Selling items for Kronos doesnt make sense to me.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Apr 4, 2019.

1. FluttyMan Elder

Kronos have been around for years now here is no going back imo.

What doesn't make sense is that people can start on the server with nothing, while others can import their account's Kronos. It just creates inegalities between the players.
    On day one on Mangler some people were offering 1 krono for a banded set, that's 75p...

After 2 weeks there the Krono demand seem way higher than the Krono supply. Krono price rose to 1.5K plat in under a week, that's higher and faster than any other TLP. Let's see how it evolves...
    samner likes this.
  2. Coder Joe Journeyman

We have definitely crossed the Rubicon on Krono so I just try to ignore it.

But yes it is pretty annoying coming back to play a TPL and seeing things like "WTS FBSS 2KR". Which to me reads "WTS FBSS $35.00".
    Fallfyres and TheChosenOne like this.
  3. code-zero Augur

From the very beginning there was huge inequity in the economy and I don't think it took more than a week for that to occur. People with a large bank of Krono that they obtained from farming and trading spent a lot of time farming and trading to obtain those Krono. They had the time to do that where the person who bought a block of 5 from Daybreak decided that their play time was better spent not sitting in a tradeskills camp or whatever
  4. Christopher84 Journeyman

Right, this is how I've always looked at it. I don't mind investing time in camps, after all that's all part of the EQ experience for me but at the end of the day I don't have time to camp 1 item for hours on end, nor do I have the patience to compete with box groups or other players who refuse to respect camps. Spending 1Kr on an item like GEBs makes the most sense given the current situation on Mangler.
  5. samner New Member

Of course the pp value of Kronos increases rapidly on a new server. The first day 100pp is hard to come by for your "average" player. Two weeks in and most people have at least one char that can get 100pp an evening.....and if your goal is pp farming you can easily get several times that in just one evening. Massive inflation is to be expected early in the life of a server.
  6. taliefer Augur

thats the problem. you cant think of it that way. i used to as well. now i just look at it as whatever the plat value of 2 krono would be.

i cant stress how much my view of krono changed once i stopped thinking about them as coming from DBG for 18 bucks. you get krono by trading plat for them. let some other shmuck fork over the 18 dollars. then its just like a savings account for your plat with a stupidly high interest rate
    Ishbu likes this.
  7. Ishbu Augur

This is just the wrong way to look at it. Very few people are selling krono for cold hard cash.

Go farm your plat and/or items to sell. Amass plat and buy a krono, use that krono to buy the gear you want but cant obtain.

Krono is purely a bond that can be immediately cashed in
  8. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Krono price inflation was about the same it always is roughly for the 1st week.
    • Agnarr
      • after 7 days 1150p per krono
    • Mangler
      • after 7 days 1050p per krono
    I've spent very little time playing the EC tunnel since I can't spend the krono I already have but I'd say this server is seeing items lose value quite faster and we have more krono in total supply moving around.
  9. KronoKing Elder

What your detailed theory didnt include was this: the education of the buyer.

The veteran TLP farmers know the patterns of item costs and krono costs during each expansion. Your average joe buying krono from DBG (yes they still exist) is busy at work and doesnt sit around watching prices all day like a farmer might. Sure theres the online auction site that "records" what people's accounts say, and there are also people with 3+ commonlands accounts abusing what it "records" in /auc as well to drive up or down prices. These are the same people that have multiple /buyer in the bazaar on TLP as well.

So while you, an educated and observant person with time on their hands, would see someone selling an ODS for 8 krono in classic and think thats absurd! Others say well the website says it goes for this, and its been selling for that price for days, I need it to raid in my guild let's buy it. This person doesnt know how fast these items decay or doesnt care, tomorrow it could sell for 7kr, depending on the seller and his stock.

