Since when is it too late

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Captain Video, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Captain Video Augur

I wanted to respond to a dev post in a thread that was locked, so it's here instead...

Since when is it ever too late to nerf something?
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Since you didn't bother to tell which dev-post you are referring too, im going to come with a general answer: :p

It is never too late to nerf something, they generally call it "tuning", and it is done to:
    1. preserve a consistent difficulty curve across classes and levels.
    2. correct old mistakes in programming and/or gamedesign.
    3. make players cry! :p
    I will go as far as saying that, when they stop nerfing something, the game has truly entered maintenance mode and will be mere weeks away from being sunset and closed down forever!
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Hahaha! Right? :D

Hybids can point to the SCRM nerf as the finest example of development choices can change over time. In order to tune the game properly the Devs have to be meanies sometimes. As much as we all might think the Devs receive enjoyment from wielding the nerf bat but I'd assure you they do not. Fortunately, in regard to said SCRM nerf - speaking as one of the most skeptical voices on that change on these boards, the nerf wasn't anywhere as severe as we all assumed.
  4. Rickate Augur

Sept 19, 2006 - The Serpent's Spine launches with revamped starting tunic quest
    Mar 6, 2018 - Newbie starting tunics can no longer be traded and have no value

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/items.244547/page-5
    I will continue to call a bug fix a bug fix and will not change its name when it affects things negatively as opposed to affecting things positively.

It's never a nerf, but there is at least an 11.5 year window where a bug fix which negatively affects an item can be implemented.
    kizant likes this.
  5. kizant Augur

People take changes too personally. Nobody is being mean when they change how things work. They're just trying to improve the game or fix bugs. Sure, they make a lot of mistakes, but that's a different issue.

Except for ruining enchanter DPS all the recent 'nerfs' have made the game better. In fact, we need a whole lot more nerfs but I'm not sure the devs are aware of all the current problems or even half of them.
  6. snailish Augur

Sometimes something isn't a problem until we (players) make it a problem.

Sometimes something was just deep on person #6 to-do list and it finally made it to priority with actual time to do it before something else bumped it back down the list.
  7. segap Augur

Sometimes everyone who plays sees a problem, reports it starting in Beta and after release. We hear nothing but silence, so eventually just have to assume it's intended. Then months and months later, it gets addressed in a patch (still with no communication beyond a one line patch note). Not just addressed, but way over addressed. These are the types of things that rile the user base.
    Warpeace and Sancus like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh, sometimes the devs just change their minds about what they think the game should be about.

Take for example the wizard "forces of x"-AAs, they were originally meant to be mana-free range damage, later they changed them to have a mana-cost. I don't think neither the first version nor the second version was wrong. They just decided that casters needed more "resource-management".
    It objectively made it harder for wizards, but from a different perspective, they made mana more valuable. Which in turn made gear-upgrades more valuable.

They probably want all classes to be equally dependent on gear to perform well. And I can "sort of" see the reason in that...
    They want us to care about stats. Instead of thinking this is "easy enough" with what I already have.

Hint to devs, caster-stats my wizard doesn't care about: Heroic-int! Make it matter! ;)
    snailish and IblisTheMage like this.
  9. kizant Augur

And at the same time you others with the exact same "force of x" ability and their version is free. They're not exactly consistent.
    Renotaki likes this.
  10. Millianna Augur

I don’t get mad when changes things... I get mad when change things they no clue how it works (they don’t play the game) and then get mad when people complain about it.
  11. Sagarmatha Augur

Found the Enchanter.
  12. So Happy Augur

I got mad when they fixed/nerfed the HAs, cancelled my All access accounts and copied everything to test, where I find EQ much more enjoyable. I especially like having access to TBM on alt accounts that were not All access.
  13. Captain Video Augur

I was referring to a post by Ngreth, re: certain Umbra armor pieces in EoK bearing invis buffs, which are flagged as "All except Cleric":

"Ticks me off that I included Paladin by accident :(But once it was reported it was "too late""

I like the idea that he has 11.5 years to implement a "bug fix" for this issue.