Server Stability

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Skiper, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ecko1 New Member

I said sites like that troll you might have to do a little digging if you want the truth
  2. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

If there was a better site to link, why didn't you link it instead? Didn't feel like digging?
    Jaymunkeks likes this.
  3. Ecko1 New Member

Wow people are suddenly db lovers. I searched a few times earlier when eq was lagging out checked multiple sites and found nothing showing anything in California being attacked. Later when I saw the claim db made that they were the victims I just did a quick google for one of the links and posted that I was more upset that they were blatantly lieing to us and thought I would get that info out there for those that arent blind
    Exor Haloslight likes this.
  4. Stench New Member

LOL.... dude. One company cannot possibly monitor all websites / game server traffic for DDoS attacks. Not happening. Just because that website isnt reporting it, doesnt mean its not happening.
  5. AlienRespwan New Member

Well actual that can be done with the right 2th generation firewall you can monitor millions of websites or and other servers ... we are doing it all of the time ;)
  6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Those sites showing attack information have very little access to but a select amount of traffic.

And Daybreak isn't hosted in California.
    Stench likes this.
  7. dstanky New Member

You can only monitor websites' traffic if their traffic is passing through your hubs or you are a gateway. Backbone hubs don't inspect packets for malformed requests so to monitor 'millions' of websites you'll need to be directly inbetween source and destination OR have the destination running hardware capable of reporting usage back to you. There are only a few companies that offer largescale subscription-based monitoring that can provide usage statistics for 'millions' of websites, one being cloudflare and I don't think they're being used in this case.

So for websites stating "These are where DDoS attacks are happening worldwide", they either need an 'inside man' like specific hardware monitoring packets through routing hubs, they are a service subscribed to by the victim or they are receiving reports from a 3rd party like from an ISP. The likelihood that every website in the world or every DDoS attack will show up on these publicly available sites is 0%.
    Stench likes this.
  8. Elyssanda Bardbrain

9. AlienRespwan New Member

You need the proper tools to do that mate, and you are not capable of doing that *sigh* bunch of amateurs... of course it will not run on your IBM X86 with amateur sniffing tools.
  10. Rickoshay Journeyman

This is intolerable DBG.
    Despite your year end message that you were working to improve the server stability and make the game at least playable, the instabilities, server lag, and launchpad issues continue. What's worse, with the launchpad down, cant even do anything on this end.
    It is not fair to the players that have gold accounts that have paid their subscriptions faithfully and expect due diligence from DGB to keep their assets such that we can play without interruption. Downtime should be for routine maintenance and updates in content, and always be announced ahead of time. In a mature game such as EQ, these instabilities should have been resolved long ago.
  11. Stench New Member

It "can" be done sure, if you have access into their environment, but 1 website will never have access to *all* environments. Like this site like, it does "not".
  12. Stench New Member

LOL..... this guy.
  13. dstanky New Member

We're not talking about just sniffing. Packet inspection is what is needed. Sniffing is capturing packets, yes, but if you are monitoring 'millions' of websites through hubs where you have the world's traffic passing through them, it is not possible to inspect every packet (or even a tiny fraction of them), let alone sniff them all out without incurring extremely bad traffic flow or spending billions on the monitoring hardware alone. There is a reason why subscription-based companies charge as much as they do - the cost of packet inspection across 'million's of websites would be astronomical. The idea that 'million's of websites can be monitored for DDoS attacks through a company is what I am scoffing at.

End-user hardware like the majority of enterprise firewalls have packet inspection enabled but that is on the client's end, not middleman inspection like you're suggesting, so if your idea is to just have everyone install some cisco firewalls and then report their intrusion attempts, that's not the same as a company monitoring the packets of millions of websites.

I'm reminded of a middle manager who kept telling clients that "anything is possible*" and I had to keep telling him that he needs to explain what the asterisk means. It means that anything is possible with unlimited time, money and resources. So I dont doubt that with the "proper" tools it is possible, but how many billions of dollars would you need to make it a reality to have realtime inspection the packets of millions of websites' data and why hasnt this company been created yet?
  14. Claan Elder

Xegony Down
  15. Claan Elder

Xegony lagging randomly to the point of breaking a mission I was in. About 4 hours wasted today due to bugged quests and server stability.
  16. suds New Member

I want to see responsibility and start issuing a few days credit to accounts every time servers go down. Either we'll see a defunct company, or some serious improvements
  17. Exor Haloslight New Member

Agreed. This is out of hand.
    Geroblue likes this.
  18. Drakah UI Designer

Agreed!!
  19. Xegrogue New Member

xegony still having bad lag
  20. Justbefairaboutit New Member

I think it crashed completely 20 or 30 minutes ago. 15 traders in bazaar.
    Laggy right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.