Since you made riposte worthless, let us turn it off.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dewey, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Funky Augur

the only time i ever care enough to hope i dont riposte, is if im pulling a ton of mobs in an old zone and dont want to put them in summon mode.. cuts down on my pull... so i end up using non-damage wep and shield so i can just run around grabbing mobs.
  2. Dagum Elder

How can you not understand this. Your tanking a mob. Your the only tank. Now you have adds that spawn that need mezzed. If you AE aggro then you can damage them from riposte. So your option is to AE aggro and put on non-damaging weapons, or just let whoever tank it. Because of riposte you don't AE aggro unless you first switch to non-damage weapons. Switching to non-damage weapons will start to loose agro on the mob your on. It'd just make things better to keep tanking the one your on and ae aggro and not have to worry about riposting the mob.

A good example was the trial with all the spiders. Where you just wanted to tank the boss and ignore the spiders. However; the spiders summoned. If you used wurmslayer it made it easy, but because of the summoning you had to actually kill them. Riposte off would have made it so that the dev didn't have to change it later to make the mobs not summon.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Dagum Elder

Like I get it. Your a raider surrounded with raid DPS. However; here is an example of a time where the spiders were changed to not summon. Tanks tanked with wurmslayer and the spiders got damaged from riposte. It made the 15 minutes very hard in group gear. Had there been a /riposte off button, then you'd still be able to DPS the main mob and not riposte the spiders.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/prince-ralafin-mission.255149/
  4. Lianeb Augur

That is actually a good example of why the mission was changed.

FYI you can't riposte a mezzed mob
    Thancra likes this.
  5. Dagum Elder

Thank you. Also I know that you can't riposte a mezzed mob. I'm talking about the time between the mob spawning and the mob getting mezzed. If the mob spawns right on top of a mellee and hits them and they riposte. The damage is done. Then the chanter still mezzes, but everyone always says... "Why'd you hit that mob" Then the response is always it was riposte. It doesn't always happen, but it does happen.
  6. Natal Augur

Why would the chanter care if you riposted a mob before they mezzed it?

I suppose people might be concerned about summoning, but usually you have to do X amount of damage to a mob before it starts summoning. That can be an issue of a pull if you are using pushback roots for CC and ripostes do too much damage before CC is done, but that can be controlled for by having the tank use a DS setup at that point.
  7. Natal Augur

I don't know how slow you are, or if you fight afk or something, but when I get KBed I am back within one combat round, certainly long before any AE heal that might be cast. In any case, melee ripostes are still going to be an issue unless your tank is somewhere else, in which case they are going the be KBed and your raid dps will suffer until they get the mob back again.

So, you think you are making your raid more effective, but not really.
  8. Funky Augur

so are you just kinda auto-attacking for aggro and not using abilities?.. but it's ok for someone else to riposte on a mob but not the tank.. because a tank riposte will break mez but another melee wont? ha this reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.... as a tank you should pick it all up.. that's your job.. be the meat shield... let the enchanter do his and mez/slow/etc etc..

ive never seen a target get mezzed, attack me after the mez and i riposte to break mez. just doesn't sounds right...

as far as that goes.... not accurate at all... most of the time im bouncing around with casuals or whoever in general needs a hand... if not, im boxing my SK/Bard.. and oh man.. lemme tell you how insane that dps is... lol
  9. Laronk Augur

Really a lot of people who raid almost have just casual playtime. In a raid guild a lot of players only log in for raids except at expansion launch. Raiders group with "regular" players all the time, raiders also have alts and boxes who don't have raid gear.
    Funky likes this.
  10. Dagum Elder

My post was for that sk. He said he never cared about it.

Without raid dps or is boxing zerkers you weren't making the 15 minute time trial if you riposted a spider.
  11. Laronk Augur

Ahh, I haven't even tried for the time trial yet but I do box a zerker so my time might not count. I just did the mission the one time and that's after the spiders didn't summon. Those guys do a lot of damage and it's not very group friendly, I just did it the easy way though and between nameds I med till full which takes longer because of the random zone ae and all that.

