Shaman DoTs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pinchos, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Pinchos New Member

From the patch notes:

"- Shaman - DoT spells that were consolidated in the last update are now less efficient and will do less damage than before. They will still do substantially more damage than before they were consolidated."

However Ancient: Scourge of Nife is doing 172 to 182 per tick. This is substantially less than before the initial spell consolidation. All other Shaman DoTs below level 60 seem to have the same theme as well. Can this be fixed? Thanks
  2. Sharnhorst Journeyman

Blood of Saryn is doing 271 damage per tick, down from 769.

It now does less damage than Breath of UItor, which does 301 damage now (down from 374).

And of course the dots still no longer stack, so huge nerf...

Is this a joke? WTF are they doing...
  3. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

They changed the entire line of DoTs all the way to 105. The original change, I assume, incorrectly over-adjusted the efficiency of DoTs available to us on TLP. Did you really think when Blood of Saryrn was doing 769 per tick they would leave it that way? Honestly?

My guess is they will continue to adjust the DoTs and it will end up somewhere in the middle. Or perhaps I am wrong and this was just another random goof like the poor Druids and their DoTs.
  4. Sharnhorst Journeyman

Previously, you could stack 4 dots for more than 769 per tick mate... revert back to previous state if you like.

This is no way near close to the previous damage via dot stacking.
  5. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I am well aware of how DoTs work both before and after the changes. The fact still remains that they changed the ENTIRE DoT line, not just those few spells you have access to on the TLP. Please stop assuming the game is balanced around anything but Max level (105) content. Get some perspective and realize when they make changes, sometimes they are attempting to resolve balance issues on live and we just feel the residual effects. Don't always assume they have changed something specifically to get under your skin.
  6. Sharnhorst Journeyman

I was responding to this... it was balanced and in line with the damage that DoT stacking did before consolidation, so yer, a change for lvl 65 and lower spells was out of place. If you think this was too much, well... I respectfully disagree.

Not too sure what's your point anyway, I have previous numbers written down somewhere and I will report this as a bug when I get the chance, but yer I am unhappy and I think the forums is a good place to communicate this to DBG :p
  7. The Nexus New Member

I agree it needed to be fixed but not to the point where disease is doing more damage now 400-500 for its duration and mana cost seems more balanced
  8. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I never said I thought it was too much, so please refrain from trying to infer some sort of secret meaning from the words I type. I simply asked if you actually thought it would stay at 769 per tick, which you still did not answer.

I am also not here to argue with you if 769 damage per tick is appropriate for a level 65. My point was, since you happened to trip and stumble over it without realizing what it was, is that you have zero perspective on this change, and you don't realize that you do not even have access to MOST of the spells this change has affected.

Just in case you missed my point again, I'm simply saying that they are balancing based around level 105, not level 65, so there are bound to be some issues and posting on the TLP forums about how you do not personally agree with something they did will not help them fix it in any way. If you would like to ACTUALLY make a contribution towards fixing the issue, then I suggest doing some testing, getting your data in a row and THEN making a post in the APPROPRIATE forums (Bug reports) and communicate effectively the issue.
  9. Sharnhorst Journeyman

What needed to be fixed on TLP? Maybe that the consolidated DoTs did less damage than DoT stacking? :p

Before consolidation (stacking DoTs):
    Blood of Saryrn - 335
    Ancient: Scourge of Nife - 295
    Bane of Nife - 258
    Envenomed Bolt - 146
    Breath of Ultor - 170
    TOTAL: 1204 damage per tick(s)

Consolidated (pre-nerf):
    Blood of Saryrn - 769
    Breath of Ultor - 374
    TOTAL: 1143 damage per tick(s)

NOW (TLP servers):
    Blood of Saryn - 271
    Breath of Ultor - 301
    TOTAL: 572 damage per tick(s)

Before consolidation you also did extra direct damage from casting the dots.

I have not checked for mana efficiency because I personally don't care, I can still be back to full mana before the dots wear off. But doing half the DPS is an issue (not like it was stellar anyway, on TLP).

And this is not what was on the patch notes too...
  10. Sharnhorst Journeyman

I know you did not; hence my "IF" :) If you think that was too much, I disagree with you. That's exactly what I said :) And yes, I think it should have stayed at 769 per tick.

There is a dedicate database for bug reporting where I will log an issue for this; forums are much slower ... but I think they are a good place to express your opinions.

And no worries I got your point, I just think is completely irrelevant :D
  11. Catashe Augur

In the end your guys are sadly just beating at a dead horse.. druids complained last month.. Shamans this month.. the devs don't care about the low level game anymore and I seriously doubt they are going to change them yet AGAIN next month... =\
  12. Hadesborne Augur

Poison DoT's
    Ebolt is doing 41DD + 106/tick, below the original of 110DD + 146/tick

Venom of the Snake is doing 33DD + 74/tick, below the original of 40DD + 114/tick

(I am not going to bother with the mana numbers on the poison dots for now)
    So it looks like the poison line has been incorrectly adjusted just looking at these two spells. The problem is that these no longer stack like they used to which further compounds the problem. We cannot compare these figures because these spells were adjusted in ERROR.
    PLEASE FIX THEM
    -----------------------------------------------
    Disease DoT's
    Scourge now 48DD + 64/tick for 136mana, above the original 40DD + 55/tick for 130mana (12ticks)

Plague now 143DD +104/tick for 201mana, above the original 60DD + 79/tick for 172mana (13ticks)

So, these numbers are STILL above the old original numbers. This may be worth some calculation.

