(Selo) Is including a chanter in a 4 box a mistake?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hinastorm86, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Hinastorm86 Augur

I'll be trying to 4 box on selo, I don't have any more physical room to run any more than that.

I'm still debating on my exact setup, but weather a chanter is in it or not is a big factor. Obviously having a chanter early on in selo will be a big advantage, but by the time OOW hits, a chanter seems like it may be a waste of a slot by then.

And then i'll have to level/aa/gear something else, which i'd rather avoid. Especially if they don't change the current slow AA rate im hearing about.

Any thoughts.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

If you set up your team right leveling a new toon is ridiculously easy once you get to OOW and beyond.

But enchanters are still incredibly useful in that era, they just arent broken OP useful, and If nothing else are great for PLing whatever you roll to replace the chanter if that's the choice you make.
  3. Delora Journeyman

I guess it kinda depends on what the rest of your group comp is gonna look like. Though my advice would be to plan for the long-term. Selos is going to move through the prime enchanter expansions faster than ever before. You can take advantage of it now and then later on PL a new character to replace it using your high level characters (swapping it to a bard would make a lot of sense). If you're not keen on swapping it down-the-road then I'd choose a different class to box.
  4. Hinastorm86 Augur

Can a SK or a Pal keep aggro off a charm pet reliably? At 60-65. If not, having a tank in a 4 box setup with a chanter seems like a waste.
  5. Hinastorm86 Augur

Kinda have it down to pal/shm/monk/wiz or sk/cleric/chanter/wiz.....im basically at the point of flipping a coin, I can't decide.

My main worrys are that without a chanter in tow, i'll constantly need to buy mana regen pots on the store for awhile, untill people start crafting mana pots. Also, once charm is not worth it anymore (oow?) My dps is gonna PLUMMET in that second setup. I'd have to level/gear/aa something else, or live with the bad dps.

Seems like im choosing between early power, or later power. Obviously the second setup is stronger as long as charm is busted op.
  6. Took2summmit Elder

I think youd be doing yourself a disservice 4 boxing and not having a bard. Aside from being able to split up any difficult camp, their /melody alone is very beneficial. Do not under estimate the clicks per minute needed for a 4 box. And a bard cuts this down. Personally I'd probably go with shm/war/bard and 4th slot be monk/rogue/zerk based on preference (zerk is the min/max favorite, but youd obviously have to wait til its released, I'd go with monk)

War is probably the best sustained dps out of the 3 tanks, and will require the least clicks per minute.

Edit: I'm sure you know this, but auto follow makes positioned melee very easy. You should have everyone auto follow on your war. Once you position your war. Your melee will automatically be perfectly positioned on the mobs back.
  7. Chaosflux Augur

Ench DOT revamp, charm, combined with Manaflare on the SK and Wiz

Nah dude you gunna be alright. Theres a couple lulls in there for all those classes depending on how long you plan on playing. Like wizards are utter garbage sustained for most of 1 thru 70 compared to other classes.

O and even after OOW charm nerf, your charm pets still do as much DPS as a group geared melee so it's hardly as bad as you think. I played a chanter on Quarm server and it really wasnt that bad when combined with Strangle dots and the overall benefits of being able to mez blur and basically move around with impunity and completely control any size pull.

Chanters are even up to current EQ one of the stronger classes.
  8. Chaosflux Augur

O I didnt see the other Paladin related team. Pal/Sham/monk is a trio I played (sometimes nec Instead of monk) from POP to Underfoot.

The weak link there is Shaman healing will make Solteris Access quests hard, and Crystallos stuff moar difficult. Some DODH spell missions will also be rough.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

I have two different 5-box crews (the SK and Bard stay the same, but the other 3 vary). One of my boxes is either a chanter or a shaman, depending on circumstances. As someone else mentioned, it will be easy to level up a new character later on. I'd go with the enchanter and then switch him out later if you find you need something different.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

It doesn't matter.
  11. AgentofChange Augur

It'll be a mistake in a few months but for now is fine.