But that's also not a case of riposte being bad but of the group mission mechanic being bad
  12. Funky Augur

that's true. I did not do the 15min time trial with just my SK/Bard rogue merc and cleric merc… but ive done it no problem with 5 other people in my group that did not have a single piece of raid gear...

but how does a riposte on a spider prevent me from getting the 15min timer? if anything it'd help you if you are worried about getting overrun by spiders... cause you are doing some passive riposte damage to the adds...

either way your chanters are yelling at you for waking something with riposte.. I see only a few possibilities... either you hit an ae damage, you hit a mob after mez while tab targeting or something to that effect... OR the other dps in your group are waking the mob.. because you can't riposte a mob that is mezzed and wake it... if you have some log file proving me wrong I would love to see it
  13. Laronk Augur

I didn't think about mezzing the spiders, on the eqresource page someone said "use a wurmy so the spiders can't hurt you" So I uhh did the whole mission with my wurmslayer out and tanked all the spiders? Spiders didnt have a lot of hp, after the named died the dps cleaned up the spiders fast.
  14. Dagum Elder

There are rare cases of mezz being broke by riposte. I have done it myself. If they swing and you riposte and I between that swing and riposte was the mezz.

I'd have to dig for it, but I have seen it. This cases are not the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking in general that it's not a good idea to damage some mobs. Having control over what you damaged in this game is a good feature and being able to just turn off riposte in general would be a great feature.

The point is that the chanters don't want the mobs damaged. So that if they mezz and the mess resist they don't get summoned.

As for the time trial doing I did it before the change. Your experience sounds like it was after the change. The spider's used to summon. So if you damaged them you had to deal with them before you moved to the next mob.

Now they don't summon so you can just ignore them and keep the dps bin the named. There's a link above that you can read about it.

The point is you wanted an example. I have you one. I have you some. It would be a useful feature to turn riposte off.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

Be nice not to have to bandolier, or if non-damage main hands trail in stats significantly again use your main item.

Would be useful. /riposte on/off instead of bandolier and keep the stats on your modern weapon.
  16. Funky Augur

well i dont want to sit here and debate something that i 110% disagree with you about because i dont see there ever being a riposte on/off command... but yes i remember the spiders summoning before, but the amount of health they have is minute, as is the damage they are doing to the tank/dps

as for saying if the chanter gets there AE mez resisted, and it summons them... that's where i go back to you should be doing some form of AE aggro, in this case non damage... that is the tanks job.. tank the things..... cause lets say you dont aggro that stuff.. chanter gets resists, gets summoned.. chanter dies.. you don't aggro the adds.. adds run rampant killing whoever else is next on aggro (probably healer) because you are afraid of a chance of riposting.. do you blame the wipe on the chanter for getting a resist or is the tank going to get blamed for not tanking?
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a pathetic case of "cutting off your nose to spite your face", so the devs took a part of something away & your response is to request that they take it ALL away? what an absolutely ridiculous reaction.

There is no need to have a command to toggle riposte on/off, on any event that requires not riposting you would simply equip non-weapons, most tanks have items to do that with, any class besides a tank shouldn't need to do that anyway, would it be a nice QoL feature? maybe, but I would suggest making it a tank only AA.
    Funky likes this.
  18. Xorsazis Augur

I honestly have 0 opinion on the riposte change, but I would like to point out that even with a no damage set, Warriors will still occasionally return kick. Having the ability to turn off all riposting isn't a bad idea and is not game-breaking. It also frees up some bag space and as Bigstomp mentioned, I don't have to take a stat cut to stop hitting stuff.

People advocating against this idea have yet to provide a con worth debating.
    Ibudin likes this.
  19. Natal Augur

It should not affect next expansion balance at all, since most of that additional riposte damage from mobs to players comes said players positioning themselves poorly.

Modern boss global damage output comes from rampages or spell AEs.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Who cares. The point was tanking.

People talking about we received a tanking buff by mobs riposting us less are ignoring the simple fact that the mob damage output is going to be balanced against players and what we actually take.