Should Shadowknights get a line of essence spells?

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Smak, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Smak Augur

Similar to the necros essence emeralds, allow sk to cast a rez spell maybe 75-90% quality so its not quite as good as necros.

And to make the essence maybe take an entire level or two from the current max level of characters to make it.

Then add in some long recast situation spells like a complete lifetap spell that burns a dozen essence. as in does damage equal to current max hit points but place it on the same timer as harm touch for recasts.

Be creative what sort of essences and essence spells would you want to add to the sk class?
  2. Drathos_BotS Elder

3. Smak Augur

glad you cleared that up, make sure you let the devs know they can scratch this spell line out of any possible expansion.

I mean its useless with mercs now right right right?
  4. fransisco Augur

that would allow SKs to nuke better than wizards for basically no reason than that it would be cool. Also double as a priest for rezzing. Plus allowing an FD class to rez would be bad for skipping raid content.

Essence emeralds are cheaper than pp. Its so easy to PL someone from 51 to 52 then sacrifice them down.
  5. Vouivre Augur

You mean like Necromancers?
  6. Smak Augur

Wizards can nuke for over 175k damage, i dont know if any sk has that many hp.

And necro essence emeralds are cheap yes, but what i proposed would blow out 2 full levels off of the highest current level cap, so a level 100 would be at level 98 with no exp into the level in one sacrifice. A a dozen of those emeralds for one big lifetap, it would be worse than having to level from 75 to 100 again.

But it would provide one big o ajhagasj button that could keep the tank alive.

Paladins already have a 90% rez vs clerics 96 or 100% aa rez.

To bring sks into parity with paladins, an sk should have at least a 75% rez from an essence as a necro does like 93% rez.

And if a rez is out of the question, how about something similar to coh where the sk can call someones corpse in a zone and call the player to the corpse as well at the same time. Right now to summon a corpse requires someone to be in the zone, but when they need a summon and or rez thats not always possible.

And yeah as stated necros have had this ability for a long time.
  7. fransisco Augur

To bring SKs into parity with paladins would mean a drop in dps and loss of fd.
    If SKs can do everything a paladin can do, why play a paladin? Do you support Paladins getting fd and damage shields?

The difference between a necro and a SK is that a necro cannot run through hoards of raid mobs and survive like an SKs can. (Even with thier DA, they have to wait until it wears off to fd, which means they die 90% of the time). Besides doing this, what purpose could it serve? Everyone has a merc to give 96% in groups, and in raids there are always clerics.

As towards the nuke:
    1. Wizard best nuke is like 30k. SK at lvl 100 will probably top 100k Then add in AAs and focus effects. Probably looking at a 500K+ nuke there. Twincast aura?
    2. Who cares about how many emeralds. It is a huge ability being given to SKs with no draw back. The draw back is paid by other characters.

Its already been demonstrated that essence emeralds are a flawed idea, because there are always alts to sacrifice. And who cares if the spell takes a whole lvl. It takes an SK what, 2 minutes to get someone from 60 to 65 when they are swarm pling?
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  8. Rykear Elder

Don't Paladins get a drop Argo AA or spell?
  9. fransisco Augur

sure, it has a 3 min reuse, a chance to fail, and only drops agro for the instant. Anything near them can then proceed to reagro them
  10. Smak Augur

It could be a nuke/lifetap directly = to the max hp of the sk, unable to crit or be modified by other aa or foci.

And it could be set for like a 7 day cooldown, and linked to both ht and lifetap ht. How often would you use it and then give up hts every 30 odd mins for a week?

And i dont think 24 levels lost from a dozen max level characters could be pled back up in 2 mins...

If the exp loss/cost is not enough, add in a 10000 plat vendored component.
  11. shiftie Augur

12. Vouivre Augur

Obviously you've never played an SK very well and never touched a necromancer at all. It's child's play to use DA and not die no matter what. Just a bit of timing and knowing how to play your abilities.
  13. fransisco Augur

So basically SKs would get a LOH - but a super superior one, cause it would always give 100% life back, and do that much damage as well.
  14. Rykear Elder

I must have missed something in the post. Sk LOH is not needed. SKs get Leech Touch already so, IMO is not needed or desired.

As far as a Rez using essence emeralds, it would fall in the with necros but with Mercs would never be used unless in a last case effort. Basically, we seem to be having a lot of discussion over nothing.

Summary, SK LOH not needed. SK Rez based on EEs would rarely be used minus raid side.
  15. Dre. Altoholic

The effect would have to be really OP, like AE divine rez or a Bite spell that does Staunch for the whole raid, maybe both? XD

I'm not opposed to a straight copy of Convergence. Idk what kind of essence tap would be used over Dire taps.
  16. Smak Augur

If the ability was tied to leech disc, leech touch, and harm touch to make them take say a day to refresh, then one single lifeburntap would not be too game breaking.
  17. Mykaylla Augur

The biggest problems that I see with this...

Is you're tying a lot of utility and power to long cooldowns and other people.

Short-term short duration assistance (like bard, shaman, beastlord) is already enough of an issue with balancing, and you end up with tremendous wars over it.
    Classes can be, and have been, nerfed based on parses that are only capable with Intensity of the Resolute, which requires being subscribed for seven years or more and can only be used every four hours.

Do you really want abilities with enough power that you would need to be balanced around it (and it is), that you need to rely on someone being willing to lose twelve levels for you to do it once a day (which was the example of EE burning rate you gave)?

'Cause you're not going to just get it tossed on for free, no matter how long you make that recast.
  18. Smak Augur

You are right, i purposefully listed off some very very tough restrictions. In reality if it was done, it would not need to be so harsh. But even if it was exactly as i said it could be, it would still have a purpose for the main tank/puller for raids. I dont know the current content well as i have returned after 4 years, but i do know that in the past sks have been capabable of tanking 99.99% of mobs, even on harder raids at current or close to current content.

Even with those restrictions several already made it clear it would be too overpowered. I think it would actually make an average sk less useful not being able to ht lifetap ht or leech disc for a week just for one big nuke that is still only around half of a wizards top nuke.

The more important ability sks should have is the ability to rez, even if its a zero exp rez that also requires a current level essence emerald, it would add alot of utility on certain hunts and raids.

As someone stated, its already possible to use items to rez. But its been that way since vox dropped the first rez staff.
  19. Hatsee Augur

You mean like everyone, there is little excuse for everyone in the game to not have some loyalty rez tokens on them.
  20. fransisco Augur

How about making the emerald costs the SK 1 lvl, and the emerald is no drop.

Actually, any xp cost to the SK wouldn't balance anyways. Through swarming they can gain xp faster than any other solo class in the game.
    How about just "no"