Shamans in demand?

Discussion in 'Priests' started by amethyst48, Mar 3, 2019.

1. amethyst48 New Member

I played for about 15 years as did my oldest son. We both left , me about 8 yrs ago, him about 7 yrs ago. We both just returned. He was one of the best wizards in the world, always in the top 3. I played a shm, it was my main and even though I played some others, it was my fav. I had all my ts maxxed, a lot of AAs, damn good raid gear- I was in several tier1 guilds.

I left mainly because shms were no longer wanted. The raids brought along 1-2 alts for buffs but that was it. I had concentrated on my healing and buffing. I was a pretty damned good healer on raids and never ran dry of mana. It was just that no one ever wanted to grp with a shm, and even in raids we were no longer really wanted. Most of the top shm players either switched toons or left like me.

I am curious if they are in demand again. If so I may see if I can remember my security answer and convert my guy to heroic and play him again. After all I had my epic 2.0, and tons of TS not to mention I was making loads of money making potions, and stat food/drink. If they are not high in demand again, I will just build a new toon from the ground up. Likely a pally, necro or cleric.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I cannot remember any time in EQ where shamans weren't in demand. They're amazing. Your raids were functioning without shaman debuffs, epic 2.0 clicks, etc? Were these... like, raids winning current content? If so that's quite unusual. If you left about 8 years ago, that was during... Veil of Alaris? Anyhow yes they are certainly in demand and you should play one if it's your favorite class.
  3. Maedhros High King

IMHO shammys are one of the most powerful classes in game.
    A well played shammy will almost always be in demand.
  4. Conq Augur

Very high in demand. Lunacy Unbound on Tunare is recruiting 2 quality shaman. No sit out for shaman.
    Conq
  5. Shanarias Augur

I just started a Shaman last night on an alt on Tunare. Kind of busy on the bottom end there, and CR had quite a bit of competition. I REALLY like a Shaman so far. Just moloing around right now, and having fun. Big old kitty cat Shaman seems to be a good choice, but I need to get some gear. I got nothing on Tunare. :)
  6. Moldar Augur

Shamans are always high in demand and currently Iratus Lepus is recruiting Shamans.

If you're on the Xegony server, send Moldar, Quility, Astrina, or Binker a tell and we can help get you up to par relatively quickly.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If you are on a bit later in the evenings (post-10pm CST), give me a shout (Tatanka) on Tunare. I can help you out a bit. I don't have much super low level gear, but I can make you some nice player made jewelry which will last you for quite a few levels, and toss in some plat.
  8. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Shamans are always in demand. ADPS, CC, utility, healing, we can do it all.

Same offer to help on Tunare.

Let me (Liin) know what you need and we'll make it happen. We can craft things, buy things or if you know what you're looking for (at least non-raid wise) we'll go camp it.
  9. Dobbs New Member

Always in demand...yes, for the most part. Playing a shaman is relative to personal preference & play style.
    Pretty sure when you left we were still rotating 2-3 spell bars a raid and yes, most retired to other classes, games, since most guilds would druid/chanter debuff with a boxed toon for shaman buffs. Fortunately, those days are behind and we're able to pull off more with somewhat less. Granted there's always a facet to learn and be incorporated, per event/expansion. There's definitely work to always be done. The raid scene is always looking for another mini cleric with an epic/adps that can follow mechanics and suffer through a dps grp that cares little for aggro management or cute little mechanics like a DS on the named. How far you want that rabbit hole to go is entirely up to you. Took us a minute to solidly replace merc's/box alts in the grp game of whatever the current content is/was. We are a very powerful class that can be macro'quested to some extent and that seems to have everyone with a shaman alt. If you've ever main'd a shaman, you know that it may get you some facets of what we can do, but really they haven't even scratched the surface. I've taken hiatus from raiding to just explore my toon a bit and see what I'm really capable of as a solo/molo toon and really enjoy myself every time I log in.
  10. p2aa Augur

Shamans have always been the best priest suited for melee DPS group, even 8 years ago.
    I don't want to sound rude, but guilds that were bringing only shaman alt for buff are really clueless, are you sure it was a raiding guild ? I was in a low-mid tier raiding guild back then and we were using shaman mains in melee DPS groups, not clerics or druid to heal them.
  11. Filter Augur

I don't play a shammy but I group with them all the time. They make everything better and a well played one is priceless. If you're on Rathe, look me up and I'll be happy to help you in anyway you need.

My toons are: Bezerkz, Filterx, Dontsuk and ton others but those are the ones I'm on the most.
  12. Dobbs New Member

Yep....it was indeed a thing. Granted 2.0's weren't a thing back then either. I'd wager that we didn't see roles as proficient healers till SoD or Underfoot. Where that is in years ago...no clue. But to the OP...log em in and canni dance my friend the water is just fine.
  13. p2aa Augur

Good shamans were able to keep their group alive in SoD or Underfoot expansions. Once again, I repeat it : I have not seen in this era any raid guild sitting out shaman main or make them retire or main change, and only bringing a shaman alt for buff.
    Shaman ADPS impact on melee has always been a thing.
    What is the name of the so called OP top raiding guild that was treating shamans like this ?
    Syylke_EMarr likes this.
  14. LittleBrumski Augur

Guess they can DoT pretty good now too.
    Tatanka likes this.
  15. Dobbs New Member

Hence the "till"
  16. BadPallyGuildLeader Augur

I choose my shaman over a cleric 95% of the time for my box group. If you know how to setup alliance and how to work your HoT's and mesh that with a merc with the right spells blocked...it' s a great healing setup for just about anything in the group game.
  17. p2aa Augur

Past Underfoot they have had np to keep their group alive in raid, like pre underfoot.
  18. aamethystt48 New Member

Well so far I am rocking it. This shm was the very first toon I ever made in EQ.Matter of fact I built this toon the day the planes hit the towers , 9/11/2001. Anyway, I finally worked him up to 100, all my top line raid gear is now stored away. I am trying to find somewhere to solo and trying to find a top notch shm that can make certain my hot bars and spell sets are best. I was a top line raid healer and right now I can normally keep my grp up and when I solo I do well. Just finding good spots to go. I am again working on finishing my trade skills, maxxed out the two new languages. Glad shms are in demand again, like I said, when I left, they weren't.
    Skewert likes this.
  19. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

Post some screen shots and let us take a look.

There have been some previous shaman spell set threads already going so that might be a great place to start.
  20. Sototh New Member

I am playing a Shaman on Mangler.
    He is currently lvl 29 and O have a super hatd time finding groups...
    Will this change the higher I get?