Server's downtime start

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fleeting, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Fleeting Augur

Can we for the love of god, please take servers down at midnight instead of 6 a.m. You guys are literally taking away 90% of the day of Everquest for some people. If instead you take the servers down at midnight it would still give us a full day of Eq and the people raiding euro times wouldnt be affected either
    thebeasttt112 likes this.
  2. Febb Augur

They stopped doing over night patches a long time ago. You can guess why that is.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

There really is not a win in terms of when they take the servers down. Taking the servers down at midnight would take a whole day away from myself and others that play during this time. A revolving patch time would be the fairest method but I assume they do patches at this time because the developers are in the office for most of the patch so when the game goes live again it actually functions properly (yes I know half the time its still broken).
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Cite your source
  5. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Hey, I’m at work... patch away!
    Vola likes this.
  6. thebeasttt112 New Member

No I can't, considering nearly every AAA mmo patches at the least impactful times. Even Asian MMO's bring their US servers down around midnight CST. If DBG wants to fix the bad practices of SoE, they'll patch when the least amount of players are effected. Common sense.
  7. Nuttmeg Augur

DBG is an investment company.
    1. Patches during business hours are cheaper.
    2. The majority of the paying customers (overwhelmingly USA based and working during "normal" business hours) are not overly impacted.
    Vola and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  8. Febb Augur

Daybreak Games is a small company compared to those other MMO's. Their money goes to their flagship game so EQ doesn't get paid to have staff on hand after business hours unless they approved overtime I'm sure.

You'll be ok not being able to play for one day. There are plenty of things to do other than play EQ.
  9. thebeasttt112 New Member

1. They are only cheaper to the shortsighted, as it pisses off the people paying your bills.
    2. You must be in Europe, swing & graveyard shifts are commonplace here.
  10. feeltheburn Augur

trust me you ll live for one day really.
    kizant likes this.
  11. Thrillho Augur

Third Wednesday of every month is update day. It's been like that for as long as I can remember or care to research. Easily predictable. More or less these patches take 3 hours to complete. 6AM PST / 9AM EST downtime, up by 9AM PST / 12PM EST. Sleep in. Go out for brunch. Tidy up. Pull it a bit longer than normal. It's not the end of the world.

The dev team is a skeleton crew compared to other MMOs. Having a swing or graveyard shift work at 12AM / 3AM isn't ideal, especially when you run into problems during patches (which are not entirely uncommon). If your team is a generous 10-person ensemble, having 2 come in early leaves 8 well rested and ready to help out with issues when they arrive at work on time.
    Fanra and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. thebeasttt112 New Member

So many white knights defending bad practice, it's no wonder the amount of poor decisions that have been made over the years.
  13. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

No they aren't going to suddenly change their patch schedule to appease a minority. Most people are either at work or asleep during the morning hours of the US/North American time zones which is where the majority of their players are from.

If there is no delay then the servers should be up soon and you'll still have a few hours to play today/tonight depending on your time zone and where you are in the world.
  14. bazinga Elder

They have their reasons...either accept it or don't.
  15. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Go play something else or do something else instead of wasting your time trying to be a keyboard warrior on here. Your post is definitely non constructive and easily could have been deleted by a moderator.
    feeltheburn and Goodtimes like this.
  16. thebeasttt112 New Member

The minority are effected by midnight maintenance, versus midday? Please stop trolling.
  17. Febb Augur

If you are willing to pay the developers to come in at midnight, I'm sure Daybreak would be more than willing to allow it. Until then, you can scream all you want but until they give EQ more resources and staff around the clock, this isn't going to happen.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  18. Thrillho Augur

Oh man, you know this game I've been playing for 18 years?
    Yeah, what about it?
    They're still updating it!
    No kidding. That's awesome.
    But they do it during regular work hours.
    So?
    Well I want to play then!
    Like, every day during work hours?
    No, just once a month.
    That doesn't seem so bad. Do they just pick a random day you can't plan around?
    Sometimes. Well, no. It's usually the same day every month.
    Like a Saturday?
    No, Wednesdays.
    How long does it take? 12 hours?
    SOMETIMES! Sheesh! It's usually only about 3 hours. Why can't they do this at night?!
    Probably because they've got a dev team they want to keep happy. Would you want to go into work at midnight once a month?
    NO!
    Seems to me like they want to enjoy their work.
    But I want to play!
    Don't you have anything better to do for 3-12 hours?
    NO! I'm so gonna quit. That'll teach 'em! I'll show 'em with my wallet!
    Riiiight.
    Maedhros, feeltheburn, Venea and 7 others like this.
  19. Treiln Augur

Right there.

The need of the many outweigh the need of the few. Gonna make a few assumptions (since i cannot truly prove it, nor do i care to do the research to prove it lol)

1) Most of the player base who pays a subscription work your average 9-5 (or similar) job.
    2) People who work your 9-5 (or similar) job are one of the biggest income makers to DBG
    3) Krono's and SC from Marketplace are bought with real money. Not in game money. Money comes from working jobs. Which most people work from 9-5 (or similar).
    4) Most people who are able to log in and play at 7am (PST) / 10am (CST) are not working your typical 9-5 (or simliar) job.
    5) Most of the players who play, subscribe and feed DBG with income work a steady job (usually your 9-5 or similar job)...without an income = No EQ
    6) 5 was just a recap so you're still following and can understand 7
    7) #5 =/= #4 ...or....MOST of the players =/= playing morning (USA based time zones).

So although someone is going to be affected and end up unhappy with their choice to patch/fix/update when they do...I'll reiterate that "the need of the many outweigh the need of the few".

And just for the record, I work 12 hour rotating swing shifts. Some times i'm forced to play at night, other times i'm forced to play during the day, and some days I can play all day and/or all night (like today). So some times I'm affected by the patch, other days I'm not...but you don't see me throwing a fit and demanding they change their ways to compensate me...
  20. thebeasttt112 New Member

You cannot simultaneously make the argument "it's only 1 day a month deal with it" and "lolwtf it will cost a fortune." You shift the schedule once a month to have a maintenance day that doesn't look like amateur hour.