Shaman DPS/Damage

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Cauled, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Cauled New Member

What do use to get the most DPS and what spell gives you the highest crit?
    I was in a group the other day where I was able to do 180-195K crits one after another, sadly I have not been able to reproduce this amount of damage so I wonder what other shaman are using or if/what classes in a group can help us to maximize damage?
  2. Brohg Augur

A high crit like that typically means you're grouped with an enchanter, their Chromatic Haze 10 minute cooldown AA grants you one super crit on a nuke.
  3. Siddar Augur

Enchanter IoG, Bard Fierce Eye and Epic, Ranger Auspice of the Hunter. These will improve your Crit % on spells. IoG and Bard stuff will also improve your Crit Damage. Bard though will improve Crit Damage by much less then IoG. Fierce Eye and IoG don't stack with each other, Also vet reward Intensity of the Resolute gives a huge 50% bonus to Crit % but doesn't stack with Fierce Eye and IoG.
  4. Tucoh Augur

5. Cauled New Member

To high, the shaman dots are out of balance and the mana cost makes other spells such as Roar obsolete. Roar is a great spell but why would I use 13K mana for it when I can cast one dot that does double the damage? EQ has changed the Shamans roll in group from support to high DPS. I did not create my Shaman to become a wizard. Shaman dots needed a power upgrade but this was way over kill and so was the mana cost. I went from endless to no mana.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. Vanlaven Elder

Just curious, are u rotating both aa and spell canni as often as possible and using your aa to cast from hps to fill gaps? Honestly curious how mana throttled sham are atm since as far as i know they are the only class that lost efficiency on their upgraded dots and im guessing that is due to them being among the best mana generators if not the very best in game
  7. Brohg Augur

You would use 13k mana for Roar because it includes a chunky HoT for 2 minutes and continues dealing the remainder of its damage (which you're maybe underestimating) even if you and your fighting force change targets.

This contrasted with Chaotic Venom that costs 40k mana and Hemocoraxius' Pandemic at 20k that may kill you due to agro, do nothing to preserve your group, and lose efficiency in large chunks for every tick a mob is already dead before two-minutes-and-change are up (13 ticks for base poison dots with just group focus, another full minute to include the Vengeance stinger from Nectar of Woe and let the diseases finish). These huge mana hogs are only usable on very rare group named with huge hp (looking at you, Bridge Guardian, Warlord Kal`nuuz), or when soloing.

Swift dots are more a thing now in groups, sure. But those are only 3.5k & 2k mana, which is right on pace to make Canni usable on cooldown instead of just "a sometimes food". Nothing but love for the increased dps on these.

And in between, the magic-type dots? That depends on the pace of your group, I suppose. if you're taking a full minute to kill mobs, then Garugaru gets its full run. If you're taking 1.4 minutes, Sraskus' does. Sraskus' actually more damaging than Garugaru, so you probably tap that first, but whatever. The point is, even these "middle" dots are horrid efficiency if your group fights aren't reallly slow.

Should talk to some necros about how fabulous their damage is -- on raids. Similar situation afflicts them with regards to group contribution. Difference is until nec rebuild is done, shm ramp up faster, so we get to see what it would be like to drop a full raid stack on each mob -- only to watch the mob die out from under it 4 ticks in. Dot classes have the unique consideration among dps of having to know or gauge how many total hp a mob has before even engaging abilities, to be effective.
    IblisTheMage and Cauled like this.
  8. Zizzle New Member

I'm interested to figure out how this all adds up. I would comment though, the HoT part of Roar is only for 3 ticks and knocks off the hp regen buff (ie: Talisman of the Faithful) so that part is of dubious value.
  9. Lubianx Augur

Even though Zizz always forgets to give me Tala'Tak he does have a good question.
    That along with the improvements with the Leopard Focus AA, would it be better to not use Roar and revert back to Leopard and Talisman due to the other mana issues above now?
  10. Cauled New Member

