Server Mergers Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Corwyhn Lionheart, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fala New Member

Exactly.
    Thank you.
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm happy with the AB community as it is.

That said if you have to merge us please do it with a server which still has guide events!
  3. Evertrek Augur

i would return and pay a sub if DB took an honest stand on this issue.
  4. Lianeb Augur

No <-- Poll vote

I just want to see it locked
    Brohg, Scornfire, Mintalie and 2 others like this.
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Didn't you start a thread like this about a month ago? Almost identical topic?
    Act of Valor, Brohg and Allayna like this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

They might have:rolleyes:

But since we have a new Community Manager I'm guessing they decided to try again.
    Allayna likes this.
  7. Silver-Crow Augur

This is an interesting question.
    Enforced server merges always makes someone unhappy.

It's far better and more organic to do this gradually with free character transfers.
    For live servers, keep the rules the same as to which server you go to.
    For TLP, you can transfer to any other TLP that's ahead of your current server in timeline.

When a server reaches fippy or brekt status i.e. dead, switch the server to 'sunset' mode.
    When in sunset, you can still connect to the character select, but the actual server is gone, so you can't actually enter the world or create new characters on the server. instead you have a small server, serving up the character select, which you can then manage the transfer of your characters to wherever you want to go.

This way, people can move to busier servers if they wish, or remain on quiet servers if that's their thing. Inactive characters are still accessible (via the sunset mechanism), and can be moved if the owners wish to resurrect them. In addition there are no drama's about running out of server slots, and any renames are done by the characters themselves.

Realistically this is the easiest and best way of amalgamating the player base, as nothing is forced and everyone lands where they want to.
    Allayna likes this.
  8. Xanadas Augur

the positives of merging far outweigh any negatives (there basically aren't any). it boggles my mind why servers are not merged more often to create more vibrant and active servers. "it's a lot of work for dbg" is not a valid negative, either. :)
  9. Numiko Augur

Didn't they also say due to recent changes in EQ and server code its now technically impossible to merge servers? So the question is moot, even if they wanted to merge servers it cannot be done at present.
  10. Silver-Crow Augur

No server merge required with the character transfer solution :). Servers would just move to sunset when they're no longer relevant. I think you'd find that the server populations would sort themselves out over time.
  11. Bamboompow Augur

Server mergers are the MMO equivalent of forcing everyone who lives in a rural area to upend themselves and be relocated to somewhere much more congested (and contested). If you want to move to the city from the country, that should be a choice to be made and paid for on an individual level. Right now each server has its own sort of identity. There are obvious destinations if people want high end raiding, open raiding, casual etc. It works. So if your tastes change, than you go to where suits your new tastes.
  12. Rylak Elder

Next time, man up and say YOU wanted to talk rather than throwing the proverbial "People" card into play.
    Caell and Brohg like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

So childish.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thank you for giving a thought out opinion on this instead of some of the childish ones. We can disagree but that happens in discussions.

While I can understand not everyone wants to be on a high pop server I think and this is my guestimate is that more people on low pop servers do want higher populations.

In a perfect world when mergers occur I would love to see a new server name made up but I realize that probably isn't as easy to do any many would hate it. But if as you say they merge similar sized servers it would seem to be the fairest way to do things. And yeah I know a lot of folks are stuck on their server identities.

I still don't see why lower and higher population servers cannot merge. I get that you feel the lower population server will feel overwhelmed or I think you mentioned before Bazaar Barons would lose out to the higher pop server people.

My logic in adding in high pop servers is they seem to be doing something right that made them the high pop servers. Something is going on for those servers that retains players more. But you do bring up valid points which is why I like this discussion nothing is going to be all one way or all another there are lots of things to consider.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Apparently you were wrong about it violating the forum guidelines.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

There would be no forum discussions if they locked every thread that was full of hot air.

What really and truly confuses me is why some people seem bothered by message threads. I mean any adult in the room could just skip a thread they are not interested in. People actually enter a thread just to post they are not interested in it. Now if they deleted all the childish comments the forums might be a more civil space but they would have to hire more moderators for that.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

How about this compromise.

For those adults who want to discuss the various sides of this thread in an honest and polite way continue to participate in the thread.

For those adults who feel there have been too many server merger threads or are just not interested in the topic ignore it instead of trying to derail it.

For those adults who just don't care either way. Carry on you aren't impacted.

I don't understand people entering a thread just to say they don't want the thread when they could just ignore it.
  18. Lianeb Augur

What truly confuses me is the need to keep starting new threads on the same topic, with differing subject lines. I feel like this topic has been brought up in at least 6 threads in just the last few months.

Why not post in or continue those various topics.
    Caell and Brohg like this.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ummmm another guy opened up a thread about it but it was phrased as a poll. That was why I opened this up to continue the discussion in an appropriate way.

But yes it is a topic I enjoy discussing. I wasn't trying to hide behind anything. I wasn't thinking hey I want to start a discussion on this initially.

And yes all those other threads I started I was afraid to lay claim to the fact I was starting them. Sorry dude weak tea.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Because Allayna would have complained regardless? At this point all it takes is for me to say black and Allayna will say white.

Lots of things get brought up multiple times. As far as I know once a thread drops off the list or so far down no one sees it there isn't a forum rule about starting a similar thread. Many others have done it. I haven't started up server merge threads one after another.

I think the bigger question is why some members seem to feel the need to be forum police.

Let me ask you Lianeb a question. If you aren't interested in the thread or feel its been done already why is it so hard to just ignore it. I ignore threads I am not interested in all the time. Why actually expend energy explaining why you don't think the thread is needed?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.