Shawl 3 mechanics? (melee dps)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Wawa, May 12, 2013.

1. Izcurly Augur

Yes, really.
    1) Tradeskills require ONE person to max, and has never required end-game abilities to skill up. Many end-game players are too lazy to do tradeskills, even with the fast skillup routes that exist today, but that's their problem.
    2) Shawl 1.0, been around for over 10 years. Hardly end-game. Can be done in a few hours if the spawns cooperate.
    3) Shawl 2.0, Underfoot content. Hardly end-game. The raid drop is NOT required to do the 3.0.
    4) Shawl 3.0, with the sole exception of the raid drop, is MUCH faster and easier than the Shawl 2.0 is today, which is way easy for current content. And, just like the 2.0, the raid version isn't that much better than the group version.
  2. Wawa Journeyman

I have two concerns here.

1. I think that the effect on the melee DPS version of shawl 3 is simply too weak. The stats are obviously very nice, by far the best aug there is. But the effect doesn't really justify the time and plat sink maxing all tradeskills constitute. I am clearly biased here as I just recently did a huge push and maxed them all :p

The first concern leads to the second:

2. I think this further unbalances melee vs caster dps, especially on sustained. I have no idea what the caster shawl adds in DPS terms, but I very highly doubt that it is less than the 150ish at best DPS the melee shawl adds.

I do NOT think that the caster shawls should be nerfed in any way. I do however wish melee DPS to have a less underwhelming option.
  3. Endiment Scale Tailed

The effects were already pretty marginal at level 85. At level 100, the same effects (or slightly nerfed as the mana returns on the priest/caster ones turned out after the change) are just kind of "bleh".

Thumbs up on changing it to an aug at least. I'll keep using the 3.0 for much longer than just 1 expansion.
  4. CaptAmazing Augur

Is there an agreed upon consensus about which ones are best/ideal for which classes? For example, war/pal/sk would be best served with the rune aug.
  5. roth Augur

Does it matter what "the concensus" says is the best Shawl 3.0 for a given class? Get the one YOU think is best for your class, after conversations with others in your class who have them.
  6. CaptAmazing Augur

Some hybrid classes are having lots of input with no clear cut "best choice". Was hoping this might fuel an insightful conversation.
  7. Izcurly Augur

Does there need to be a clear-cut best choice for every class? I think not, even if it does drive the minmaxers crazy.
  8. roth Augur

Its good for them to be driven crazy every once in a while. Helps keep things in perspective.
  9. --Voodoo-- Augur

If I'm reading correctly, the caster one has an 80% chance to add 600 dmg to a DD. So you'd need a DD spell roughly every 3 seconds to be better DPS. 200 mana/tick at that cast rate.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the caster effect doesn't seem particularly overwhelming either.
  10. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

The caster shawl will LOWER DPS by a decent margin at least for a wizard. So any positive gain is in fact better than the negative number I would see if I used the one designed for my class.

All the procs really should be upgraded to at least make them appear to be an improvement. Right now they are just fancy stat augments for most classes.
  11. Wawa Journeyman

Why is that? Guessing it blocks something else? Curious :)

Anyway, if that is indeed the case then yeah caster shawl need to get upped as well ofc.
  12. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

Sympathetic procs work in such a way that as you add more each one has a lower percent chance of firing. So if I used the caster shawl I would be trading a much much higher DD proc for a flat 600 damage some of the time-- In my case that "some of the time" works out to about 20%. This actually ends up being over a 1k deficit when burning. Over time the negative impact diminishes slightly, but there was no logical model in which it becomes an asset that I could find.