Shadowstep Doesn't Work (let's get this over with)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tucoh, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I hate it.

Mechanically, it doesn't work great. On perfectly flat ground, you can get the max distance of 234 units. Easy to measure by facing a cardinal direction, take a /loc before and after, then do the math. As soon as you put any kind of slope in the path of travel, the distance gets reduced. It seems like the game is counting both horizontal and vertical distance against the total amount, and eating additional units just for fun. Using the new Furious "Leap" on a non-fluctuating slope can project me 97 units forward and 39 units up, for a total of 136 units traveled and 98 units lost for no reason. On a declining slope, I was projected 126 units forward and 65 units upward, total 191 units traveled and 43 units lost to the ether. The new ability is variable and unpredictable. On perfectly level ground with a low and easily-crossed rock in the way, all forward travel stops immediately at the base of the rock, just like Tucoh's GIFs. Any of these issues are easily tested and reproducible.

Also, the instant relocation is a bit jarring, as the old Leap was very fast but allowed you to see the travel and anticipate your new surroundings. The new "Leap" teleports you a not-random-but-not-predictable distance immediately with no feedback.

Regarding flavor of the ability as it relates to the class, it doesn't make sense. Warriors are a pure melee archetype with low utility. You converted an ability that was physical and logical (using strength and stamina to make a long-distance jump) into an instant magical teleport. Berserkers are just as magical, considering their "special powers" involve Swing Weapon Harder and Blind Myself with Rage. Now they can somehow teleport, too. It's very silly.
    Skuz, Derresh and Tucoh like this.
  2. kizant Augur

There's no magic involved. You're so strong/quick that you can make short leaps at light speed.
  3. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Terrible change. Give us an improved (longer distance) old leap. I'd even be happier with just this reverted without increase. What we have now just simply put is terrible.
    Tolzol and Derresh like this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

How it's intended:
    [IMG]

How it works:
    [IMG]
    kizant and Derresh like this.
  5. Derresh Augur

Useless now compared to old version, will probably just remove it from hotbar in its current state.
  6. Tolzol Augur

You haven’t already? Slacker! Lol
    Derresh likes this.
  7. Leigo You come here often?

WTB Flashstep!
    [IMG]