Should just Merge all live non-ruleset server's.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kcooler, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Kcooler Lorekeeper

So, ive been back on eq live servers for about 3 weeks now, and ive bounced around server's to see what is populated. from my experience not really any server is populated besides the new TLE's... Afk people in pok/lobby don't count as population imo. most are afk for days. Im talking active population..

Why can't you just merge all the normal rule-set servers? and then leave the TLE's, and special set servers how they are.. From my understanding you have a program that does the process for you anyways, and with the way zones spawn /pick's now the zones will work out fine. Who wants to play a Mmorpg in a ghost town, and be anti-social? lol - that will allow the extra servers to back the other one's to help stability.. The population showing on these servers is false, and this could bring MORE new PEOPLE to live when there is more people to play with..

Just my opinion..
    BrandeX likes this.
  2. Questoften32 Augur

Because of over crowding and camps, and people flooding to others to escape it, eq is not a wow type game, its asks for and takes more from the player, there are mobs with irl day spawn timers.

A quest can be a real quest and not just a task. There are ultra rare things needed, banestrikes, achievements with rewards, much killing to be done.

Much would need to be changed to make that work, it could work limited to a few servers, to insure groups at all levels or the potential if desired..but a blanket action like that would be chaos, cats and dogs sleeping together, and all that.
  3. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Hey, another one of these posts! I guess it's been a few weeks.
    Wizlard and Nolrog like this.
  4. fransisco Augur

1. the game channels alot of people into instances
    2. Its summer
    3. content is all old at this point
  5. Brovaar Elder

I respect your opinion, but I hope, I says, I hope DBG never does such a thing. I have many toons across many servers and I play them all (Vulak as well) and even purchase many items from the market place for them. To merge the servers would eliminate probably over 200 alts some of them with the same name including their illusions, bags, and other items.

Server merges were fine back in the day when the overall population in the game began to drop and there was no such thing as a market place. At this point in time any further merging would take away from those who continue to play. If people want to see a larger group of players milling about I would rather DBG implement cross-server instances like in WOW, but only for common zones like cities or POK. Personally I don't think they have the time or the resources (human capital) especially since they need that time to develop new expansions each year, fix bugs, and cater to the demands of the TLP crowd. Full disclosure: I play on TLP's too.
  6. smash Augur

They would also not do that, because there would then be possible to cross server trade. Which would then remove their income from server transfer character. Also grps with 2+ chars with same name
  7. Imrahil Augur

Well, I know one server where the complete population wouldn't mind being merged with any other server. Maybe then people from AB could actually PLAY the game they PAY for??
    Sorry if I am ninjaing this thread, but it seems like DBG completely ignores us after more than half a year of constant complaining. MAYBE someone actually reads this thread (not that I hold my breath).
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Brovaar Elder

Good point on the cross server trade issue. I am not sure it would take away revenue from transfers though if it was limited to cities and POK. You would still need to transfer to that server if you wanted to explore anything outside the newbie zone. In WOW's instances your server is tagged to your name so even though I would see only the name Brovar when in an instance with another of my toons with the same name they would still be unique.

At the very least we do have cross server chats which for the most part works pretty well. I actually only use cross-server chatting when I am on Vulak though. For all the others I am fine with the way they are.
  9. Brovaar Elder

Hey, I feel for ya man. When I first started playing in 1999 after the final beta I created my first toons on Fennin Ro, started over on Prexus when it opened, and then transferred all my toons from Prexus to AB when that opened because I liked the fact that being a Euro server it was less crowded when I was able to play. I have some really old toons on there I pop in on occasion to play so that is why I say I feel your pain. Regardless, a server merger would kill off many of those old toons with all the history that goes with them. But I hope a solution will come soon for AB. Based upon other posts I've read they are working on it only that it will take some time to fix.
    Imrahil likes this.
  10. Maedhros High King

They gave the entire server the option to transfer to Vox for free. Think of it as an optional server merger, but it sounds like it was basically spurned by most of the people on AB that claim to want a merger /boggle.

Welcome back to EQ.
    As in pretty much any group activity, club, team or MMO, I would probably recommend to get a larger sample size than 3 weeks before you start to become an expert and share your ideas with the community at large.

