you level, and the stats will continue to improve as you do this.

There is also crafted "cultural" armor to look into. I don't know what your race is, but depending on how common/rare it is, you may be able to find a smith to make you a set appropriate for your level. Too many details to go into, but that's a couple breadcrumbs to start you on the trail :)

Best of luck, and if you happen to be on the Tunare server, send me a PM here on the forums, and I can give/make some stuff to get you going.

Tat
    Quatr and Plixar like this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Forgot to mention, for the 6 jewelry slots (face, neck, ears, fingers), the only Defiant pieces available are from a vendor in PoK, right next to the loyalty vendor. However, they're not all that great, and cost a fair amount of plat for their level. That was the main reason I mentioned the crafted jewelry.
  4. Ceffener Augur

Also your Tank Merc will be 100% better than you (and a better fit than healer) until 60+.

Really until 75 when you can get out of defiant and start getting AC augs it’s better/faster/easier to just let the Merc tank.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Except for keeping your defense/riposte/etc skills up to date.
    Quatr likes this.
  6. Sylence New Member

get a haste item , a 2h weapon, and buffs. Let your merc tank.

If you really want gear, defiant gear is generally the best except for twink items from raids for low levels:

https://almarsguides.com/eq/general/defiantgear.cfm

Like so many other things in EQ defiant gear may not be easily available.

Starting an SK from scratch in today's EQ environment is really tough, without a box team its virtually impossible. Tanks in general, require more gear than any other character - literally every slot matters while tanking. Your tank merc can really help you till about 60. Then you will encounter a huge dry spot.

If you are enjoying EQ, I highly suggest buying a heroic toon, which bumps you to 85 with full gear and spell book. This is still a huge chasm to 110, but at least at 85 you can group with 110s for xp. An Heroic SK should focus entirely on camping gear upgrades - the levels will come well before the gear does.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I did not find it hard starting from scratch with my SK. Sure he wasn't superman in the lower levels but I did the tutorial then followed thru Cresent Reach quests to Moors etc. As I leveled the drops off mobs also leveled and I got appropriate gear and weapons. At level 20 I started doing dailys which gave me a choice of 3 armors some plat and often I found hot zone augs that were cool. I used my pet a lot and of course he dies a lot so always carry tons of bone chips. I have always used a healer merc cause I am a tank and need to develop tanking type skills. Now at level 80 and it was not that hard. I would much rather have the feeling of accomplishment that journey took than to have made him level 85 with no knowledge of the class.
    Vexvox and Quatr like this.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

Back when 65 was max lvl and there was no mercs I loved the solo game. Once you learn how to survive without a merc, think how easy it should be with one. Todays leveling seems super fast to back then but meh. Oh, and always use your pet. I dont understand sk that do not. I think of it as a one cast Dott. Of course life is easier once you have better control over your pet (greater hold). Keep at it if you really love eh class, it gets way better as you go along. Good luck!