SK: 1H/Shield vs. 2H and tanking RoS?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Sphaera, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sphaera New Member

Hello!

My SK is 110 and just learned a lesson in humility stepping into RoS. I've usualy been tanking with a 2H, as I got the EoK-rare one, and a very old and bad 1H and a decent enough shield.

Question is how much survivability do you gain with a shield? Does the 1h/shield stance stack with all the defensive discs and effects? I tanked trash in T2 trash in RoS one at a time "ok", that was with 1 cleric merc and 1 cleric spamming constantly. Seemed like I could drop from 100-30% hp in a bad round... This was all using 2H for the record.

Sitting at 3,9k ac and 205k hp buffed or so. I guess both numbers are low. I'm not quite up to date with the new ac numbers...

I guess any tips on how to get more suited to tank RoS would be appreciated. Gear wise is a mix of TBM T1 raid and RoS tradeskill gear. Noticing the latter seems to give more AC vs TBM raid armour, but not sure I'd like to trade lesser cleave / fero etc. for some more ac?

I took a break in TBM so not really had much to do with EoK and RoS yet. T'was fun that the new group content seems to be hard again, just wondering what I am doing wrong, or if you almost need raid gear to tank it...

-Sphaera
  2. p2aa Augur

RoS trash mobs hit harder than EoK ones. Use the weapon stance that allow you to survive enough, while doing DPS.
    If 2H weapon make you die, then use 1H + shield. The advantage of a shield over 2H, even if this 2H is a raid one, is very high. So upgrade your 1H and shield if need be. Since using a 2H negate some of our mitigation AA (Combat Stability), you just cripple your survivability by a very high margin compared to using a 1H and a shield. Not speaking of the shield innate advantage too for mitigation.
    I'm not a SK, but are you using your mitigation tools ?
    You have one 36 % mitigation defensive disc, that don't stack shield proficiency, but also 2 dmg capped mitigation disc who stack (35 % and 20 % mitigations discs from memory) with shield proficiency.
  3. Kamor Lorekeeper

That is the opposite of "OK". You're almost 1k ac lower than you should be for the entry level zones. Shield ac is not effected by soft caps, its the most important ac slot; add in all the lost mitigation from stance and combat stability and you're getting max hit every single round. Grab the shield from Bridgekeeper in Chardok, get the ac aug from the Chardok Heroic, the type 5 aug from Ldon, and any one hander. Best of luck.
  4. smash Augur

Type 5 aug from Ldon, which one is that?
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

6. Bigstomp Augur

Use the 1h+shield for tanking. 2h only when it becomes easy (or if someone else is tanking). There is a significant difference in your ability to tank between the two even if your shield or 1h are weaker than your 2h.
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Just an FYI you will have more AC useing hand to hand than in 2hr dps mode...

I loose around 1200 ac going from tank mode to dps mode, thats huge. Also as a tank, dont worry as much on cleave/fero etc... your job is to get beat on so others can dps the mob. You just need to hold agro.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

2H stance + healer merc + block Promise and Elixir spells wins!

Because mobs ATK and Accuracy overwhelm AC and Avoidance and Defenses.

Tanking has devolved into holding aggro, max HP, and incessant healing, especially in raids.

Might as well DPS if the main (or only) thing keeping you alive is heals.
  9. shruggz Elder

I'm on the low end of mediocre as a sk at best but here is my experience
    sword and board I can take on 2 sometimes 3 trash mobs in ROS and survive with a healer merc and a shammy as support
    in 2handed mode I'm insta-dead on a single trash mob I mean pull pop defensives and tab to the shammy to heal and by the time I get to the shammy I'm already dead.
    I'm only 107 atm, and I'm not complaining at all, I just know if I want to tank with the sk I have to use sword and board.
    that's with a mix of ros t1 eok t1 and eok t2 (and I have gotten the majority of the tanking aa up to and including 107 aa's)
    So at Wulfhere, if you have the hp pool to play that style that's great, but unless your in raid gear
    that playstyle may not work for everyone. and I have blocked silly healer merc spells
  10. Lianeb Augur

I am on phone so do not have exact numbers but here you go
    Let’s assume your softcap ac is 600 (not exact but close). Combat stability maxed is 100% to softcap, shield AC is outside the softcap let’s assume 500 to keep it round
    With these numbers your softcap 1700AC this number is important because any AC over this value you will only gain a percentage of I believe knight are something like .33 to 1 meaning approx 3 AC to gain 1.

By using 2h stance you are dropping the shield AC and the AC gained by combat stability. So not only are you losing 1100 AC in this scenario you are losing 1100 full value AC. To put that into perspective. You could probably remove all your visible armor and be close to your 2h stance AC
  11. fransisco Augur

Dont you also have a parry and dodge penalty in 2h stance (which does matter in group content)
  12. Brohg Augur

Yes

Two-Handed Proficiency I PAL/254 SHD/254 0 0s 0s 120h n/a Self
    1: Inhibit Effect: Combat Stability
    2: Increase 2H Blunt Damage v2 by 110%
    3: Increase 2H Slash Damage v2 by 110%
    4: Increase 2H Pierce Damage v2 by 110%
    5: Decrease Chance to Parry by 60%
    6: Decrease Chance to Dodge by 60%
    7: Increase 1H Slash Damage v2 by 80%