Selo and Mangler Progression Servers - Coming March 16, 2019!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kruggan_Darkblood Lorekeeper

This is exactly what I would love. I could see me playing this for 5 years.
  2. Jadefox Augur

And Here Lies Narksar
    He Waited for Eternity
    Eternity Arrived
    R.I.P.

--Etcher Jade
    Nightmares and narksar like this.
  3. Stewgottz Augur

Guys we need to stop pretending a server with AOCs and /pick are going to be overrun with these box armies that everyone is so afraid of. It won't. Yeah you'll see 'em. Sure, off hours, some place like Cyclops island, sure they'll be out for a few hours. But we need to stop making the devs believe that box armies are an issue.

What were the issues that caused Phinny's creation?

Nothing to raid: AOCs created
    No places to XP: /pick was created

Someone boxing an entire raid is not going to occupy entire group xp zones. I know this because
    Ragefire did not have this issue. They had the issue of nothing for their players to do. They fixed it.

The worst part of it for me as a long time player and one who boxes, is everyone who asked for truebox truly has zero interest in this game when it gets past a certain point. Typically this point is far enough into the server that the population is down and having to truebox to fill in for players who abandoned the server is going to be more hassle than its worth. I hope you have plans to merge phinny and coirnav and selo because those servers are going to be very empty when they hit live. And it will be empty because of the content, not because of someone boxing.

DBG, make one of the new TLP truebox so you hit your sales budget but remember, if the goal of these servers is truly to progress to Live, please consider the health of a server and what its needs would be in later expansions, especially if we are going to have new ones every single year now. If reaching live is not a goal, then let us know so we don't roll on them with the intent to get there.
  4. Jadefox Augur

Who is this we, YOU speak of, chief?

--Curious Jade
  5. Stewgottz Augur

They read the forums. WE means me, you, and every other backseat driver who posts on these forums. People suggest stupid things they might come true. Like a truebox server Lol.
  6. Koshk Augur

Why just off hours? Is there some reason we won't see box armies during peak hours?

Why only out a few hours? Why not the whole night? Do boxers have some kind of sleep disorder, where they can't stay up too late?

Why not? I've seen this happen on Coirnav (Truebox). Box/botted armies that run rampant through zones like Velk's, killing most of the zone. It happens.

So why won't this happen on a server without box rules? Certainly seems like something people would do. Probably a pretty great way to accumulate XP, or farm loot.

Really...everyone who asked, huh?

My point is this. It would be helpful if we're all more careful with our writing. We're passionate about EQ. But this can lead to exaggeration, listing thoughts as "facts" or "truths."

Boxing can sometimes be awesome, fun, and harmless.
    Boxing can also sometimes be disruptive, rude, and selfish.

I don't know if Truebox helped or not. I have no statistics or proof, either way. But I understand why it was added. To prevent and/or discourage some of that bad behavior. I guess you have to weigh the potential benefit of Truebox, against the potential harm of allowing unlimited boxing. Lately, DBG has been leaning more toward caution, it seems. That's their prerogative.
    Nightmares and Sethiroth like this.
  7. Stewgottz Augur

Fact is, that's a fun word right? Using real in game experience, people who box mass amounts of toons know people hate them and tend to stay away. They can go roll up on rathe mtns or seb middle of the day but they'd be trained. Seen it happen, in game.

Truebox helped control macidoodledoo quest, now it doesn't even do that. That was the one and only redeeming quality, in my opinion.

My post was a bit sassy. Fact remains, the only way the game made it through those expansions in the middle was because we (me and friends) could box to supplement the reduced population. Now on a truebox server that's not going to happen. QoL issue for myself.

Phinny has a low population compared to what it was. That's a fact. And its because these expansions aren't super popular. Another Fact.

Trueboxing CoTF missions is going to be super annoying if anyone's even on that server still. Fact, it was annoying to box em regularly. (Antonious Mission, bleh)

I'm not sure what the point of your post was except to be argumentative. I get triggered when people suggest rules that affect a server they won't be a part of for more than 9 months? Maybe stay for PoP?

