Shatter the Veil

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Canarit, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Canarit New Member

I have a question about the achievement Shatter the Veil. I understand the bonus 5 alaran lang for doing the pretask but how do we get this achievement now that the expansion is live? I was unable to play EQ for over a year due to my job and I don't think it's right to put an achievement into the game that is not ...for lack of a better word...achievable by everyone.
  2. Rainbowdash Augur

Yeah...that achievement really should be hidden unless obtained. Since it can no longer be gotten and it's literally the worst enemy of an OCD player trying to get all achievements....
  3. Ezlano Journeyman

What is the big deal....like EQ doesn't cater enough to the masses already, sheesh. I guess all raid achievements and those that require a good group to get should be removed too by your logic because those are not obtainable by all.
  4. Falos Augur

99 percent of the achievements in the game are solely based on time commitment anyway (IE not impressive), I Can think of like maybe 10 achievements total that actually are skill based *including raid achievements* ... Funny enough almost every 'hard' achievement that exists is in underfoot, Alaris has a couple challenging ones but outside of alaris and UF there are no skill based achievements pretty much.. making them ultimately meaningless in terms of being a badge of honor.
  5. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

That achievement isn't stupid. It actually turned out quite important. I guess next time people will actually try to do it instead of whining like little girls who got their barbies taken away. The amount of crying over language and this particular quest is getting pretty old. I missed out on the Sleeper kill. They should bring it back now! Give me a break.
    FatbukSlapmeat likes this.
  6. Rainbowdash Augur

Ummm ok, calm down. I'm glad you both are all proud of your accomplishments and ready to defend them with your lives against the unwashed casual masses on the internet but let's take a step back, take a deep breath, and actually read what I said.

First, there's a difference between "not easily obtained" and "no longer obtainable at all because it related to a pre-release event that was removed". Let me reiterate. The mobs used for this event and task arc do not spawn and never will spawn again. Anyone who doesn't already have it can put in all the time in the world, to the point that they spend 24/7 in Steamfont, never eating, never sleeping, and crapping in a sock, and they STILL wouldn't ever get this because it's simply not in game. It has nothing to do with effort, nothing to do with skill, nothing to do with casual or non casual. It's. Not. There. Period.

Second. I'd like you to point out where in that post I said removed. Hint: I didn't. I said hidden. As in "It's still in-game but unless you have it already, or obtain it (which no one else can do any longer) you will not see it". All achievements related to temporary events, that will never come back, should be hidden. At the very least they should start out un-hidden and then hide them once the event is gone. VoA event is gone. So it should be hidden. Simple really, no idea what that misunderstanding was about.

Third, you're saying we're 'whining like little girls who got their barbies taken away'? Really? Whining? I type out one sentence with a totally calm suggestion in passing while skimming through threads during an xp grind that I forgot I even posted until I logged in today, to which you both get so buttravaged that I can literally envision you yelling "FILTHY CASUALS" at the top of your lungs, punching your wall, then sitting down to type out your response with a vengful fury that causes your keyboard to bounce up off your desk with each keystroke and you said I'm whining. hahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously, guys. It was once sentence. It shouldn't take this much explanation. I'm glad you're both capable of killing pixels but you should probably work on your reading comprehension next, or at least anger management, as both are slightly more important.
    JolineSZ and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  7. Khoza Augur

Wonderful mental image here. I love it.
  8. Jabobtha New Member

The achievement really is stupid. It wasn't given to anyone that got the 5 alaran language bonus book it was only given to the people that finished the 2nd mission that the book was a chest drop instead of a task reward for all that participated. Therefore the people that already had the book from the first mission and didn't finish the 2nd mission were not given the achievement but it didn't matter because they had the important thing.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  9. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Too bad for him I'm about as casual in this game as it gets.
  10. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Okay.../shrug.
  11. Qbert Gallifreyan

/chuckle. Someone in full raid gear is about as casual as it gets . . . great!
  12. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It shouldn't be there. Having that achievement there is akin to having all of the heroes forge armor achievements on everyones list; and the there actually are ways to wear the other HF ornaments. It is bad enough those who did the first mission did not get the achievement but worse that it even shows for those that cannot ever get it.
  13. Rainbowdash Augur

The HoT pre-release achievement is the same way too. And i'm guessing RoF's pre-release will have an achievement and should also be treated the same. Unhidden until the event is removed, hidden for all who have not obtained it after it's gone.

I really don't understand why there are people so rectum devastated by this suggestion. What's the point of it being permanently visible to all who didn't get it long after the ability to get it is gone? so every time you open up your achievement window you can say to yourself "Huh...Should have gone to that thing..."?
  14. Canarit New Member

My point was that there should be no achievements in the game that are impossible to get. A reward for doing something for prelaunch is fine to me but achievements are just that...achievements...not rewards.
  15. Falos Augur

World of Warcraft and various other games have tons of "achievements" that are like this though, they are called "feats of strength' same general concept though... I'd say we're lucky EQ only has one achievement that can't be obtained anymore.
  16. Rainbowdash Augur

Nah I agree it should exist. But be hidden. It's an achievement if you did it. You completed the pre-launch. However once that event is removed it should be hidden unless you already have it. There's no reason to have a permanently unobtainable achievement, that corresponds to an event that will never be put back in-game, glaring at your face. However, if you HAVE obtained it, nothing wrong with seeing it as a monument to yet another thing you put your character through.

Akin to HF achievements. There if you have them, not there if you don't.
  17. Orablast Elder

And I am sick of people like you who get their panties in a wad every time someone wants to experience older content which they may have missed at the time.

Who really cares if they want to experience the quest and claim the achievement, is it really hurting you? Do you ever get tired to punching pillows, worried about the next person experiencing something that only you are entitled to?
  18. JolineSZ Augur

I totaly understand you and agree.
  19. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I am actually not worried about it at all. I just like pointing out the whining that takes place on the forums. I find it fascinating that people who cry so much still play the game. Absolutely fascinating. :p
  20. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Look at that raid gear and take a guess what two raids it is from. Beside for two or three pieces from Beast which is not particularly difficult either. All done on raids 3 times a week and not much else. Fits into my definition of casual play (0-9 hours a week depending on how I feel).
  21. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I agree with you there though probably not for quite the same reasons.