Server Delay is Out of Control - Bristlebane and Others

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Xerzist, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Xerzist Augur

There is a very noticeable server delay on Bristlebane and I would wager its affecting most other populated Everquest servers. Why is this happening? I'd wager it has to do with the auto-grant AA system. How does this system work in theory?

- A player enables auto-grant and the game runs a check against said character to know which ones to auto-grant.
    - A player levels (which causes instantaneously lag and a delay that everyone is currently experiencing) and the game runs another check against said character to know which ones to auto-grant.

The issue with this system is that it must be widely inefficient and causing significant and unnecessary load. It was not a problem in the past. It's not a problem on progression servers that have not reached AA's.

So while this is one issue - another issue is that the game is in general running very clunky. On one hand this is good as we have an influx of new players, on the other hand as someone who is tanking mobs on the regular a 3-5 second means a wipe. I've wiped to this four times this week where my client will not register whats going on for 3-5 seconds.

What's the solution? I do not know exactly how the game is coded and how the AA system is put together but I think it needs to be fixed. You can't make mobs in ToV that hit this hard and not have the game running at peak performance.

How to test AA lag? Make a character that is capable of auto-granting AA's and go to any zone with some friends and level them.

How to test general lag? Go to a populated zone such as Great Divide and witness the delay of delays.