Serious question re: survivability/moloing

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Denhbers, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Denhbers Elder

So, in reaction to the recent news...

Are there any plans to help zerkers and rogues molo? Increase our mitigation perhaps? Better defensive discs? As stated in other posts, some zerkers are preferring "survivability" over "utility". I am in that camp also.

This post is about class inequality, not class envy.
    Brogett and Norathorr like this.
  2. Harabakc Augur

I think it's pretty clear the community doesn't believe them when they say "we're going to increase the level and keep it useful!"

Something to increase mitigation/avoidance and not have us give up a large portion of dps would be nice.
  3. Brogett Augur

Decapitation and assassination for gaining solo XP was always about flat out killing and reliability of doing so. As soon as it needs 5 assassination procs to kill one dark blue mob (that's about the average assassinations needed to defeat current hp levels) then you're essentially turning it into "just a bit more dps".

Rogues get a double whammy from this too. As we'll no longer be able to trigger it off riposts, it means we can only get an assassination attempt on every backstab and those are less common when tanking than when dpsing from rear. So the one time we need it most (moloing older content) is the time when it'll also be the least powerful.

So, I get it, you're changing the purpose of these abilities. Fine. Please consider some other way to make us a class that can get XP without spending hours trying to form a group or without having to box lots of extra characters. I'm not asking for parity in solo XP gains to the true soloers or moloers out there or parity with a full XP group as that's just daft; maybe half XP levels that they get would be fine so we have sometime to do while waiting for the appropriate people to come online.
    Norathorr likes this.
  4. Norathorr Augur

I wish they would keep the proc rate the same,but lower it as mob level gets higher so that we are not op in top end groups. The problem with it going off two times a minute is that our molo exp gains will be terrible compared to classes that can distance mobs. The other main problem for me is that even if it does proc on higher levels our survivability is still horrendous. I came back recently and got to lv 100 in grounds, and have started taking on the 'solo tasks' in shards landing. I watch casters destroying mobs, while I win purely down to luck. Granted I do not have the new HoT and Cotf defense aa, but I have the maxed for VoA And this is an entry level zone. I am equipped in tier 2 VoA raid gear and still my hp are bouncing up and down like a yoyo while my poor merc struggles to keep me up unless uncanny is up or advanced retaliation. Rogues and Berserker are in serious need of mitigation boosts, not at the expense of dps, but because our survivability in todays game can only be described as laughable.
  5. Brogett Augur

I died so many times moloing tasks in Shard's Landing despite being max AA and with raid gear. Some mobs just hit so hard that you need the merc to be spam healing, and unfortunately they take a few seconds of AFK now and then!
  6. Harabakc Augur

It's not like we can take the hits for the riposte change to matter in the first place. In the current state of the game we cannot tank 3 expansion old content. Forget nameds, just exp mobs. It does take what little efficiency we did have for moloing in 4 expansion old content, and gets rid of it.
  7. Cicelee Augur

I am not trying to argue, or debate, or ruffle any feathers...

Throughout the history of EQ, rogues were never really considered a "solo" class when compared to the others. While a rogue could sometimes be successful, that never seemed to be the allure of the class.

Just because some classes can solo, I don't see why every class should be able to solo on the same playing field. Not everyone is on the dame playing field when it comes to raids- you don't see 9 enchanters on a raid, but I have seen 9 clerics. Some classes are just better than others at some things, that is ehat makes EQ...well, EQ.

So I do not understand the desire and necessity for rogues to want to solo/molo like the other classes.
    Booger likes this.
  8. Harabakc Augur

Forget same playing field, we're not soloing at all. It was semi-practical in HoT to go kill level 88 mobs and MOLO , we could do it fast enough that it was decent for AAing, now even that is "over powered" for some ungodly reason.

Every other class in the game can. Warriors have good enough mitigation that while they can't do a lot of damage they can tank VoA+ mobs and kill them with a healer. Monks can easily enough. SKs still can, paladins can swarm undead. Rangers even in a bad situation can root and ranged. Zerkers get screwed in about the same way we do.

Not only can we not solo nor molo anything past valley in VoA, we have issues surviving much of anything. For all effective purposes we're no better off that cloth classes when it comes to getting hit. My 92 necro can kill 3-4 mobs at a time my rogue can't do 1 at a time with a j5 healer merc.
  9. Booger Elder

as a rouge I accept that I am not a tank and we do not need any more mitigation to be able to solo. that is just silly. I mean come on now are we seriously asking to be able to solo ? I molo just fine all the time there are things I cant but that is fine if I wanted to solo stuff I would have made a necro or mage. if the changes go in we will be able to molo even better with being able to assanate higher lvl mobs.
  10. Harabakc Augur

Booger, what level are you? What mobs past VoA are you able to tank to be able to molo?
    Gloomfall likes this.
  11. Norathorr Augur