Basically from my experience, theres the true price of an item and the "price" of an item. Those of you with time and wits know the true price, and those of you that dont take the time to research the market are the ones paying the "price" of an item. What a seller asks for is usually higher than what he'll take. If he hasnt gotten offers all day on one item, he'll still ask the same price, while accepting lower than usual private message bids. So in this case the true price is maybe 5kr for an ODS while you still have people paying the "price" of 8kr because thats what they see on the website/ingame but dont know how long the seller has been auctioning that item as well.

Another thing I've noticed is each TLP there are more buyers trying to barter down prices than there were before. This would help drive prices down. You've got sellers that are in a hurry to sell high value items and undercut other sellers. People talk and hear so and so bought this high value item for this many krono from random101 seller - so thats what im going to offer you, take it or leave it. Yes this happens.

Once bazaar comes out this uneducated buyer situation goes away for the most part, as items are constantly being displayed for sale allowing the buyer to compare prices, unless its a super rare item that may have 1 or 2 sellers. Although it really moves into the buying krono scene in bazaar, where you have people with multiple bazaar mules manipulating /auction krono and /barter krono and /seller krono, where you need to watch the prices and get an idea of what times of day they go up and which characters tend to push prices up. Many people save 500k-1mil plat before luclin launches so they can manipulate prices. It's also been apparent more and more each server.
  10. Elyani Augur

Lol. I dunno. I have a weird mind and whenever I see an item for sale in-game or IRL my mind always sort of reverts to this sort of thinking naturally. A handbag that costs $300?? That's 2 weeks of groceries! An item in-game that costs 3 kronos? that's 3 months of game play! Maybe it's because I was broke AF in my early 20s racking up that college debt and that line of thinking never went away. I don't know!

I buy kronos when I can. If I have extra plat or an item drops and I don't need it... I'll sell it for a krono. But, I use the krono on my account. I don't buy anything FOR kronos. No thanks!

But for those who don't adhere to my style of krono usage, kronos are an amazing thing. Krono is the Gold of EQ.
    raylone likes this.
  11. Robomax Elder

The Greedy peeps on Items it what sets Krono High. If Peeps are selling items more than what they are worth the Price of Korno will go up.(be worth more Platt) if peeps would actually sell Items at a reasonable price then Krono would not go sky high so fast. The price for pervious expac items will go down to normal or even below average. This is why korno farmers only wanted a classic only server . People broker krono to 3rd parties. Which is as far as I know is against the ELUA? but DB doesn't seem to mine because you can find their web sites just by Googling EverQuest Krono. Wich seems little iffy? In games Items even Korno cannot have a real world money value because it would be considered alternate currency? this is what happen to CCP with PLEX and CCP had to start going after sites that were brokering PLEX, If Not CCP would have had to register PLEX as a currency with the World Bank and other countries and comply with Currency Trade laws with in other countries.
    Kornos end use is for 30 days of Game time. Some players have time farm some players don't so the purchase Krono from DB and then exchange it for Platt in game. And the People who play altot basically play through Krono instead of a Subscription Account. The RL brooking is the issue I see here.
  12. Robomax Elder

Since its account Based (Korno) Platt is Server based. Trade Krono on TLP for 2k Then trade it on live server for 2.5 mil. that's one Issue . The game needs a REDUX -We all start over on one Server. Not a TLP but everything Active and unlocked. Re-balance of things that were added. Spells ,Zones QoL things. Zones would be locked out , Player would have to be that level or flagged. You couldn't zone into Great Divide until 30 and would need a key to Velks . Spells that were added at lower level would be unlocked even from different xpac because they would already be unlocked and redundant spells taken out. That sort of thing. That way the Economy and population is on 1 server. Lots of room with all the expacs unlocked and there is always instancing.
  13. raylone New Member

it's a good mind set and will help you later in life but when you have money to spare lot things in life you can dismiss the cost if they are under a certain number. for instance after bills, saving, etc, i have $300 minimum a month i can spend and never think twice about it.

