Shawl Aug 3.0 For Healers

Discussion in 'Priests' started by guado, Apr 8, 2014.

1. guado Augur

Brell's Restoration:

Has a chance to cast a mana recovery spell for the user and a group healing spell every time a spell is cast.

It says in the buff window: Restores 150 mana per tick ....... for 7 seconds (it says 7 seconds, but instantly goes down to 6s)

So, even if that's 2 ticks of mana restoration... that's 300 mana.

Brell's Blessed Soothing Wave

SlotDescription
    1:Increase Hitpoints by 200

How utterly insulting. A 200 HP group heal.

Did I really just spend all those hours, maxing tradeskills, doing shawl 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 for those two terrible effects?

I understand now (after the fact) that the shawl was nerfed. But... 300 mana per proc and a 200 hp group heal. What a slap in the face! OUCH!
  2. Crystilla Augur

You generally don't get the shawl for the group heal so that's mostly inconsequential.

While there was a reduction in the mana restore, it was very much needed unfortunately because of the way the proc worked with shaman/cleric unity spell lines (anyone who has multiple beneficial spells cast by a single spell).

However, it's pretty much agreement that we wish it hasn't gone as far of a reduction (in terms of the turn it too to a 'tick' approach). But that was designed so you can't get multiple procs from a single cast anymore.

That said, the shawl still boosts your mana quite a bit (and higher than the older version 2.0 does if you're max level), so it is beneficial to have/wear.
  3. guado Augur

300 mana for 1 proc in my mind, is not "quite a boost" to my mana... as a raider, or even if I switched to all Group Gear (cotf tier1)

It's bad enough only having a mod rod upon death to restore any burst of mana, so I was hoping this "shaug" would be my saving grace.

I KNOW this whole "describing what an effect does" via holding right click is a relatively new concept (since it was blank for the first 13 years of EverQuest) but come on, how can I really know if this junk is worth it, if I can't even have an accurate description?

Take out the group heal part and add some Heal Amount.
    This will never happen, unless the majority of the game has the aug.

How long does it actually take to change an item? Can it really be that difficult?

Adding heal amount and removing the group heal would have NO consequences for the long term. Just appalled and one more reason to switch to a more commonly played class.

ADDED: I just saw a proc with a duration of 8s rather than 7s. Maybe this shaug is bugged?
  4. Crystilla Augur

It's not bugged, but there will be discrepancies due to when the proc goes off versus the server tick (same type of thing as to why Promised Renewal line can get 18-24 seconds before it fires). That phantom tick.

I can say the Devs have said no single item should be considered a 'saving grace', but if you use this in conjuction with all the other mana return/mana saving items, it is truly noticeable.

THIS thread lists all the items available that I'm referring to.
    guado likes this.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I don't like ANY group heal ability not under our direct control. Because there are times you don't want to heal the entire group (someone pulling, etc.).
    Fenthen, Moklianne and guado like this.
  6. Iila Augur

I think this has caused a problem once since I got a shawl during VoA. And I'm not even sure if it was the shawl proc. In the same time period, I'm 100% sure that raids have been ruined by Spirit of Wood and Egress, and I certainly still use those. The range, timing and nature of EQ just don't converge in a way that causes problems.

The shawl nerf did hurt druid mana sustained a lot, since it now caps out at 1500 mana/min. The aug version is still one of the best augs in game, though. Every druid SHOULD get one, because you're not going to get near that level of return from any other aug except the Specialize augs. With Specialize and mana return procs, you can get a pretty good average discount on each heal cast, greatly increasing your time till oom in exp groups or post-death with a mod rod or QM provided mana pool.

But I am still pissed that we ate a nerf because two infinite mana classes had a way to get more infinite mana.
  7. Tarrin Augur

Amazing aug.

Zero reasons to not use it.
  8. Iila Augur

If your augs are anywhere CLOSE to the ones in your magelo, the shawl is a huge improvement.

