Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. HoodenShuklak Augur

I guess I meant moreso like, allowing boxing makes people want to start accounts. Of course, removing truebox would probably make some people make a lot more accounts. The alternative being P99-style where I think most people just have all their toons on 1 account because they'll never box.

So I do agree, Truebox prevents more accounts relative to the old TLP's, but it's probably far from p99/no-boxing.

Anyways, I'm not even sure what we're talking about at this point. I vote to remove Truebox at level 70 though. #MNGA
    Rasper Helpdesk likes this.
  2. WTBPvpTLP New Member

Just please don't ONLY do a non-truebox server. If anything make a non-truebox + a truebox server so people aren't forced to play with massive box armies.

PS: PVP TLP PLS
  3. Machen New Member

Lol. Have you seen the truebox servers lately?
  4. WTBPvpTLP New Member

Yup, it's still not as bad as Magefire.
  5. Fraggly Augur

How about you just stay on your current truebox server with the 3rd party bots that never get taken care of instead of making it yet another ghost town. You aren't forced to abandon your current server. Does this thought ever even cross your mind: Staying where you currently have played for the last year....? If the answer is something about post-PoP not being your thing, or new server rush of players blah blah, then a seasonal server needs to be made to keep you, and others like you, happy while other server types get a chance. You can repeat classic-PoP ad nauseam and have all your progress be wiped out each season to start over.

The list of TLP truebox servers is kind of ridiculous at this point. Only the newest one is ever really viable anyways. Consolidate the classic-PoP fans on a repeat server so the scattered remains who enjoy the 70+ game can get together in one spot as well. A truebox seasonal and a standard non seasonal release?

PvP TLP would be better than yet another clone, i guess, but EQ PvP seems so.... bland. I remember jumping into the PvP arena my first time and being surprised that i could see a rogue in sneak/hide. Maybe i remember incorrectly though as it has been a very long time since then, or maybe this is not how it works on PvP servers(?).
  6. Duality Augur

Free box/trade on one, Truebox pvp on the other so we can just get that outta the way and not heinously split the remaining populations and force the boxers to truebox again. Name it Piragul.
  7. birisu Elder

You aren't forced to do anything. Don't play on it. If enough people abstain from playing on a non truebox server then daybreak will see its unpopular and they can go back to releasing phinigel clones every year for those sweet bag sales
  8. Xhieron Elder

One thing I feel strongly about is that, to the extent possible, we should have one primary server. Splitting the population always ends badly, because unfortunately there just aren't enough of us left playing anymore, and the population always falls off between expansion launches. Sure, there'll be a ton at the beginning no matter what the ruleset, but we know how quickly that tapers.

This unfortunately reiterates my earlier concern that the game needs underlying architecture work, work that might be out of reach despite our highest hopes. In any event, we should hope for the absolute best efforts to avoid fracturing the community across server lines.

If that means we get only a box-infested server, well, so be it. Hopefully it would at least motivate some outcry and actual momentum toward enforcement. I'm trying to make peace with the reality that that might be what's on the horizon no matter what we say here, but I think it would still be better than having two servers, one true and one not. The result would be what we're seeing on Mangler as we speak: people who are running box armies are already willing to cheat. They'll play on both servers anyway, because this is a job to them rather than a game. The worst offenders haven't been stopped. That's not a good argument against enforcement (or the preferability of true box), but it's a concession that Magefire is to be avoided if possible, but if not, it's still an improvement over a ghost town.

The alternative--multiple servers with rulesets differing only on this issue--means a waiting game, potentially months before we discover which server will live and which will die, probably with no real prospect of transfer.

In the end, we don't know how many of these we have left. The next launch could be the last. In fact, grim though it might be, it's not out of the question that the last launch has already happened. So however motivated we might be to see the server we want, we're that much more motivated to make the most of it because our days are numbered.
  9. Fraggly Augur

I'd prefer two servers just because of people like you....

Stay on your truebox server, don't come to the standard server and spew your enforcement nonsense. I lost count of the times people who want to box are stupidly told "Well play on live and you can macaroni all you want! haha!". Say whatever you want, playing a tank with your own healer is fun. Never worry about the healer randomly AFKing for babies, social media, or a damn TV show while you just slowly die out. Finding the few people who will actually help you with something that no long benefits them, and vice-versa, to make a team is funner than what exists on truebox.

Stay on Mangler if they only release a standard server. Why in the world would you come over just to preach your rhetoric when you have multiple dead ghost town truebox servers to go to. I wish they would quarantine you on a seasonal server.

I really can't understand if something is wrong with your head or not, or maybe even mine at this point.

STAY ON TRUEBOX. What is so difficult about this concept? I don't play on truebox, so why would you play on standard?!
  10. That0neguy Augur

You can be on anyserver you want and do what you are complaining about. You still cant cheat to do it on any server they make.
  11. Fraggly Augur

You are right, guy. Nothing will change because apparently box=cheating 100% of the time. I don't want to do the multiple PC/laptop/keypad shuffle and have no interest in cheating the rules of a server.
    Duality likes this.
  12. Xhieron Elder

Did I hit a nerve, Fraggly?

