Server crashed AGAIN

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tutankamen, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

When you are deep into code trying to find out what is wrong, you don't need someone jogging your elbow every five minutes.

The people working on this are well aware that we are waiting on them and that we want updates. When they have figured out what is wrong and have some idea about how to fix it and some idea of how long that might take, they will let dreamweaver know.

In the meantime, taking time to report that they have nothing to report just slows them down.

That does not stop dreamweaver from chatting with us, as I assume his job at this point is just to communicate and does not involve him finding and fixing bugs.
  2. Areakus New Member

running out of things to do around the house so decided to check on my old favorite game. I havent played in 7 or 8 years. I see nothing has changed, download and servers down.
    Herf likes this.
  3. Rebelicious Augur

Hehehe, you tickled my funny bone. Still downloading FFxiv... as the current state of affairs is terribly unworthy of (respect, loyalty, blind subservience) etc. It's a product... and only as worthy as it's ability to provide entertainment. If I bought a washer and it didn't work and was always in need of repairs... I wouldn't fan worship the company behind it, sorry.
  4. oldblue New Member

3rd day in a row. I want a pro-rated refund for the money ive paid to a game not available and canceling my subscription. this is ridiculous. done.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

This is a life and death matter? More updates are good, but it is a game.

Or stand up, walk away from the computer. Do other things. Frustration is normal. I get that. But it is still a game. During the downtime today I have helped my wife (a kindergarten teacher) get her curriculum on-line for the next two weeks. I have answered 7 e-mails about how to put curriculum on-line and something like 47 e-mails from parents who have concerns. All this while helping my daughter get up to speed on her on-line High School work. In short, if the game is down, there are other things to do.
    Kildaill likes this.
  6. Tshesebe Lorekeeper

I thought you guys told Mangler that this sort of thing happens all the time & that we shouldn't get upset?
    Herf and Aneuren like this.
  7. Rattasmack New Member

^^Entitled AZZBAG
    Herf and Kildaill like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

At about .50 cents a day that comes to $1.50. Peace out.
    Sazxus and Kildaill like this.
  9. Kildaill New Member

Well this isn't a washing machine and comparing it to such is a little ridiculous. Its a 21 year old game with a lot of code and programming.
  10. Nofuture New Member

I hardly think asking for hourly updates is outrageous. A dev team that cannot provide that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
  11. Mizen Baenre Lorekeeper

Hah, you deleted my post but not someone quoting my post. Y'all are hopeless.
    Herf likes this.
  12. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I love laughing at all the people who demand a refund anytime servers are down lol. The Scheduled patch day "I demand a refund" ones are the best. The unexpected crash day ones like today still give me a good chuckle though. I know no one reads the EULA, but you would think after 20 years of them never once doing this that people would get the hint that it will never happen. Still, month after month there's at least 1 to laugh at lol.
    Thunderkiks and Tekklis like this.
  13. Windance Augur

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes ....

For those who have never coded a large, complex, code base with a ton of moving parts should take this time and enroll in some of the learning to code classes.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Vythika like this.
  14. johntherob Journeyman

Maybe you shouldn't let your top people head to WOW. Maybe you should listen to them instead of the 19 yr old kid who "knows" how to fix everything just give him a minute......
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

This I can certainly agree with. Perhaps not on the hour, every hour, but more frequent communication is, if nothing else, a good PR tool.

P.S. Been playing since late 2000 (still play) and overall the level of dev. to player communication has gone up in that time. Blame it on the bug tracker forum perhaps, but it actually is better.
  16. johntherob Journeyman

There is a EULA?? Is that where is sets rules for play and such that have all been basically tossed out by Daybreak??
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Well...the EULA is for their protection...not yours.
  18. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I wouldn't say "Tossed Out", it's more like limited enforcement. There's still players getting suspended/banned for breaking the rules, they just have a MUCH smaller enforcement team than in the past. Think of it like a major city such as New York that over the years has lost 75% of it's police force. The laws and punishments are still there, it's just your chance of getting caught are a lot smaller than they use to be.
  19. Nofuture New Member

They know we aren't going anywhere. We're the mentally challenged who have kept the lights on for the last 20 years and they'll continue to treat us as such.
  20. Herf Augur

I've worked at a large company, contributing to mail and directory server products which were used by major worldwide corporations. We had feature testing, load testing, and compatibility testing. It's not rocket science, it just has to be budgeted for and carried out by responsible adults. Sadly, when I've worked at a couple of game companies, both small and large, I've seen that they lack what the Boy Scouts have: adult supervision.

Game companies are not software companies. They are entertainment companies. Have you ever seen a movie where the plot and characters are set IN a movie studio? Remember all the swelled heads, the assistants, and assistants assistants? All the executive producers, senior producers, and assistant producers? In a game company those are the people who make the decisions. They determine the features, the delivery dates and the prices. Now, remember the guys who ran the lights, the camera, the set dressers, the caterers? Those are the devs. They don't get to make any decisions. They get stuck implementing whatever the producers, game designers, etc. tell them to. And then they get stuck picking up the pieces when the idiots who made all the bad decisions...screw the product up.
    Sokki, Metanis and Fanra like this.