Shadowknights Overshadowed

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ayoforYayoh, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ayoforYayoh Augur

Greetings my fellow 30something EQ addicts!

My tenure in everquest went from middle of kunark into depths of darkhollow. During that time i played one and only one main which was my beloved SK. Sure, i had alts...but hardly any of them saw the light beyond level 30 or so. I love the class, However i'm not 100% opposed to a new main if my paranoia of finding raid spots becomes a reality.

we always had a plethora of warriors for tanking but a fight here or there i would be on add duty along with the paladins. i truly don't remember having a significant tanking role on raids but rather than just dps stuff.

So my main question is this......are tanks used less as filler roles now days? do they lose spots to a real dps class <insert almost anything else>. i can only imagine as a whole we have gotten a great deal "smarter" about not just EQ mechanics but MMO mechanics as well.

If i roll sk on these TLP servers will i have to find a specific guild within my raiding time frame that happens to need a tank or will i probably find it easier taking up a dps spot? ...or am i just overthinking this entirely and i should just because who doesn't want a freaking sk in their raid.
  2. AgentofChange Augur

SKs are like the top dps class in Kunark & Velious. Only class I see beating them would be wizards, and maybe some melee on super long fights like nev & vulak. In classic warriors blow, so you'll depend on SKs & Paladins to tank.

Then you get into Luclin & PoP where there's lots to off-tank and SKs are super useful there as well. What I'm trying to say is SKs are a very powerful and always welcome class on TLPs servers, especially Agnarr.
    ayoforYayoh likes this.
  3. Dilf Augur

You might have trouble finding a raid spot, but there's no harm in trying. It's not that SKs are bad, it's because they are awesome and everyone is playing one.
  4. ayoforYayoh Augur

Yea that was part of my paranoia. but more so of guilds not just bringing anything online but rather than trying to be more optimal with raid builds. I'm hoping that i'm just overthinking it but if this is the case then ranger or rogue?

Appreciate the replies thus far
  5. fransisco Augur

All melee do crazy damage now compared to what they actually did in classic.

Plus, optimal is usually only good in theory. Groups go with what is available. No group boots a person just cause a different class is available.
  6. Dilf Augur

If you love the class, don't hesitate playing one. I've questioned myself just as you have. Just push through it. If you play on Phinny, there are like 20+ raid guilds and there has to be something there that suits you perfectly. If you go to Agnarr, you'll probably encounter the same experience.

EDIT- As for rangers and rogues.. Rangers are awesome but highly populated too, and rogues are the most rare since they are so group dependent and have no utility. I'd sway from playing a rogue unless you have friends to constantly exp with and like the playstyle of them.