Should DBC simplify burns?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Fian Augur

Currently with my bst I have at least 3 standard burn macros, some more AA to click, and a separate group burn macro. To be an effective player takes a huge amount of knowledge about the game, programming skills, and a lot more. DBC could make it easier, by giving each class one burn. You can still have AA to buy that enhance the burn, but there is still one hotkey to click to activate the burn. This change would reduce the difference between elite and casual players.

Would people view this as a plus or a negative?
  2. Duder Augur

I would not like this because it would give less control and less style individuality.
  3. Cicelee Augur

Isn't knowledge and skills what separates good players from not as good players?

Simplifying burns to one "I win" button standardizes everyone and makes us all equal. While I am sure players like Bobby Bob and Sally Sue will be excited about that, players like Sancus and Kizant would probably be not as excited...
    Vexana_Lanys, Tour, Funky and 3 others like this.
  4. strongbus Augur

a big neg. as stated its a 1 hit win button. We don't need that. part of the fun playing is deciding which aa/burn macro to use when on a raid(the fast refresh aa on minis that will be back up for final boss). While there are something that should be easy to do. Like any game skill should be expected. If you want the most of your class, it should be expected that you will play the class that way.
    Nennius likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

No. My gantt chart skills are too finely tuned to turn back now. I can freestyle techno tracks. I can coordinate massive developer schedules that don't crumble the next week. I can time my burns for maximum sustained damage over any interval. We've come this far that we can only look forward.

The SPAs just got ten stacks higher.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I have no objections to the suggestion if it were a separate ability. You can hit that one ability that activates the AAs designed together or you can hit each one individually.
  8. AcemoneyFV Augur

I agree. Let's get rid of button mashing / combos and have auto attack fire off everything at once. :oops:
  9. Derka Power Ranger

So you save 2 seconds by hitting 1 button versus the 3 already macroed out? What about lining stuff up with your group or just completely wasting stuff that is highest % works only? There's a reason you have a hierarchy to your burns.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

Just make it one button. Hold it down. It'll auto target the best target. Move you into position and press your best buttons.

Then we can get back to watching the TV.

Activate it via: /autoskill raid
    Jennre, Tour, Svann2 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Riou EQResource

In EQ I guess, but if you looked at something like WoW even though it is simplified there is still a like 10% gap between the best and decent players, with a decently higher gap between the best and "bad" players, but having the bad players be much closer lets them fine tune content a lot better

In EQ that gap is probably like 3x wider between the best and bad players, and it's why something like TBL becomes "too hard" for casuals and mid tier guilds are dieing in the raid scene
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I could see some simplification, which I think they are working towards with some of the AA consolidations. Things like Rogue's Absorbing Agent and Twisted Shank being combined into a single button. These are good changes, in my opinion.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

If they dumb it down that much I really don't see why I'd play. I'm ok with raising up the people that have trouble. If you're consistently bad give a buff to let you be not bad.
    But don't dumb the game down. It's already easy.
    Duder likes this.
  14. feeltheburn Augur

why is there always some i need to get better player that looks to dumb this game down?? seriously, do the work, create your own style and burn as you should know and not what a game would implement for you. making you have to know LESS about your class and how to do it right. jeez
  15. Warpeace Augur

They could do a lot to reduce the button mashing. But then keyboard and mouse sales would suffer.
    Yinla likes this.
  16. Diptera Augur

Please don't dumb the game down - even things like the Spires patch this week give me mixed feelings - just, it's nice to have several effects at once, but it takes away from the strategy decisions you have to make to choose between what you want to activate, and what limitations that may put on you.

Just say no to "E-Zee Burn" mode =/
  17. Maedhros High King

No way. We already saw this on a small scale a few years ago with berserkers when the disc duration on Disconcerting was the same as the refresh time. Full time burns made even bad berserkers look like they were dps studs.
    I know you're not advocating for full time burns, but the journey towards become a top tier dpser of a given class needs to be as it is now, where the more knowledgeable players have an edge over novice or lazy players.
  18. Laronk Augur

I don't think burns need to be simplified.

It would be nice if you didn't have to go to 3rd party websites to find out all the information you need though, it would be nice to have an in-game parser.
    Jennre and Metanis like this.
  19. Cuuthbert Augur

I like more complex classes and I love the evolving nature of the game. It truly separates those who really dig in and learn their class and those that just go with the same strats they were using in 2000. I love digging into my bard and testing new AA, songs, strats and I end up with a ton of HOLD MUH BEER moments that do not end well but I keep adjusting until I figure it out. I spend time at the Guild hall Dummy parsing and testing not only what each button does but which order of those buttons brings the most DPS, ADPS, what stacks, what does not stack. Getting to the dummy with other classes and testing that out so we can be more efficient in groups and raids. One of the biggest reasons I play this game is because of all the details you the player can put into it. I don't want a computer version of a Console game where every just hits C B C A UP DOWN LEFT C A UP to get MAX KILL FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!
  20. enclee Augur

No, even the simplification in WoW is causing them to lose a healthy chunk of players. EQ combat is extremely boring Taking away the only enjoyable aspect of EQ combat of determining the right mix and sequence of abilities, makes the game boring and shallow.