so spending up to 50-$75 on one thing a month EQ in this case is no big deal. i don't but i can and other with cash to spare face the same truth, so a random $20 for krono or bags/potions that help to cut out a grind or get shiny new toy in a game that make you happy is no big deal.
  14. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

The real issue in the OP is that Krono is a discrete unit whose value is much larger than the Platinum value it represents. So, a SSoY may be worth 1 Krono now, but in a month when 1 Krono is worth 4k plat (or whatever) instead of 2k plat, as inflation goes, an SSoY is not necessarily going to be worth 4k plat as well, so the denomination will have to change. 2 SSoY for 1 Krono? 1 SSoY + 2k plat for 1 Krono? There will be some elasticity in the value of a Krono in between these order of magnitude leaps in its value, but you will most likely start to see plat and items offered together for single units of Krono when the value becomes significantly different from what it used to be.

Alternately, it could possibly provide stability to the item:plat economy for longer periods as inflation of plat/deflation of item value becomes difficult to calculate and follow when compared to the value of a single Krono.
  15. Domniatric Augur

Over time, Krono will always go up in plat value on a server. Over time, any given item is likely to go down in plat value (exceptions being items you can no longer farm ei. circlet of shadows or other pre-nerf items). Krono are a long term investment when you have more plat than you currently need.
  16. Dabrixmgp Augur

I dont even know how people get that many Kronos in the first place. A few years ago I sold off all the gear on my FV Mage back when CotF was current. It was full tier 4 raid gear and at most I was able to scrounge up like 10 kronos. Now you have items in classic going for that much. How the hell do people legitimately make that much Kronos? I have 2 level 50s on Mangler and I have 2000 plat between them. I cant even afford the resist gear I need for Dragon Raids.
  17. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Well the difference is a Krono going for over 2 million plat on a Live server and around 2k plat on a new TLP server. It is much easier to farm the plat to buy Krono on the latter if you know what you're doing and can get in early -- even doing everything legitimately.
  18. malaki Augur

This is true generally, but during eras with heavy plat sinks Krono actually go down in price for awhile.
  19. Fluid Augur

Watch this movie 'Treasure of Sierra Madre' clip. The clip is about 3 minutes and explains everything about economics including those in EQ.

I did the quest for pp on Agnaar when it was new just seeing if I was competitive. I think I got my character up to ~4000 pp when that was about what a Krono was selling for. A couple of weeks later a Krono was ~30k so I spent a week making pp to get that just to see. I'm not sure why I did this, just wanted to see if I could make enough pp in game to pay for my habit I think.

But then I took some time off and the things I was doing to raise cash were only viable until the first expansion/progression hit. I'm just not interested in spending my game time in search of pp or selling pp for Krono. This is also one of the reasons why Krono maintain their value, fewer people around that know how it's done that are willing to do it. It is why Kronos sell, fewer people that want to spend the time mining their own pp or camping or questing. Having done it once to see if I could, I ain't going back! :)
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I played the EC tunnel on RF, a little on LJ and on Phinny, Agnaar
    I played the bazaar on Phinny & Agnaar

I usually bought and sold anything from low level stuff, krono to high end raid items from desperate raiders. You'd be surprised how many "offers" people accept for high end loot that I can turn around.

Then you could play the krono buying and selling game which actually is the biggest yield if you know where to expect the spikes.

Here is one example of krono price fluctuation that occurs:

During Velious krono will top out at (x) price, you merely have to spot the trend as the price is usually a little different from server to server.

Come Luclin the price will continue to move downwards due to the /bazaar having a price war and the amount of folks wanting to buying items such as mounts with plat increases....

Then you just wait to some price you feel is acceptable to start mass buying at a slow pace as not to push the price up fast.

This type of krono speculation is really dependent on having a lot of krono to begin with.

For example selling 500 krono in velious for a average price of 8300ish and rebuying 500 krono during luclin 1st 2 weeks at around 5,700p avg and you can see how much gain is available for a mass buyer.