SK Help and Advice NEEDED

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Rednexx, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Rednexx New Member

Ok. First off, I am a returning player. Have only been playing about 2 months. Last time I played was the 1999-2004 era.

I am currently a level 103 Ogre SK. I can not seem to solo or molo mobs my level without dying. I spike very hard with damage. Truly believe a rotten tomato could kick my booty!! What should my AC be? It's sitting at about 3k (self buffed); which I believe may be extremely low. But eh what do I know.

Lastly could any of my fellow SK's possibly post the macro's and/or rotations they use?

Yes I know I suck. You can save those comments lmao. Thanks in advance for any guidance and knowledge you all can drop on me. Tired of feeling like a complete nub!
  2. Rednexx New Member

Possibly important note to mention. Only AA's I have is the 15k auto granted.
  3. Brohg Augur

4. Durbah Lorekeeper

Man, you shouldn't be struggling that bad, I stopped at 106 to get some defensive AA's because that was conflagrant gear and i had a full set, and at 106 with all my defensive AAs maxed out I was tanking in Sathir's Tomb with a healer merc, and of course it was only with a decent group. Before that tho it wasn't so bad, don't be afraid to use discs, there are tons that can be rotated and are up fairly often. Spell lineup is super important too. I got 4 taps on my bar, level 100 touch, level 105 touch, level 105 dire and dicho fang, all of them cast in a specific order so i can life tap a lot. Not to include bond line, basically if it's not being mezzed, bond it. If you are tanking always go sword and board, without it you lose combat stability which will lower your AC softcap by about 1k maybe more.

Third always have your skin buff on, and i prefer to use the stance line too, as well as torrent line for more AC. for power line also increases AC. Basically you always want to be casting, if you can. There are times where I run out of good spells to cast but it's rare. But you want those theft of lines to proc as much as possible, especially theft of defense. Under your focus tab, buy the withstand line buffs. It winds up absorbing 90% dmg over 5 hits over 12 seconds, really low reuse time too, i think it's 15 second reuse i wanna say. It does take a lot of stamina, but if you need it you need it. I tend to save it for when my HP spikes. But I will use it religiously on bosses.

DON'T FORGET YOUR SKIN LINE! At 103 you should be using Grelleth's Skin. Hude smg absorber for just some mana. Granted it procs randomly but i promise you, it will save you some heartache. And one of the mage DS's overwrites it so make sure if you got a mage he isn't using that on you. You need that skin line.
  5. Mell Journeyman

Self buffed AC 3000 at 103 is way too low.You got to spend some times to camp armors/augs or just kill those easy mobs,level to 106 then buy those RoS tradeable armors.

Go get a good shield and put the highest AC you could get on it
    Go to PoK and get the Gnoll illusion quest.
    Buy some good power-sources.
    Spend money on high AC food/drink.
    EoK has a good 1 hander that will reduce 1000+ incoming melee damage in every hit.
  6. Durbah Lorekeeper

Well, to be fair, at 103 3k was about where I was. At 106 i had a full set of conflagrant quite a few really good augments and i was at 5.2kish AC and i had all of my defensive AAs and everything.

Would love to know what this 1 hander is tho. 1k per hit is huge.
  7. Daedly Augur

Its the Honed Wurmslayer
  8. Outlander Engine Elder

9. Durbah Lorekeeper

Forgot to ask, how do you get the gnoll thing without doing the anniversary quest?
  10. Brohg Augur

You don't, it's unavailable
  11. Kolani Augur

Just out of curiousity, what's a proper ac for 110 with self, shaman and merc buffs? My sk is sitting at 7100, but I feel squishy at times.
  12. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Don't sweat the squishy feeling - all of us tanks get that when we die ;)

Asking for "proper ac for..." isn't likely to get you a useful answer because each player has a different definition of "proper". But, arguably, the devs design each new expansion so that it is playable by players who have "finished" the previous expansion. I say "arguably", because devs have a historical tendency to tune new content so that it is challenging for raid-geared players, making it VERY CHALLENGING for non-raiders, especially at first.

If you are not full AA and fully geared in the current expansion's gear and augs, then you aren't done yet :) In general, I think it is safe to assume:
    • That you are under-geared if you are not wearing a FULL set of gear (including augs) from the expansion that you are playing in (or later) or the expansion immediately prior.
    • That you are under-AA'd if you do not have all of the defensive and offensive AAs from the expansion that you are playing in or the expansion immediately prior.
    If you focus on wearing the right gear, your stat values will take care of themselves.
    • The best way to know where you stand, relative to other players, is to look at magelo.com.
    • The best way to know what gear is available to you is to look at one of the fan sites like eqresource or zam for each of your slots. eqresource breaks it down by expansion and tier, and that is what you want. Zam may or may not do the same.
    While I can't answer your question, I can provide my AC stats for comparison. My RoS raid-geared SK (crafted and dropped), with a TDS power source (geomantic steelstone), no stat food, no tribute, and self, merc & druid buffs, has 7351 mitigation and 3355 evasion. Keeping the same buffs, but adding in an RoS power source (Cliff Stone), RoS stat food, and tribute brings the numbers to 7876/3400.
  13. Snack Augur

Digging up an old post -- when it doesn't stack, does it choose the best one per hit? or just honor one of them?

I ask because I was swapping the Wurmslayer/Conflagrant back and forth and it 'seemed' (didn't parse anything) that I was doing better with the Conflagrant Rune rather than the Wurmslayer Guard -- but if WS Guard is messing with our bread and butter defensive mitigation discs -- that would also explain a lot.
  14. Brohg Augur

best works
  15. Flatchy Court Jester

http://eqshadowknight.net/

Ton of SK knowledge in here. Lots of the older SK still haunt this site from time to time so you can still post and get replies.

Oh and Dont forget your AA count. Levels only go so far.
  16. Leigo You come here often?

IF you are fighting mobs at your level then normal xp isnt that important. The standing rule is if a mob cons higher lvl then you it will do more damage so most want to push to max level, but TANK classes are dependent on gear and AA. The best thing you can do is max out your defensive aa for your current level and make sure you're running the gear for your level then move up. Try to avoid red cons, yellow will still be rough, but doable. Blue cons are where the money is, faster kills and not so dangerous. Make sure you're spamming your repel line as often as possible, keep your skin and stance buffs up. Solo/molo at your level will be slow, if you can get some dps to join you then you can focus on aggro and defense.
  17. Hissteria Lorekeeper

I realize that this is a dredged up post from last year, but I can offer insight anyway. The SK MUST become familiar with their disc abilities and the AA abilities that have hotkeys...and use them regularly! If you just rely on spells and melee, you are not going to make it.

The environment we fight in has accounted for all the skills each class has available and the environment assumes the player is using them. It expects you to be using those skills.

Gear is important, but not as important as the ability to play the class or understand your role. It is a role playing game after all...
    Daedly likes this.