Like Fransisco said:
    1. the game channels alot of people into instances
    2. Its summer
    3. content is all old at this point

You were obviously not around for EOK launch when zones were crashing because they were overpopulated. They spam you now when they reach max load, and inform you that a pickzone will be spinning up. This expansion is 10 months old, and ALL games see a reduction in player base over the summer.
    TLP looks busy and thriving because a new expansion just opened on at least 2 of those servers. TLPs are going to take a big hit when the new expansion opens for real live EQ in a few months.
    We will of course see a new expansion unlocked on the TLPs in late winter just as people are beating the real live EQ expansion.
    Its cyclical bud, enjoy the relatively open zones and lack of competition while you can!

That being said, there is a case that can be made for merging a few of the lower population servers with one another, or a single small pop server with a single large pop one, but merging all servers is a pretty moronic idea.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yes merge them! As long as it includes AB!
  12. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Where's that unlike button...
    Nolrog likes this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You said you had only been back 3 weeks. Servers were crashing right and left about 8 months ago, anytime close to 400 players showed in chat. Not that chat was causing the crash but just as an example of the fact that EQ servers cannot handle a large amount of players on one server. And this was not on the release of EOK. I admit that also shows people who are afk but it does NOT show free accounts which are not allowed in general chat or as sellers in baz or people who choose not to be in chat. As soon as chat population dropped to 380 or less then the server crashes stopped.

Since you were "bouncing" around and couldn't have really spent much time on one server maybe you missed prime time or higher levels when groups are more plentiful on a particular server.

This sounds like this one guy who logs in - asks for groups for what HE is doing - doesn't get one in less than a minute so he logs off. I get plenty of groups on all levels, sure it may not be what I want at that moment but karma will pay me back later.

This is my opinion, give it a chance, help others and have fun!
  14. asfasfasfasf Augur

Maybe a merge or two would be ok but I like having slightly quieter servers because I like to solo a lot and don't like it when people are taking mobs in the zone etc. Nothing more annoying than seeing a cool sounding named on track and by the time I fight my way to him, someone beat me and ganked it. As long as there are enough people to group with when you want one, and you occasionally see people when hunting, that is good enough for me.

This game is awesome! Love what they have done to it since I quit a long time ago. It deserves more credit from gamers imo. I heard nothing but complaints about it from the EQ crowd to preach about old EQ being so pure and wonderful and modern EQ being all dumbed down and ridiculous. But this is not true. More people should play. I hope DBG keep building on what they have because this game could live for years and even grow.
    Aurastrider and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  15. smash Augur

Thing about major merge, can it be good? Recall Agnarr server at start, the queue to get in and such stuff.
  16. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

You might be onto something here, EQ servers need to be more exclusive. They could out the server select screen, velvet ropes, bumping beats maybe some party lights. Other players are gonna be all like, "Man what's up in there? We gotta check this game out." Guest bard DJs, VIP zones, ladies' nights (and/or lady toon nights), 1 Krono cover charge, drop some flyers advertising 2 for 1 exp specials, they can pack the house every night!
    asfasfasfasf likes this.
  17. Imrahil Augur

If you don't understand the difference between a merge (everyone moves including their homes, including people on hiatus, including the casuals, including the silver players) and an individual move (some move, some don't), then that is your issue.
  18. Yimin Augur

Some server need a merger and others don't , some server are ghosts towns .......
    Brekt and Zek are very dead .while others FV are still very popular ...

Yimin
  19. Numiko Augur

It's pretty obvious the cost of keeping a server open is near zero for Daybreak now. If it was costing them big bucks Vulak, Vox etc would have been closed/merged years ago.

If there is no financial reason for them to merge or close servers, they wont.
  20. Brovaar Elder

Some people like the busy life a city brings whereas others like the quietness of living in the country. Brekt are the folks who like that quiet country life. Brekt is a relatively new server created earlier this year when Quarm was shut down. If they really missed the life of a big city they would have gone back to their more populated original servers a long time ago with out requiring a merger.

Though a small population one thing Brekt proves is that even on live servers there are people who prefer a fresh start low population or not. Let people enjoy the game how they like to play it as long as they stay within the rules.