Severe and shortsighted SK nerf with Feb. 8 Test server patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Khat_Nip, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Aghinem Augur

I'm not grasping at straws and I will reiterate that I do not want BS responses. I want to see evidence that this can be done legitimately SOLO with no outside help in a controlled environment. That is not a unreasonable request.
  2. Warpeace Augur

No, no they cant. At least be accurate while trying to drag other classes into this crap fest. Paladin agro vs SK argo or Warrior agro isn't on the same plane of existence.
  3. Aghinem Augur

Oh come on - Yes, warriors & pallies do not swarm or cannot hold aggro on the same scale - so I will give you that, but they do still swarm. Maybe about 20-30% less mobs, but it still happens.
  4. Triconix Augur

And after the changes, SKs will too, just will 20-30% less mobs. What ability would you lack that would completely wipe off swarming as a possibility for the SK?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. gotwar Gotcharms

No opinion on nerf itself either way, but he did that too:

also drogba, that UI, how do you see anything?
    Drogba and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  6. Bandien Elder

Beimeith + Drogba = Everquest III: The Return of CasterQuest :eek:
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

You do not appear to have any semblance of a realistic understanding of Warrior aggro abilities....
  8. Warpeace Augur

You expect tanks to see anything? Isnt that why they try and pre position them and point us at the target before starting an event?:D
    gotwar and Kunon like this.
  9. Sancus Augur

The only BS here is you accusing others of using cheat programs and bot armies based on evidence that's easily disproved. You're looking for anything you can find to diminish the credibility of the video because you don't like what it shows. Pretty sure that's the textbook definition of grasping at straws...
    Drogba, kizant, Vdidar and 2 others like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Too easy for raid geared folk with max aa who for the most part have been shown how to do their burns and make best use of defensive aa in raid guilds yes (Serious raid guilds have perfected play for each class and it is a teachable skill) Too easy for group players who have never raided don't have someone helping them out with how to play their class not so much. The EOK group visibles are a good way to close the gap on gear some.

I went from group gear to CotF raid gear pretty fast during TDS and as a tank it made a massive difference. I generally have my aa maxed a several weeks into an expansion. Once group players are fully geared up in EoK T1 gear things will be better but you have to expect that the T1 zones of EoK have to be doable by average group geared tanks. Let's also remember that going in to EoK the merc tanks just were not cutting it for many players.

Daybreak's answer is to look at the abilities used by high end players the most and help tune them down so that starting zones in new expansions are not so incredibly easy. All a matter of degree though because they will always be easy for the high end players; raiders in particular but high end group players to some extent too. I am also sure all this looking at abilities that have been around forever is due to Phinigel. Daybreak does a lot of nerfs or changes based on balancing the game for that population of players. If we only had live servers I doubt they would be looking so much at abilities that have been around forever.

Throw box groups into the mix and you add more variables.. boxers who true box without software and boxers who use things like [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] or the software that will not be named. Todays game won't survive without boxing it brings in too much cash for Daybreak. Maybe things would have been better if boxing had never been encouraged or more had been done to discourage it in the early days.

Daybreak has to design zones that will keep a bunch of groups happy, hard core raiders, Top group players, average group players top box players average box players and to a lesser extent the die hard soloers/molers. Some content is always going to be super easy for the very top and somewhat hard for the very bottom.

If the high end want raids tuned closer to their ability levels a few things need to happen.. Closing the gap between group and raid gear.. .that has happned in EoK some. More training of group players through open raids run by raid guilds and one on one mentoring. Help everyone get closer to the high and players and then you narrow the skill/gear/abilities range needed and can create content that most will find challenging.

Problem with fixing this is that for some the whole idea is to be able to do content that many others can't. I think a lot of people would lose interest if they were not able to excel past others in the game. Which makes sense I guess some are higher achievers then others. I think when it is all said and done that high achievers have to just live with the fact that some content is always going to be too easy for them.
  11. moogs Augur

Easier said than done. I love new and returning players and I spend most of my time online working with them. Some of them are very easy to work with because they have good listening skills and will follow along with instructions and ask relevant questions. Others are - and I'm sorry to say this - just very stupid people and it's hopeless to expect anything from them because they refuse basic advice and won't put 10 minutes into improving what they are doing.
    Kravn likes this.
  12. Roxxanna Augur

THIS

And then you get overly frustrated and burnt out trying to help.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  13. fransisco Augur

I would do anything for EQ3!
  14. Bandien Elder

I mean, it's inception was to be that....

http://pantheonmmo.com/

Per Wikipedia-
    On March 6, 2013, McQuaid announced that he had returned to working on EverQuest.[2]
    On September 9, 2013, McQuaid released a statement saying that he had left SOE, but would continue to work with them. This news, coupled with a string of hints dropped throughout Twitter and various message board posts, led the community to believe that McQuaid intended to work on a true spiritual successor to EverQuest and Vanguard independently.
    On January 13, 2014 the game was announced as Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen alongside a Kickstarter campaign.[3]
  15. fransisco Augur

Isn't pantheon supposed to be like classic eq where you NEED a full group to get anything done?
    That kinda makes me less excited.
  16. Peechka Journeyman

Yeah, kind of like, you know, the most popular EQ server right now, Phinny?

Looks good...
  17. moogs Augur

The best thing about Pantheon is that it's not being designed and "supported" by DBG.
  18. segap Augur

Perhaps making content a little bit harder would motivate those that suck to get better. Catering content to the lowest denominator just placates people. Make it a challenge, and people will seek out answers on how to improve or even experiment and learn themselves. Those answers are readily available and there are lots of players that enjoy sharing tips.

Yes, you need a starting place where people that have not learned go to get better. For that, we have Gribble. Although that has proven to be a breeding ground of bad players due to its complete lack of difficulty and high rate of reward. So we also need good carrots to lure people out of easy mode content for true risk vs. reward enticements. The answer is not to make questy, scripted content that requires running around looting a couple things here, a couple there, handing something in, hailing, running across a zone, etc. Gribble is popular because it's efficient. Most other cotf HAs are no harder, just very tedious (and buggy at various points in history).

What I've said before is I'd like to see 1-2 zones per expansion that are tuned to really challenge people. The rest can be of typical difficulty, but give those that want to push limits a place to do so. POW was an attempt at that, but they also failed on the reward side. Yes, there was some nice loot there for the era, but they made the exp horrid. Difficult should not exclude reward. They need to keep the risk vs. reward curve so that people that may not be looking for the challenge are also enticed to join those that are.
  19. Vdidar Augur

this thread went from dumb to full just like bam!
    Turayalon and MrMajestykx like this.
  20. Warpeace Augur

You mean like if I'm getting nerfed I'm going to try and take you all with me?