Server Maintenance / Server Down Time Frames

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisard, Dec 20, 2019.

1. bortage spammin lifetaps

I feel like we should get 2x of those doubloons from TBS pirate missions for a week for this outrage
    Duder likes this.
  2. Excrutio New Member

How about testing the deployment to a staging server before locking out an entire revenue stream... This wouldn't fly in our shop, heh.
    Swordfish01 likes this.
  3. Ashian Augur

Because the expansion launched on a Wednesday and they needed Thursday to actually fix the broken stuff and patch it ASAP? I’m personally quite pleased that I’m going to be able to complete the EW Partisan/Mercenary tasks this weekend rather than waiting until Monday. Also — if this patch doesn’t go well, they have the weekend to fix it rather than the Christmas holiday.
  4. Nennius Curmudgeon

You are a hopeful person.
  5. Braveheart Augur

So, you want 0.15 per kill instead of 0.10 per kill? Seems fair.
    Mahaha spawns a lot.
  6. Swordfish01 New Member

You know what is so funny is that 20 years ago I was saying the exact same thing on the forums.
    Let me tell you how it really goes. Dev Management-Kirk: Scotty, what kind of time frame are we looking at?
    Scotty, in his pressured position gives the absolute BEST time frame to get the job done and make Kirk happy. Scotty: 4 hours Captain!
    Kirk then relays the info to Starfleet Command, who then relays the info to us.
    We all know through our infinite patience and wisdom, that coders never finish on time, nor do they necessarily get the job done correctly. In this case its both. What gets me is that Kirk NEVER learns this and decides to be honest about it and tell Starfleet the truth. If Kirk had lied and said 8 hours, we might all have been happier.

You know, I can see the coders now, one guy sitting and two standing, one looking over each shoulder of the guy sitting. All looking at the scrolling code on the monitor and talking in alien.
    They cant figure out how the code they installed today, affected the code they wrote two years ago. Its like looking through a telephone book page by page by page, looking for a phone number without a name for reference.
  7. Hythos Augur

Fun speculation:
    Because a new(er) programmer that has worked on Return to Velious was not around 18 years ago to work on A New Velious, and subsequently has taken the last day or two off of work for PTO to sit in line to watch Return of Skywalker....
    certain variables introduced to Torment of Velious have activated content on all servers, allowing ToV-era equipment to drop on TLP's....
    papachooby, FubarEQ and Swordfish01 like this.
  8. Braveheart Augur

4 Hours has turned into 8, or is my math off?
    Swordfish01 likes this.
  9. Triconix Augur

IT 101: Take the amount of expected downtime and double it to be safe. All my changes to production have so much time just in case. That way nobody is ever angry and complaining.

Keep up the good work Devs. I hope you find and correct the issues ASAP. Production changes are always a hassle.
    Swordfish01 likes this.
  10. mewkus Augur

Duder and Nennius like this.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Seriously has DB or SOE ever threw in a double xp / whatever reward to offset extended downtime? I can't recall it ever happening but maybe who knows
    Swordfish01 likes this.
  12. Riou EQResource

If you can run discord on your phone, the EQResource discord can let you set up a server role and it will notify you there when your server goes up or down :p
    Daedly and Duder like this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I demand regular exp for the next three days due to the down time.

AND

Dreamwalker must get us a SHRUBBERY!
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

I still want a black polo shirt with a gold logo saying "Downtime Sucks!"

Failing that, drought tolerant shrubs please.
  15. Kneeo Journeyman

I assure you this patch issue will be closer to 12 hours than 8 before it is all over. I don't say it snarky-like either; klanderso doesn't even have an ETA on the ETA.
  16. Daedly Augur

Indeed I can, indeed I can!. Thanks for the information.
    Riou likes this.
  17. Jondalar Augur

papachooby likes this.
  18. Swordfish01 New Member

Hey guys, they have transfered EQ over to the latest Unreal Engine. They have upgraded all the Geography in all zones to 2020 standards along with all character graphics to match. Give them some time to make all our dreams come true.
  19. Greymantle Augur

Emergency patch :)
  20. Torque New Member

CPR on the 20 year old hamster is taking way longer than normal...