And FFS, put your best AC aug in your shield, move that specialize aug somewhere else! Shield AC is the only overcap AC slot, meaning AC in that slot (counting augs) is 5x as effective as any other slot.
    Enkel likes this.
  9. Marshall Maathers Augur

I'm glad the aug's heal didn't trigger Light statue in Fumerak, like the weapon proc group heals do.
  10. guado Augur

The cumulative properties of the aug seem to interact better with my current gear set. Bad luck with the RNG? I eat my words.
  11. Fenthen aka Rath

I'd actually prefer if the group heal portion were removed. If I die on a raid and am ressed, I'll rebuff and my shawl will proc a group heal, putting me into combat when I'm not ready for it. =)P
  12. Ravengloome Augur

Its to darn bad you dont put your Shawl in your range item so you can bandolier it out in that circumstance............ yeh maybe do that instead of asking for it to be removed ? lol
  13. Mykaylla Augur

Doesn't really matter- everything active that clerics do triggers the light pillar on Fumerak the Quintessence.

For those concerned about this, there are a couple of solutions.

The first solution is have your puller buffblock it. I remember in Convorteum, as more and more people got the shawl (and priests were prioritized in my guild at the time because prenerf, it was just that gamechanging), the trash pull between events 2 and 3 could get messy with unwitting procs on bards, so said bards just blocked the very small heal portion.

The second solution is one entirely in the priest's own control:
    Consider the caster shawl aug.

[38559] Brell's Knowledge
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 06:00:00 (3600 ticks), Extendable: No, Dispelable: Yes
    1: Cast on Spell Use: Brell's Blessed Chromatic Strike
    2: Limit Min Mana Cost: 300
    3: Limit Min Level: 70
    4: Limit Max Level: 253 (lose 100% per level)
    Has a chance to cast Blessed Chromatic Strike every time a spell is cast. Chromatic strike will return some mana, and increase the damage of the next damage spell cast within 6 to 12 seconds. If a damage spell is not cast in that time, additional mana will be returned

[20555] Brell's Blessed Chromatic Strike
    Duration: 6s (1 ticks), Extendable: No, Dispelable: Yes
    Max Hits: 1 Matching Spells
    1: Increase Spell Damage Bonus by 500
    2: Limit Min Mana Cost: 10
    3: Limit Min Level: 70
    4: Limit Type: Detrimental
    5: Limit Effect: Current HP
    6: Limit Max Level: 253 (lose 100% per level)
    7: Limit Max Duration: 0s
    8: Cast: Brell's Blessed Invigorating Relief
    9: Cast on Duration Fade: Brell's Blessed Invigorating Redress
    Text: You are invigorated by Brell's Chromatic Strike.

[20556] Brell's Blessed Invigorating Redress
    1: Increase Current Mana by 200
    Text: You are invigorated by Brell's Invigorating Redress.

[38629] Brell's Blessed Invigorating Relief
    Duration: 6s (1 ticks), Extendable: No, Dispelable: Yes
    4: Increase Current Mana v2 by 100 per tick
    Text: You are invigorated by Brell's invigorating Relief.

I know, I know, it doesn't have heroic wisdom on it. Honestly, big deal? It's an average of 21.5 points of mana per point of heroic wisdom, provided your base wisdom is maxed, at level 100. That's 172 mana (raid version- group version is 150.5). Mana regen from heroic wisdom? It's less than a third of a single point of FT- even if you're sitting at a level of heroic wisdom where the priest aug will push you over another multiple of 25, that's still only 172 mana and 10 mana per minute, or 600 mana regenned per *hour*. In exchange for that best case scenario, you get a mana proc that does not put you into combat, because it only hits you. If you are nuking consistently, yes, you will not get quite as much mana back over time, but if you have to heal and/or debuff (other than debuffs with a DD portion- pure DoT spell are fine, as spell line 7 limits it to DD only), you will get more mana back, due to the duration fade firing an additional 200 mana.

I was a huge proponent of all priests and paladins using the original priest shawl, but the landscape has changed- the proc has changed, class abilities and efficiencies have changed, and there are new events. I no longer use the priest shawl personally, but I can understand why some people still do.
    Perplexed and Tarrin like this.
  14. Iila Augur

If switching shawls was a box combine or click, I'd be using the caster aug a lot.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

Terraa had picked up the tank shawl, and I questioned a little bit as to why (back then). Now I want a refund on my healer aug!
    Mykaylla likes this.
  16. Fenthen aka Rath

17. Iila Augur

Huh??
    Do you just hand it to him?
  18. Kunon Augur

Go back to the quest NPC in PoK and get the quest again. Once you have the quest turn in your old aug and it is like you just finished redoing the entire thing. You get to pick whichever reward you want.
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. guado Augur

I switched to the INT caster aug, and its *much much* better.