Previously you could stack Scourge and Plague for a total of 100DD + 134/tick for 12 ticks and 79/tick for 1 additional tick. Total damage = 1787 for 302 mana spent.

Now you only get the higher of the two - Plague at 143DD + 104/tick dmg
    Total Damage = 1495 for 201 mana spent.

previous DMG/mana spent number = 5.92 DMG per point of mana
    new DMG /mana spent number = 7.44 DMG per point of mana

Looks like the new calculation is more mana efficient for the damage done.

But, of course, fights don't last forever. We want the mob dead as quickly as possible in most instances to help mitigate the damage we receive from said mob. Which is why most people focus more on DPS. Let's look at the DPS numbers then:

previous DPS @ 1787 / 78 seconds = 22.91 DPS
    new DPS @ 1495 / 78 seconds = 19.17 DPS

Looks like the old calculation is more DPS for the time spent.

So the question is what is more important, Mana Efficiency or DPS? Most people who play this game realize that total DPS matters a lot more in most instances, ESPECIALLY when you are talking about classes that don't have mana issues (Shaman and Necros) due to their mana regen mechanics.

I and everyone I know would rather cast two dots and get more DPS. Please you must understand that the issue with dot stacking and how many dots can affect a certain NPC is YOUR FAULT Daybreak. This is not an adequate fix.
    Please tune these up a bit.
  13. Mwapo Augur

I've got my backup character started for when they inevitably make necros unplayable!
  14. Hadesborne Augur

Oh BTW, I play a necromancer and if you (Daybreak) think that this "adjustment" to DPS for Shaman is acceptable, then just wait till you start messing with the Necro DoTs. We(the Necros)are already pissed you screwed up Ebolt and Venom of the Snake not to mention the "subtle" nerf to stacking Disease dots. Please don't take this opportunity to start re-balancing classes. It isn't the classes that are broken, it simply is the amount of effects that can be placed on an NPC, try adjusting that number first.

OR how about you place some of the shaman poison and disease dots under a different stack number and then balance it from there. Sure it isn't consolidating 7 dots down to 2, but 3-4 dots instead of 7 seems like it would be a lot easier to balance to me.

Please try and think outside the box on this issue for all of us. How many effect slots will you save if you shave the number of stacking dots down a fraction first and then review. These heavy-handed adjustments that then become major nerfs don't sit well with your customers.
  15. Daykin Journeyman

Seeing what they're doing to Druids and Shamans with dots..I'm glad they arent touching necros yet, though Ebolt and Plague just got hit.

If you're going to eliminate stacking.. you *have* to make the new dot at least close to what the stack was. This was the original idea and I dont understand what happened to that ?

What happened today is basically a double nerf to dots for those classes. It makes no sense on TLP. I can't speak to live, but how do you drop a dot below what it originally was, remove stacking, then call it a buff ? wtf?
  16. getrekt New Member

How bad are the people making these decisions? They DoT consolidation was a nerf to our DPS, but it was fine it wasn't terrible, and it improved our passive dps I could live with that.

The re do of the consolidation is freaking awful, the devs clearly have no idea what the heck they are doing, I understand that the DoTs needed to be changed a bit for live because the druid and shaman dots were warping the balance of classes, but you effectively neutered the ability for shamans and druids to play the hybrid class they were designed to be. Fix your ****
  17. Daykin Journeyman

Getrekt, they're basing the changes on lvl 105. Thats the issue. I imagine the changes arent as severe at that level. I know the 105 druid dots had become somewhat "op" by druid standards under certain circumstances at 105 which is what spurred the change.

I think the main difference is the major changes to dots in later xpacs (instant casts, faster durations, AA's to improve them etc)

The downside is they are destroying dots for max level players on their progression server.

If they cant consolidate them across the board..they need to only do it on on they can handle, lvl 105.

At this point it seems like its too much work for them to make it feasible on prog so they just double nerf them.
  18. OldTimeEQ1 Augur

Or they can consider feasibility of these changes being applicable tied to the expansion live is on now so they kick in on progression servers when the expansion opens.

Like pets damage mitigation, Auto grant for AAs etc.
  19. Fistosaurus New Member

Focus on that statement. It's the opposite right now on TLP: Pre-consolidation DoT-s are much higher damage than the current incarnation. We have enhanced XP for the next two weeks -- please give this attention ASAP.
    Old Man likes this.
  20. Sharnhorst Journeyman

Old Man likes this.