In todays EQ culture of tasks and boxing, you do need a certain degree of independence. Alot of box crews tend to not want to let other people in and tasks are horribly boring so once you have done them you are not likely to want to do them again apart from the group instances. If you are playing catch up or do not have a solid regular group you are in trouble. Also in raids berserkers certainly are in the firing line any time a tank goes down (Probably rogues too) and our utterly woeful ability to take hits is really letting us down. A medium armored class should not be so fragile. What is the point of all the ac and hp on our gear if it counts for nothing?
  12. Booger Elder

im lvl 99 WE are NOT TANKS we shouldn't be able to run around and solo/molo current content. I have no problems with that . trying to ask for silly stuff like that is just plain bonkers . we should as in all pure melee be asking for ways to better deal with AE ramp and DS dmg that has gotten way out of hand not asking for devs to turn us into a tank class.
  13. Ragnard Elder

So how many hits are you expecting to take against a raid boss? It's intended that you keep tanks as the top few on agro list or suffer the consequences of all your DPS getting wiped out when the tank dies.
  14. Norathorr Augur

Not getting wiped out by a round of AE ramp would be nice!
  15. Ragnard Elder

The post I quoted had not a single mention of AE ramp - you said when the tank dies, that you're on the firing line. So which is it? You want to tank the mob when it aggros you after a tank dies or you're actually only worried about AE ramp? Those are separate discussions and I agree that a single AE ramp landing shouldn't kill you every time unless RNG isn't in your favor, but I disagree that you should be able to take the focus of a raid boss when not using an invuln ability.
  16. Norathorr Augur

Well given that some mobs are AE ramping at full damage the difference is irrelevant. Back in the day I was able to survive a few rounds by a raid mob. If it hit for full I would die. It would be nice to have a chance to survive a round if a mob turns on me or from horrible AE ramp. I do not want to be able to take a sustained focus from a raid mob, but I find it irritating that things hit for maximum so much especially when I traditionally do not sacrifice ac when gearing for this reason. My point remains that gearing for mitigation does not seem to actually help mitigation anymore. I know I am not a tank and thus gearing for mitigation will not make me one, but a dead zerker that needs to go through end recovery and rez effects is alot more dps than a live one with a few more heroic str.

And to add the raids I was able to survive a hit or two were overall alot more difficult than todays raids. Making a class that is likey to get hit completely pointlessly fragile is not making the game more difficult, it is just frustrating. Silkies can even block yet berserkers - a medium armored pure melee (aka no means of doing meaningful range damage) has not even got that in their arsenal.
    Gloomfall likes this.
  17. Booger Elder

this can be said about any class other then the 3 tank classes if raid mob turn on you its pretty much a death sentence un less you get lucky with a fade/fd/other agro droping tools instead of asking for dev to make rogues and zerkers " tank " better why not everyone get on the same page and lets address the " REAL " problem of the out of control inflation of ae ramp and the insta kill dmg shields .
  18. Ragnard Elder

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Let's decrease the damage of the AE rampages and damage shields so they aren't a sure death sentence. A perfect roll or being too slow to react should still be a death sentence, but you guys are saying it's instant death every single time which doesn't sound reasonable.
  19. Norathorr Augur

The other point was that when I made a berserker back in GoD it was advertised as a class with a knight hp pool wearing chain armor that sacrifices defense as it does more damage. This to me sounded perfectly reasonable. In my non berserk state I was a lighter armored warrior still not wearing leather or cloth, but chain which statistically is the second most sturdy armor group in the game. All signs pointed to the fact that the berserker was not afraid to take some hits in battle, if not actually encouraging sacrificing personal safety. For many years I enjoyed playing a class that did exactly this. When I found myself tanking in the absense of one in an exp group I would not use my discs that hurt or weakened me, rather saving end for stun and snare for aggro. Sure I ran out of end fast, but I could take a hit here and there. Now I find myself getting destroyed in mid tier raid gear in content in the entry zone of an expansion that came out after the one I left EQ in. Something is not right when you have a chain armored class be it berserker or rogue who get destroyed by solo tasks mobs in an entry level zone having the defense aa maxed out from the previous expansion. I can understand things getting harder as the expansion progresses and needing gear upgrades and new aa to compensate for mob difficulty, but at the moment we berserkers and rogues are reduced to getting flattened by any DB con mob even with a merc. I really dread to think what it is like for group geared rogues and berserkers. If I do not return to raiding full time I may get a chance to find out!
  20. Harabakc Augur

This would be kind of obvious as to why you're not getting it. Increasing the level of assassinate does NOTHING for our moloing ability. We cannot take hits from mobs to be able to assassinate them to death in the first place. Alarans in SL(the entry zone to 2 expansions ago) have 1.2-1.8 MILLION hit points. That would take 5-6 assassinates to kill, we cannot survive for 2 1/2 minutes to kill them. The situation in VoA(3 expansions old) is no better.

We are literally no better off than cloth casters. Last night on Aaryonar at max range I took 372000 damage in wild ramp. The other rogue took 443000 in wild ramp. We both died more than once. I was buffed over 90k hp and the other rogue was over 100k hp. That is stupid.
    Norathorr likes this.