Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Xanathol Augur

Yes, that is what I meant. I maintain a min of 3 accounts now and would do so at this rate as well.
  2. Xanathol Augur

Things change.

There's easy ways to branch DB tables, code, etc. Putting that aside, if all classes were unlocked at launch on all servers, going out on a limb but I don't think anyone would be upset with that.

Just stop.
  3. code-zero Augur

Stormhammer was closed on February 1, 2016. If that server had been profitable I very seriously doubt that it would have been closed. That server had a great deal of what you claim to want in the area of GM presence. The fact was that it bled money like a stuck hog.

Now as for how easy it it sot just rewrite entire databases....if it were that easy there are a lot of other issues that should come way ahead of allowing weird combos like Ogre Mage or Gnome Monks....seriously is that sort of garbage really so important?? Maybe you're one of those who want the Ogre frontal melee stun resistance on silk classes which is utterly useless once you've gotten to the higher levels.

As for stopping the botters...I'd suggest that perhaps people should stop spamming CS with thousands of petitions about the same crews that the GM's are likely watching all the time anyway and be more productive with your reporting. Going back to Stormhammer, if heavy GM presence is a positive it'd still be around
  4. Xanathol Augur

So you have access to their financials?

Either you are attempting to level up you forum quest warrior or you have no idea what you are talking about. There is no DB 'rewrite' needed and no one mentioned your strawman. Between this paragraph and your botting one, I'm pretty sure that counts as a FQ warrior death. Need a res?
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Comparing current live servers to TLPs and past live servers is .
    Rallos Zek was the most popular server in EQ for a really long time
    Zek now is dead
    They game changes and with the game changing certain rulesets become more or less desirable.

As far as botting punishment goes, DBG is straight up a joke in how they deal with it. I know people from guilds that i've been in that have botted toons for 7+days straight before the get hit with a 3 day suspension. DBG goes comically light on people who get caught botting and because of this it becomes profitable to bot and because it's profitable to bot people do it a ton. It has nothing to do with them being inundated with petitions and everything to do with the fact they ignore or give slaps on the wrist to people blatantly botting.
  6. Ashian Augur

I just counted. You have personally posted in this thread 30 times. We get it. You don’t support a non-truebox server. I hope the devs that are evaluating this thread recognize that the majority of the negativity is coming from just you.
  7. Aneuren Tempered Steel

Daybreak policy makers, please don't make this thread just another stomping grounds for truebox supporters to come and dump all over anybody that dares to disagree with them. Stop letting some of your players dictate how the others "should" want to play.

You can plainly see that the interest is there, for years you have seen this, and just because some other people might not like non-truebox with AoC doesn't magically diminish that interest.
    Trex likes this.
  8. xmPradah Not a dude

Why does it feel like this thread was created as a distraction/herding mechanism? There hasn't been a single Dev/CS/GM contribution to this thread aside from dreamweaver creating it and stating it was posted to consolidate existing threads (paraphrasing).

Does DBG have a legitimate interest in creating a non-Truebox TLP for the players? If so, why not setup a poll to determine which rulesets would be the biggest hit for such a server? Something other than the "hey talk here" and then leaving us no indication that anyone is even reading/considering the conversation.

You can't leave customers to just hash out a potential option... you need to be involved in these conversations, and DRIVE THEM, if you want a positive result.
  9. Nocturnus Elder

So... i'm not a boxer. I'm a grouper. I like to partner up with other people and share the experience of the game with others. EverQuest has been designed for that, clearly. It's a game that rewards accomplishing things together as a party.

On live servers, that experience is often diluted, and yes, boxers have at least something to do with that. For someone such as myself, often, because of boxers, I find myself having to compete with spots in groups for someone's box and compete for content with box-brigades. It even colors how people sometimes see certain classes. For example, i've mained a shaman for years, and because it's a very popular box class, people often assume that its role is just that: A slow or buff bot with a Heal over Time. It's a little silly how many times i'm mistaken for my friend's box because that's just how the class is seen.

Truebox feels like Daybreak's solution to that problem, and having now played on two different truebox progression servers, it has felt like it's alleviated a lot of the above. I also find that grouping seems to happen more organically there, as the expectation is: You group to get things done. That means that people are looking for groups more frequently, form regular "static" parties more regularly, and seem more apt to try to do content together.

That said, in an era where people have busy schedules and real lives, I can understand the desire to hope that you can just log on and "do things" without having to feel like you're chained to a party. That you can accomplish things on your own. I often play other games like Final Fantasy because of that. It's super easy for me to log in and get something done.

The problem here is that, and likely is the reason for the discussion being so heated, allowing for boxing does have an impact on the other playstyles in some ways, and doing truebox does have an impact on people's ability to "solo". It's sadly a give and take for the reasons i've listed above.

What I fear more than anything is that if they decide to do two servers instead of one, they will divide the playerbase. And I know, I know, it's already happening with the yearly progression server releases that restart the clock and cause people clammoring for the "new" feeling again to abandon ship... but that can at least be staved off a little bit with the new concept of Miragul, i'd think. There's still that fear, though, that a great idea will be made sour by splitting things up into two camps.