I'm going to play on the most populated server. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities. Unfortunately no one's going to quarantine me just because I would dare to do such an unspeakable thing as have a different opinion from you. I'd love to keep playing on Mangler past POP. I would have loved to have done the same on Fippy, or Ragefire, or Phinigel. But alas, I'm in a small minority there, and I confess I'm no more immune to burnout than the next guy (especially on Selo, which I still feel bad about).

If the population is on a boxing server, that's where I'll be. And don't misunderstand me: I'll box. Just two, but I'll almost certainly box. I don't think it's ideal, and I'm not going to cheat, but when in Rome, right? If you're upset that I think the company should put a stop to cheating, well, don't cheat. I'll cheerfully concede that truebox might have run its course, but you know, I just can't convince myself that anyone's running twenty accounts at the same time manually. Did you think I was talking about enforcing truebox rules on a non-truebox server? Read the post again.

If you're not cheating and someone confused you with someone who does, then I'm surprised you're not up in arms with me advocating that cheating should be actively prohibited and consequences enforced. The cheaters are giving ordinary multi-boxers a bad name, after all.

I'm fine with boxing. What I'm not fine with is cheating, and I feel like truebox has been the best solution, if heavy-handed, that we've seen so far. But it's not the only solution; I only care that people not be allowed to run roughshod over the rules when the rules are as simple as "you can't use a machine to turn this game into a money-making enterprise for yourself or your employer at the expense of the other players." People shouldn't be allowed to cheat. That shouldn't be a radical position. If it is, then we should probably just pull the plug altogether, because the cause is lost.
    Fraggly and Vexn like this.
  13. Duality Augur

6 on their own pc and 14 in bazzar
  14. Planeofhaters New Member

Just saw this thread and wanted to weigh in!

I would love to play on a server with non-true box, AoC's, FV style loot, and that started in Velious or Luclin. Thanks for exploring the idea and listening to feedback :)
    Duality and HoodenShuklak like this.
  15. Xhieron Elder

Truebox or not, I would also support a Velious start. Luclin start has been done before on Selo, and Mangler is just starting POP in a couple weeks, so if we're looking for a launch in the near future, Luclin might be a retread for a lot of people. If there was a way to start with all races/classes in an older expansion that would be one thing, but geography and spaghetti code might make that impossible.

I know a lot of people are very attached to classic, but several TLPs in, I feel like I've seen enough of Guk. With a classic start or not, I'd love to see some tinkering with ZEMs to make alternative leveling zones more attractive (and changes to experience caps to make soloing viable again for people who enjoy it). That said, I'd rather see a Velious start, opening up all of classic, plus Kunark, plus Velious on day 1.

On the other hand, with as large a part of the game as AAs become once they're available, the "level to cap and then make alts" phenomenon of a long engagement in the trinity is a pretty compelling argument for a Luclin/POP start.

Then again, if you really want to get crazy we could do GOD for six months so we have zerkers at start (plus the rest of the leveling game), but I have a feeling that would go over like a lead balloon.
  16. Ansun21 New Member

Id be in for this, start at velious, let me know box 4+ accounts on my own PC, my wife will be happy to have the living room multimedia PC back. And, I wont have to use all my remote desktop, mouse without borders, magic tricks to run my trio-box setup right now.
    Shwonk likes this.
  17. Gottas New Member

Mangler is where I wanted to be. The xp rate wasn't terrible and the time between expansions was fine. My life schedule is the thing that made me cancel my sub. I am in a weird timezone so it's usually too late for most people. On top of the timezone issues I am also a functioning adult with full time work and a family as well as social obligations so my weird-houred playtime is pretty limited. When I was a kid waiting around for 2 hours to get a group was no problem but now I see it as a huge waste of time. I'd love to jump back into an EQ tlp but honestly can't see myself bothering to resub unless it's a non-truebox. I want to be able to have a duo or trio and start xping right away while being able to invite people to fill the extra slots rather than stand around and hope to find the right mix of classes to get something started.

TLDR Yes pls to the next Tlp being non-Truebox. Classic/kunark/velious would all be fine places to start.
    Shwonk likes this.
  18. Basak Augur

I like the idea of starting in Velious. Normally, unless people use alts, the Velious 30+ zones get little use for actual XPing be nice to XP in these zones. The same can also be said for Kunark. Though I wouldn't mind starting in Luclin as well just without the whole Selo speed deal going on.

I can not get behind a GoD start, though I can get behind a zerker at beginning thing. There is really nothing that attaches them to the expansion, they have always felt like a "let's put this new thing in here" kind of class. We could unlock their epic during Luclin so that there would be two epics that can be done in Luclin instead of just the Beastlord. As for having Beastlord at the beginning, the class has a large lore tie with Luclin, so unless we start with Luclin I wouldn't want to see Beastlord's at the start. While Berzerker has a lore tie in with GoD as I stated previously, it just feels like a tossed in class to me.
  19. Fraggly Augur

Beastlord just feels like a tossed in class to me. Berserker goes with the rage of GoD. :rolleyes:
  20. likestobox Lorekeeper

Any idea if we are going to get a non true box server this year?