Shadowknight Epic - please reconsider

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Gutt, Jun 29, 2018.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I want to address your second statement first: I agree that people accuse others of hacking without sufficient evidence far too often. And, in fact, I'm not even personally against hacking, except when there are rules against it. Because people who abide by rules (even if I don't agree with the rules) are at a disadvantage and are punished while those who disregard the rules are rewarded. And that doesn't seem right to me.

But, in the case of Marl, using an auto-clicker and going AFK is "cheating", by DBG's rules for this server. And while there really is no way to know if somebody is clicking manually or not before Marl spawns, it becomes pretty obvious that somebody is cheating if they continue to click maniacally for several minutes after they got the hand-in. (You can see the player's target change to whatever moves in front of them).

I have personally video recorded the behavior and submitted it to DBG. They didn't appear to care.
  2. That0neguy Augur

Using an Auto click is FAR from hacking though which is my point.
    Don't get me wrong, it is cheating for sure. But lets call a spade a spade.
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I'm not sure what your specific qualifications for hacking are, but using an autoclicker most certainly qualifies in my eyes. Perhaps your definition is outdated and limited?

Using a butterknife to open a lock instead of using it's intended key is a hack. Cutting a lock off a door with your sword is a hack (and with double meaning, no less! Hack hack hack!).

And yeah, being able to play the game while you are AFK is a hack. Whether it comes in the form of an autoclicker or in the form of a more invasive tool like M Q 2.

The simplest hacks are the best.
  4. That One Guy Augur

My favorite hack is sneaking food and drinks into a movie theater.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  5. Nobb New Member

Uh ....how is it a handout exactly if you want one turn in npc to be available to do the quest for more than one person every 1 - 2 days on a tlp server no less that exists in smaller time increments than original time tables for content release? Its like you said they get their epic for free all of a sudden if they dont have to stupidly overcamp a TURN IN npc.
    Frankly it is cool to have the epic be a thing not EVERY last person has but that doesnt mean THIS has to be the reason for it. Not like you dont have to hope for 3 different drops from 3 different planes let a lone the rest of the quest....
    Right now its like saying grats you got to do your turn ins instead of grats you got the items needed to do your quest.
    Why is this a hard concept?
  6. Azereki New Member

TL;DR: Put in some effort to work together with others on getting your epics done.

The Shadow Knight epic feels broken because of various systems changes (picks & instances) that have affected the availability of drops like Soul Leech and Decrepit Hide, as well as the workarounds to skip and repeat various steps (such as for the Head of the Valiant and Will of Innoruuk). Anyone arguing for the classic feel or rarity of the weapon are being disingenuous or trolling, because it's shockingly easy to do all of the "hard" parts now.

With that said, if you feel frustrated by the quest and want to complete it, then put in the extra work to cooperate with others on the server and figure it out. We've had a turn in list going for Marl for a couple weeks, six SK's have completed their turn-ins with minimal friction and no poop socking. Set aside any silly guild vs. guild animosity or drama for a minute and talk to other SK's on the server that might be your competition. You might be surprised how reasonable and willing to cooperate most other (doesn't even have to be everyone) people can be.

If your attitude is simply that things are too toxic, it can't be done, no one will cooperate, etc., etc., then you are part of the problem too. Whether DBG elects to make changes to the quest or not, not doing anything other than complaining about it on the forums isn't going to be productive. The reality is probably that their resources are limited, and no matter how easy of a change you might think it is, addressing one quest for a small subset players is probably not the best use of their time right now.

EverQuest is a sandbox game, use that to your advantage. There is strength in numbers and a measurable benefit to communicating and being better organized. Try to affect some positive change on the server and you might be surprised at how much more you and others will enjoy the game.

Finally, if you need help and want to work with others on your epic then feel free to reach out. I'd like nothing more than to pass the torch on this and see more people get their epics done.
  7. That0neguy Augur

I guess the dictionaries around the world need to be updated. They pretty much all say the same thing.
    the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer

What you are referring to I believe are "life hacks" because I am not sure how using a butter knife to open a lock qualifies as gaining unauthorized access to data.
  8. That0neguy Augur

Another SK I heard put it perfectly the other day just "Do Mechanics".
  9. Kahna Augur

And if you don’t want to work with the list be prepared to have the turn in mob in the hole killed to block you. Because nothing says happy cooperation like griefing anyone who doesn’t play along.
  10. That0neguy Augur

Wouldn't be the american way if it was any different
  11. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If the data is in a card catalog inside a locked room that you didn't have permission to access, would using a butter knife to break into the room to access data in the system (card catalog) fit your definition?

In EQ, the devs have only authorized access to the data (such as the quest hand-in mob) via the game client, and have specifically banned AFK auto-clickers. Doesn't accessing that data via an auto-clicker constitute unauthorized access?
  12. That0neguy Augur

No, you gained access to a room with the knife, not the data.

Turning in an item is not accessing data. Sorry you feel the need to define an auto clicker as hacking the game? Why I don't know. So you can brag to your buddy's that you are a hacker?
  13. GRUSOME New Member

I got it the night of the best of the best on Tholuxe Palles. an erudite got it that morning. needless to say he eedged me out but it was the most dang fine sword for years!
  14. Risiko Augur

I retired my SK, but I won't lie and say this was the main reason. The SK epic was only part of it, but it WAS a part of the reason. I moved on to another class.
  15. Typucm Elder

+1
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you wait until Legacy of Ykesha the quest gets a lot better.
  17. MesoSKCoirnav New Member

SK epic is kind of garbage to be honest, considering all the effort involved. The chest piece from the midpoint is the real prize (sadly, also locked behind Marl). The sword just isn't a class defining item like some epics are. As soon as you enter Velious there's a half dozen or more better two hand weapons. If you get the item, that's great! Otherwise, I wouldn't gnash your teeth or quit over it. I've been using Greenmist and an Atra shield since a week and a half into the expansion and I haven't felt deprived at all. I like my fancy little Katana.

That being said, I think they should just make Marl not despawn, but if they haven't done it in 19 years, they may never do it.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

That is hilariously ironic, since @thatoneguy started the semantics arguing by calling out my use of the term "hacking". Does that mean he (and you, if you side with him) lost the argument way back then?
  19. NotRightNTheHead New Member

Ill get the thread back on track for a moment. I spoke with a dev as I made a similar post about the SK & Enchanter epic. They have no interest in changing something "thats been this way for 18 years" and their main focus is: expansion who gives a for 2018.

Shouldn't be shocking all they care about is your money not the problems they dont wanna address.
  20. discordkitty Augur

They sure do change a lot of other stuff that's been that way for 10, 15, 18 years ...
    MaxTheLion likes this.