Because of that, here'd be my suggestion, and while it isn't the holy grail, it's just my take on how they could make everybody happy.
    1. Choose which direction you want to go and stick with it. Me, personally, i'd love to see one server and one community with Truebox at this new type of content delivery, but that's my opinion and nothing more. If you decide to go non-truebox? Then do that and just let that be the way the server is. Don't split your community in half.
    2. If you stick with truebox, pair this by offering free Heroic Characters on live servers as a "win back" for the people who want to box. You'll also draw back old players wanting to get back into the content again.
    3. Merge regular servers. This is a plea to stop sticking heads in the sand about server populations. Part of the reason, from my observation, that progression servers are so popular is that there is a guaranteed good population that will be there. Solve the population issues on other servers and this likely dissipates.
    You will then create a new, interesting, truebox environment for people wanting to group together and progress the content as it comes out partnered up with people, and give a populated place to play that makes boxers happy as well. You also won't split the community in two with the server launch.
    My two CP at least. I know this message is a little long, but I wanted to offer my constructive feedback.
  10. xmPradah Not a dude

I don't see a need for DBG to make the game either Truebox or non-Truebox. Quite the opposite - they need to structure the game to have consistent and renewing options for the entire playerbase. Versatility and options will lend more favorably to the game than imposing limitations in playstyle.

I really don't think boxing would be an issue for most of the community if the they (DBG) put an end to the cheat/hack programs in use by the bot armies.
    Alekzandre and Ghubuk like this.
  11. Lumiens Augur

I haven't checked the forums here in a few weeks because I've been busy playing WoW Classic. I'd happily cancel the 10 accounts I'm boxing there and come back to EQ for a Non-True Box, AoC, FV loot style TLP.
  12. Alekzandre Augur

I have always thought that "True Box" was not the way to do things. I understand the want to control multi-boxing and the small bad element that goes with it, but I think you can find another way. There exist other ways to prevent boxing, though they may be more costly in some cases.

I think there should be servers that do not allow multi-boxing, but EQ does not have one.

Forcing people to use multiple PC's to play multiple toons seems bad for a few good reasons.

1. It takes much more power to box toons using multiple PC's, than it doe to do the same with 1 PC. If you are going to allow multi-boxing allow it to be done with one PC, so we don't have to waste the power, and money, to do it with multiple PC's.
    2. Having to move around and do some things with multiple keyboards, mouses, etc, can cause some very serious health issues. Making people do unhealthy things in order to play multiple toons is just mind boggling to me. This could open up some cases where DBG is liable for damages and medical costs.
    3. Some older people (like me), just can not do things with multiple PC's like younger people can, and I am not going to risk further injury, in my case, to be able to do it. This puts me, and others like me (the user base is getting older), at a disadvantage, unless I do something unwise.

Yeah I know there are supposedly ways around the above, that violate the rules, so they are not an option.

I can easily box 4 toons on a Live server, without any third party software, on one PC. I can do 6, but that is exponentially harder for me. Using 4 or 6 PC's to do the same seems foolish.

This is not 1999, we are supposed to be smarter now, and know better ways to do things. An old slogan comes to mind "Work smarter not harder".
  13. That0neguy Augur

LOL do you actually hear yourself when you say stuff like this? I've seen a lot of lawyerquest before, but this one has to be the best.
    Accipiter likes this.
  14. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

The fact you think thread shows "interest" is crazy. Like you understand this thread is completely dead right? P99 is hitting 2-3K concurrent players during peak hours.

If DBG wants a successful TLP like Phinny they need to figure out how to draw the P99 crowd back in. This means limiting boxing not opening the floodgates for boxing.
  15. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Just for reference on non-truebox servers most of those programs aren't actually considered "cheating" or "hacking" by DBG. The "warping" the "show" is but the log based programs that fully automate gameplay are considered legal so long as you're sitting at your PC "attending" to the "gameplay." Programs that allow you to broadcast keystrokes to multiple toons at once are legal so long as they don't contain other "cheating" functionality. Pressing 1 to make 24 Mages nuke and send pets is perfectly legal.
  16. code-zero Augur

That's funny, a while back Daybreak perma banned dozen of accounts of Twitch streamers who were using the programs you mentioned. When they find them they are very harsh.

I get a sense that people like you are of the sort who'd think that banning a dozen innocent accounts is acceptable as long as you can get one cheater in the lot. DBG seems to have much higher standards than that for taking disciplinary actions
  17. Elskidor Augur

First, remove Krono off the market of potential new server, and then discuss the boxing debate. Krono is the number one problem for fresh TLPs as it gives incentives to cheaters, who are actually boxing and hacking heavily, regardless of the rules. Fippy was a bit of a nightmare without AoC, but nothing compared to Ragefire/Lockjaw after the addition of Kronos and allowing cheaters to ruin the lands. Eliminate the main problems and go from there. Boxing might work, but not with all the other crud in the mix.
    xmPradah likes this.
  18. That0neguy Augur

Not 100% true. The program most people are using does insert DLL files into the game client. You may not be using those features of the program but it is doing it regardless.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

That's what it was 20 years ago, sure.
  20. Hdizzle Augur

Day 14....

How's that interest gauge looking?

I keep thinking about all the additional sub revenue the new nontruebox AOC server will bring in... will probably make creating that next Live Expac a little more fun, eh?

BTW TBL was good! imagine what a great Live expac and a dynamite TLP in the same fiscal year would look like :)