Server Merge

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raylen, Jul 29, 2018.

1. So Happy Augur

Mega-server. No, just no. DBG doesn't have the resources to provide above average customer service. A mass merge would be a logistical nightmare and people would be stuck in limbo waiting for resulting problems to be fixed. It would be far better to just allow free transfers off servers they want to close down. Give each character a free transfer token and set a date for the server to close, at least a couple months should be a allowed for people to move.
  2. Rhodz Augur

That is like saying oil solves fuel shortages... yeah it does but that is kind of the problem
  3. Silver-Crow Augur

Ah but there's no merge, that's the point. Players that want 'busy' can transfer to the mega server, using an already established process, so there's no mess, no fuss and no issues with the number of characters you have on other servers.

With AOC's and pickzone you don't have people butting heads with each other, so a mega 'live' server would work.

Personally I hope they try this instead of releasing yet another TLP Phinny clone in 2019 to further split the playerbase. We want players migrating to servers, not causing them to split up even further.
  4. Funk Augur

Anyone who is on a normal server and is not happy can buy a token and transfer off. You are not stuck there and there is no need for server merges with those servers.

The server I focus on is Brekt, which like FV is a one way destination. However, those who started there as the "Quarm" server had no idea the server would be changed to a prison like FV. So my beef is they should offer a transfer off Brekt for those that wish to leave. Free or from a token purchase it makes no difference to me, just throw us a bone and make transfer tokens available for purchase on Brekt. Problem solved for that server.
  5. CrazyLarth Augur

Once Event I on the Quarm server has run its course, characters will be moved off of the server. Our plan is for new events to be a fresh start on Quarm. my complaint is when is Quarm 2 starting?
    snailish likes this.
  6. snailish Augur

I'd like to transfer from FV to Brekt...

I'd even pay to transfer from FV & Brekt to Fippy (stalled progression server).

Could be a fun experiment. $ for Daybreak...
  7. So Happy Augur

I could live with this option but if forced moves are involved, no way. I think if DBG makes a mega server then they will merge servers to it, or force people on to it by some means. It wouldn't make much sense for them to do it otherwise. I don't really have a dog in the fight, so to speak, as I'm perfectly happy on test server.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Over aggressive guild recruitment (on the Live servers at least) happens when there are too few players out there to recruit not too many.

Speaking for myself I run a large casual guild and we have a great reputation and I am in favor of server mergers. I also respect the fact that others are against server mergers.

The people for and against mergers all have their own reasons and neither side is any more or less selfish about it then the other. Neither side is either more or less altruistic either.

In my opinion most people who want mergers ARE NOT ninja looters or guilds with bad reps. Just as most who do not want mergers ARE NOT folks who are more concerned about getting camps whenever they want and not having to compete for them at all while they box all by themselves.
    Yinla and So Happy like this.
  9. Febb Augur

Ummm logic doesn't belong on these boards sir. We smash our keyboards and insult to get our point across.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. fortuneteller Augur

However DBG sure going to use logic to see what is most profitable for them to do, and look at the history of earlier merges.

Last 2 servers who merged was not a success, but gave them a rather big job of fixing up, costing them a large amount of resources.

That is 1 of reasons there will not come a merger, without major causes, which are not there yet.

Second is that, if there merger, it will result in less servers, and less x-transfer, meaning less income for DBG.

If a 1 server, then no x-transfer at all, no income at all.
  11. Maedhros High King

I don't think I would mind if a few small population servers were merged with a few large pop servers, or just merging three or four of the low pop servers into one big server, but I am totally against the concept of merging it all into one giant server. You guys that are all excited for /pick zones most never have been actively camping in a pick only to be unceremoniously dumped back into the original zone when its population drops. In a zone like Sathirs tomb, where there is one highly sought after camp, you suddenly have an entire group drop on top of you when their pick collapses and it leads to unnecessary conflict.
    The only way I could support that is if they changed the way picks work, so that they stay open as long as there are 3+ people in a pick.
    In fact, that should happen anyways whether there are server merges or not.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. lancelove Augur

New servers (live) are awesome! When Stormhammer opened I was there and it was great! Guilds were started, guilds moved over, it was great! Then Morden Rasp was created and guilds were created and guilds came over... Servers now are stagnant! Merges would be good for the game. Period.

Cmon Roxxleyy help me help you help us! XOXOXO!
  13. gointomexico New Member

yea, there are people. My kids wanted to play, and we tried on Povar. They complained that there wasn't anyone around, so we moved to Friona Vie.
  14. gointomexico New Member

I played on Aaganar last year and experienced pic zone dumping. Usually got dumped on when someone picked over, and then they picked out. I have lost a pick, but was ok with that. It was not a big problem for me.

I am OK with moving to a new server, but I don't really want to move my main over unless the server is populated. It is not clear which servers are the most populated ones.
  15. gointomexico New Member

16. Evertrek Augur

video is a waste of time, nothing new is said and yes everyone knows there are idle servers now.

please everyone that wants a merge just pay the xfer fee and move to a high pop server (not really sure how to find a growing active recruiting server though). please donate to the poor DBG gaming company that needs more cash to keep the servers powered. wow if i was a dev working on EQ i would be either looking to retire or move on to another company, no money to pay for interesting work anymore... that about cover it???
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. xcitng Augur

No to server merge, please, the Devs have enough problems now to deal with, we certainly do not need more.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  18. Aurmoon Augur

Rather than a strict server merge, I do think it would be great if they could announce, two months ahead of time, a 1-time, 1-week window where Character Transfer Tokens were very meaningfully discounted (maybe to 1000SC each). Then, leave it up to the EQ communities to promote which types of players should consider joining which servers. Example: Bristlebane and Povar both host multiple raiding guilds with serverwide pickup raids and could be good destinations for the raiding inclined. Trakanon and Vox have much lower populations and are more friendly for the group-oriented or boxing folks.

The idea would be for a one-time, discounted migration. Let players coordinate amongst their guild / friends. Still permits Daybreak to generate SC sales, possibly sales that would not have otherwise occurred.
    Coagagin likes this.
  19. Geroblue Augur

Weekends and holidays, particularly in US summer, can mean a zone is crowded. Or even a server.
  20. Geroblue Augur

Since I, and likely a number of others, have over 100 toons on multiple accounts, 1000 SC is too much. For me, more like 5 station cash over a month of transfers would be significantly better for me.