Selo or Mangler 11th hour question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vylo, Mar 15, 2019.

1. vylo Augur

I'm really leaning towards Selo, as a whirlwind tour of the expansions I missed would be nice, but starting luclin has irked me and more than that, the crazy AA requirements with sub-live exp have made me question playing there. Honestly the increased rares are the main thing tipping the scale (I mainly plan on grouping, and have an alt addiction). I suppose if it didn't work out I could jump on the mangler train late, but that seems a bit awkward a year or so into the game, and likely they may launch new servers. And restarting there says that maybe I should have stuck with Coirnav.

Do I stick to my Selo guns and hope they boost exp later on, or should I consider being mangled? Convince me.
  2. Mestops12 Lorekeeper

There's no reason you just can't move to Mangler later, you ain't missing much in Classic or Kunark anyway

Let me put it this way, you'll probably do in a week on Selo what the Mangler players do in the first 6 months.
    andross77 likes this.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

You said alt addition and grouping are your main drivers.

That is 100% not what Selo is about. The group game will be left in the dust in short order. The entire premise of this server is fast fast fast. You won't have time to fully gear your main, so that right there is a supreme tipoff that alts will fall by the wayside. Less alts is less grouping.

Grouping will further be hurt by the fact that the server is going to be very raid heavy. There will be a NEED to raid more because it's so fast, but also there will be the ability to raid more with double instances.

You will do better on Mangler given that.
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Stagentti Augur

This will never happen outside of the pre-planned boosts at certain xpacs.
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Mangler all the way based on what you stated.
  6. Daimos5 Journeyman

I don't see why so many people say that to you will NEED to raid for Selo. I think there will likely be 2 groups of people on Selo. One group is the people that are raiding a ton and doing content as fast as possible. The second group is the people that are much more casual, want the double named spawns and extra exp and won't necessarily be doing every bit of content of each expansion. Maybe just doing the most interesting or most rewarding portions.

And for the people that say "if you're not going to stay current, roll on a live server." I would, but then I would miss a huge majority of the content that came out over the years. I would rather be 1 or 2 expansions behind than 17
    Ulain and andross77 like this.
  7. Basanoviat New Member

I have played 4 TLP servers in the past. The expansion release is too slow and I end up leaving for a new TLP every time. It sucks. Selo’s is going to be great because I will actually be able to get past Planes of Power in a TLP server and play all the later expansions I never had a chance to. The expansion releases are not going to include the smaller expansions, so legacy of Yak has its own month release date as opposed to current TLP that lump those in with others. It will be a great pace I think. Always something new to explore.
    andross77 likes this.
  8. Kloodge Elder

I don't raid, and I'm playing on Selos. You can safely ignore the opinion of the raiding crowd if raiding is not your thing, since "keeping up" means something different to them than to the groupers.

Groupers will be there. It should not be hard to get 5 levels and the relative handful of AAs you'd need to group every month. If you fall too far behind, or the other groupers disappear, it'll be easy to catch up on Mangler down the road.
    Praetorian1 and andross77 like this.
  9. a_librarian Augur

The devs reversed the decision to give Ykesha its own month on Selo.
  10. Protagonist Tank

Do you plan to stay and play long term? If no, go Selo.

If yes: Will you enjoy grinding out thousands of AAs, raid key requirements, then the active raid in 30 days or less, every month, with the same XP as normal live servers? If yes, go Selo.

If no: Do you mind playing behind the curve on active content and doing things at your own pace? If no, go FV.

If yes: Go Mangler.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

The thing is, even if Selos ends up a crapshow and dies off quickly, you are only missing parts of classic and maybe kunark on Mangler? To me that's just a blessing in disguise.

Though I don't think I could ever do 6 months of PoP on a server again, even slayer achievements don't take that long.
  12. Brovaar Elder

13. Quigly Journeyman

Looking at some of the answers get me asking myself if a casual player who is a parent that doesnt log on every single say for atleast a few hours would enjoy selo's still. I definitely want to experience all of the expansions but would it seem to be going "too fast" to enjoy?
  14. Mrjon3s Augur

Here is how I imagine Selos going. Racing guilds are gonna be raiding everyday probably multiple places in the first month. You have NToV, SSRA, Kael, Seru, VT as the big stuff all on a 3.25 day lock out. What this means is those guilds are gonna be steam rolling over the casuals in the grouping spots to get AAs and whatever else they want done. I dont understand how you expect to be able to log in 2 or 3 times a week and do anything on this server. If you want to experience all the expansions I would suggest going on a server like FV and finding a guild that is content locking themselves and playing with them.
  15. vylo Augur

I will likely not be keying or raiding much. Even if it was a 3 month lockout, the likelyhood of me bothering with keys is low. Frankly having keying is stupid, especially on a TLP, and for some of them (VT key) it creates insanely toxic behavior.
  16. Plowwed New Member

I feel better still not knowing what class I’m going to play when people still don’t have their server figured out
    Fallfyres likes this.
  17. Daimos New Member

This same argument showing all the raid zones also demonstrates the number of acceptable leveling zones. And with I standing leveling zones, I seriously doubt this will be an issue
  18. Basanoviat New Member

Ask yourself, why did I leave the last TLP to move to these new servers? Was the release of expansions too slow? New servers seemed more fun? This round getting to play many expansions is going to be fun with the Selo’s server. In 3-6 months Daybreak is going to release ANOTHER set of TLP servers you are going to switch to anyway. You might as well play a fast paced server so you will feel more accomplished when you move to the new TLPs.
  19. vylo Augur

This is the feeling I've been running with. I really just wish they would go nuts with the exp starting with TSS, its gonna be a brutal run, but like you said, probably a new TLP then, and if not, Mangler should be easy to catch up on.