Shadow Asylum

Discussion in 'Guild Recruitment' started by Sulerill, Nov 25, 2015.

1. AlmarsGuides Augur

My family is Italian, fish for Xmas and for X-mas eve, had to edit before someone pointed out the cultural inaccuracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

I already know!
  2. Vaclav Augur

How is that Italian?

I thought most Italian traditions were the same as Catholic ones (which I was raised as - in an Italian Mecca - north Jersey)?

And fish most certainly wasn't any holiday besides Lent and weekly on Friday as a routine thing.

Course major holidays for us were 40+ people for a small one growing up. Until my generation started having kids every holiday was a family get together. Fish is problematic for big parties I'd imagine.
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

I have absolutely no idea, I didn't make the Italian cultural rules =P

I do like smelts though.

Ironically enough I was raised in South Jersey in a heavily Italian town as well
  4. Sagnid Augur

I find that a lot of people moved away from Turkey because of their inability to cook a turkey. Dry turkey is a horrible thing. Using a brine really is not that hard people.
  5. ScarletLetter Elder

dry turkey D: never wished upon my enemies
  6. Steampunk Augur

Prime rib trumps turkey any day.
  7. Weverley Augur

I'm catholic and during lent we always got fish every friday also and no i'm not italian.
  8. Sagnid Augur

Yes I agree with you, with conditions. Not cheap prime rib that is under cooked to mask a bad product, or prime rib bone out. to mask a bad butcher.

Either way. Prime rib still is not a meal for Thanksgiving. Prime rib is an every day meal. Turkey is reserved for the week of Thanksgiving.
    Vaclav likes this.
  9. Vaclav Augur

I meant that as a general Catholic thing, grew up with lots of Italians, but my family is a mutt of Europe genetically - German for most traditional stuff.
  10. Lejaun Augur

Deep frying turkey is great for keeping the meat moist.
    MBear likes this.
  11. Vaclav Augur

Still not had the chance to try deep fried, rig failed prefry the year an uncle was planning to, so he aborted.
  12. Batbener Augur

Turkey for Thanksgiving, prime rib and ham for xmas, and chicken and lamb for Easter.
  13. Sagnid Augur

Deep frying turkey is for show. It adds no flavor and is rather costly to set up in comparison to a brine. If I am going to go through the extra expense I would rather smoke a turkey. It is safer, adds flavor and does the same job with moistness.

Brining for me all the way. Smoked is a close second and barbecue a distant third.
  14. Lejaun Augur

I disagree. Deep frying a turkey is one of the most delicious ways to make a turkey. Crispy outside and moist meat inside. There are a lot of different rubs you can put on the turkey as well.
  15. Lejaun Augur

16. Sagnid Augur

Aside from the skin. The injection is adding all of the flavor to the meat. You could transplant this process to any other method of preparation and achieve the same result.

Again its a valid and near fool proof form of cooking a meal. But I still find it more for show then practicality.
  17. Dojii Augur

Lol suddenly all the Iron Chef's have risen.
  18. Vaclav Augur

Nothing wrong with a love of food - in moderation.
  19. Sagnid Augur

Preparing ones own meal is an enjoyment. A hard won experience from trial and error. Even if I had a ten million dollar rap career. And a pathological requirement to troll any and all TL members on the internet. I would still find time to cook for myself and those I love.
  20. Lejaun Augur

It's harder to make a good turkey than it is to beat classic content.