Brohg, post: 3508518, Great and well thought out reply. As a Shaman I will have to rethink my spell line up depending on group and group content. Yesterday ( first day ) was terrible, I hate getting aggro as much as the tank classes hate me taking it...... SAVE THE FOOL SHAMAN, was the message of the day. I still think roar is obsolete unless the mana cost is lowered. " Dot classes have the unique consideration among dps of having to know or gauge how many total hp a mob has before even engaging abilities, to be effective. " "
    No argument can be made against that, Shaman have gotten a huge upgrade but they are going to have to work for it, one bonus is we can use less spells and free up gems for debuff and support during regular mobs then switch to an all out burn during Named. Only downfall is the huge aggro cost. Tank classes have Zero patience when it comes to fighting for aggro, so shaman better get the balance together if they want to be invited to groups. Good tanks put their swords away so the lesson sinks in.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  11. Bigfan Augur

You people are flat mental handicapped if you think roar hot only lasts 3 ticks.

Roar+renewal is prolly the best heal combo in game, cast those 2, with a good tank, you can dot your little heart out.

Besides, if in a good group, shaman dots will barely even tick..
  12. Lubianx Augur

The problem is you cant just dot your little heart out anymore due to the mana cost of these dots.
    That's the entire point of this conversation. With mana an issue now, do you stick with Roar or revert to Leopard?

Just for the record my main is a pally and I box a shaman amongst other things and for the record I rarely notice the heal portion of Roar, on the pally. I did, however, notice it last night on the shaman having to cani a lot more (Roar helped with that heal) even with only one or 2 max dots running and using roar (and this was on horseback too).

I think it now comes down to which is the better overall use of mana.
  13. Brohg Augur

The HOT is on for the full two minutes, this is trivially verified. After doing so maybe you'll reevaluate Roar of the Lion.
  14. Bigfan Augur

I was able to maintain 2 fast dots, and roar+renewal for 300 mobs no mana breaks, but mobs died in 14 seconds.

For bridgekeeper I did the long dots, but honestly if you take more than a min per EoK mob, you got a garbage group
    Cauled and IblisTheMage like this.
  15. Lubianx Augur

I wasn't talking about the length of the HoT on Roar (although Zizzle mentioned it) just it's spell cast mana value vs everything else now. As I said for me the heal portion for Roar doesn't really assist the Pally. For mobs with AEs it may help the rest of the group. Mine is more a DPS of Roar vs the new DoTs and the mana cost associated with them
  16. Minato Augur

Fixed for ya
  17. Bigfan Augur

45 seconds is without a zerk in group, zerk in group round 14sec.
    Slippry and Minato like this.
  18. Zizzle New Member

excuse me for believing the spell description, it does appear to be lasting longer

In Game Description:
    You roar like a lion, healing up to 7093 hit points every 6 seconds for 18s (3 Ticks) and adding a damaging effect to your weapon strikes.
  19. Lubianx Augur

I blame Rare!
  20. IblisTheMage Augur

1) EoK-trash mobs (5 mio, 7 mio hp) + 200k group dps => 25s - 35 sec kill time. We have no Zerk/wiz/tank, and pre-patch we could easily beat that, often spiking down to 15-20 sec (less if CH pop). I am looking forward to the new world order after the patch: we have a druid main and shaman main in the group :-D :-D. (Sham, Druid, Ench, Bard, Mage, Mage - mains underscored).

2) It would appear that aggro management is back on the table for Shamans, another Old School Virtue(tm) :-D . Shamans have always been a demanding class, at least if you are a playing the class to the max, and I am ecstatic that Shamans are getting a boost.

3) Roar is a fantastic spell, I have it calculated around 830.000 damage pr cast in our group (probably higher now, this was months ago when group composition was still developing), and it is wonderful adps for the Shaman. Shamans not casting Roar should be whipped with a wet noodle.
    Dropfast and Cauled like this.