Truebox adds nothing to a server after the first 4 expansions... there are 21 of them or however many.
  8. Vorkosh Journeyman

already tuesday night with no word, the servers are staying the same

typical DBG take it or leave it
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Ahzek likes this.
  10. Yonson Lorekeeper

I don't mean to be rude but if you don't want to group why play an mmo in the first place? There are tons of decent co-op fantasy rpg's. Grouping with randoms and making new friends is what the game is about but if you want to just exclusively play with your husband you can have that experience without truebox right now on the test server - not sure why you need a TLP to play on your own.
  11. Damagebait New Member

Sounds like someone with a business degree made these decisitions, not someone who plays the game. Double the release timers and you have long term retention. But how is racing to keep up with the expantions on Selo considered causal? Mangler expantion releases changed to 4 or 6 months would be a nice mix of hardcore and casual players (like the original game was intended). Big swing and miss on their part. Maybe they will get it right by the time Pantheon goes live...
    Brunlin likes this.
  12. Brunlin Augur

Mangler to Agnaar xp, and Mangler would give Selos a run for its money when it comes to population.
  13. Chalkstix Journeyman

I would play on a server that started in Kunark (I like classic, just think it gets a little repetitive and tedious fairly quickly)
    - 2 months in Kunark
    - 1 week with Velious (I just don't really like the Velious expansion)
    - 3 months in Luclin (I like Luclin and I still haven't explored it entirely)
    - 6 months in PoP (probably my favourite expansion)
    - 1 month LDON
    - 4 months Gates of Discord (haven't played much of GoD but would like to check it out)
    - Omens of War - LOCKED - (because since Luclin and PoP, epic 1.0 is a bit /meh, so a server where epic 2.0 would still be a top tier item would be interesting in my opinion)

I recognize that people have individual opinions about what the best expansion is to land on, but on Agnarr we're already experiencing that most of the group content is level 40+.
    If a server goes beyond Omens of War, it would make sense to give players a choice to start on level 50 - it seems like all the "steadies" on the server are powerleveling their alt characters to level 50 anyway, making it a somewhat lonely and perhaps even rough experience to be a new player on such a server. As for starting gear, it could either just be the normal starting gear or a full set of the "low level" class armor that was introduced in Legacy of Ykesha I believe.

As for boxing, I personally wouldn't play on a server that wasn't truebox or something like it.
  14. Gremin Augur

Problem with OoW locked is OoW really does not have a lot of content. Sure, it has 1.5/2.0s and raids in CoA plus a few outlier raids but otherwise its boring AF. I know this because my guild DHS just spent 6 months in it doing split raids. If you are going to lock at 70 why not just add all the expansions with level 70 content which means up to and including PoR(A crappy expansion, worse one imo).
  15. Jadefox Augur

Playing in a realm of 100's of others is not the same as playing directly WITH 100's of others.

I may go to a restaurant by myself.
    I prefer a place that already has people in it, because if empty and desolate, it's not an enjoyable experience. What I don't need (though they are welcome to join) is a table full of friends to enjoy the meal experience. I just need a good meal, a good book, and a nice lived-in atmosphere.

I don't need to engage to enjoy.

Hope that helps you understand the mind of an introvert a bit.

--Helpful Jade
    Nightmares likes this.
  16. Jadefox Augur

Honestly, I'm not sure that anyone at DBG actually plays their own games...

--Speculative Jade
  17. Junck Journeyman

How about 3 servers?

Hardcore: Fast unlocks (1 month), slower xp, truebox, no AoC, tougher raid bosses, let's see how good you really are.

Casual: Slow unlocks (3-6 months), faster xp, truebox, AoC, easier raid bosses, mercs from day 1.

Open: Moderate unlocks (2-3 months), medium xp, AoC, low trigger pick zones (so box armies can't monopolize a zone), normal raid bosses, non-truebox, no kronos. Btw, this is where I would play.
  18. xmPradah Not a dude

I don't think you're being rude, and I have an answer that will hopefully satisfy you. I've played other games. I don't like them. I don't like the content, community, atmosphere. I don't want to learn something new. To be clear, I'm not anti-social... I just don't have time like I did 20 years ago to LOOK for a group, to HOPE some friends are on to go to PoSky with me, or to find a guild that is ok with my playtimes (or lack thereof). With my husband and my friend, we are all on the same page, have similar play times, and can truly knock out some content with just the 3 of us... and we aren't even boxing like what is being portrayed here. We each box 2-4 characters each, depending on who's playing and the group we've put together.

I'd be willing to help others if I see someone ask in General. Hell, I'd maybe even let them join my group if I saw someone looking... I'm just not wanting to be the one searching for others to play with. I've done that grind, I don't want to do it again.

I had plenty of friends (some I still have, one I married) from my original days in EQ. They were amazing times... but I'm not going to kid myself into thinking I can fully relive those times. The player base is different, the game has changed, and I have grown up and have sturdy responsibilities in life.

Bottom line, I enjoy this game. I'd like to combine that enjoyment with getting as close to a true classic experience as I can... I just know I can't do it with one character. My playtimes are so random that I wouldn't make friends in the first place, and certainly couldn't keep up with them. Boxing is just a better, and more enjoyable, option for me.
    Nightmares likes this.
  19. zerggman New Member

Can anyone say WHEN, at what time the servers will open on the 16th of march?
  20. xmPradah Not a dude

12PM, Pacific
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.