seeing annoying cursor "flickering"

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xanadas, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Xanadas Augur

Please watch this video. About every 5-6 seconds, the cursor will flicker with the hourglass icon.

Very irritating. For me, this started today, but I've heard others talking about the same thing and they said it started about a week ago for them.

http://destef.dyndns.org/.media/flicker.wmv
  2. Klang Lorekeeper

I'm seeing the flickering as well. It has started happening in the last few days. That seems to be the system is busy cursor - on Window 7. I do use [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software].

One curious thought - is this related to the new welcome screen?
  3. Elizabeta Augur

I noticed this last week and thought it was some annoying problem from the last windows update/patch. From hearing other people saying they have the same problem it leads me to believe it is EQ and that annoying new Welcome screen (and whatever conspiracy theory spy activity it is doing).
  4. Ribeye Journeyman

I am experiencing the exact same problem with the flickering cursor. It seems to have something to do with the "Welcome to Everquest" pop-up screen when entering the world. If the "Welcome to Everquest" window does not show up then I have no flickering cursor problems but if the window does pop-up then I get these problems, even after closing the window, log to another character, character select screen, the flickering is still there. This all started a few days ago.

Is there a way to prevent the "Welcome to Everquest" pop-up window from loading when entering the world untill this gets fixed?
  5. Feradach Augur

6. Feradach Augur

I just modified the [News] section in my eqclient.ini file setting Automatic to 0 instead of 1. Logged in two different accounts, and neither popped up that annoying window. Not sure if that's the correct setting or not, but it's got promise.
  7. Frostting OnTheFV New Member

i have been having this issue as well
    today it did not happen and after reading people thinking it is the welcome screen i decided to check
    i opened the new welcome screen got the flicker then after about 2 minutes hit evac then i had a client crash
  8. Elizabeta Augur

Mine is Automatic=0 but the window still pops up :(
  9. Elricvonclief Augur

I'm seeing the same cursor flickering, with windows 7 playing full screen.
  10. Warpeace Augur

This also comes with a huge amount of lag when first logging in. Extremely annoying!!
  11. Kelefane Augur

Yep, I am getting this too, along with many many others. Please fix this annoying stupid issue.

Also, look into the latency issues in the GGH too.
  12. Gr8fuldave Augur

I Am Having The Same issue
  13. Ribeye Journeyman

Solution:

It appears that the flickering / busy cursor is connected to the opening page of the "Welcome to Everquest" window, the page that has the constantly side scrolling "news" announcements (similar to the patch window actually.)

First, let the "Welcome to Everquest" window fully load up.
    Second, select a different page in that window, i picked "Game Information", anything really as long as you get rid of the side scrolling news page.
    Third, close "Welcome to Everquest" window and the flickering / busy cursor should be GONE.

Also, it appears the window only pops up once a day.
  14. Kelefane Augur

We need a response to this issue asap. Its highly annoying.
  15. KC13 Augur

Same here, and I have had the flickering cursor for days now. Windows XP here. I wonder if it's all the news info being posted regarding SOE live......
  16. Eomund New Member

I can confirm that the above fix is functioning. The side-scrolling window in the welcome screen seems to be responsible for the hourglass effect. If you click game info like Riebye says, and let it fully load, then close the Welcome screen, it will no longer display an hourglass.
  17. silku Augur

Couldn't we just have a checkbox to show or not show this window at all? Give us a button on the EQ thing to bring it up when we want it. I know most of us just close it anyway.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Tobynn Augur

Wouldn't count on that happening, ever. It is an advertising window and therefore not going anywhere. You'll suffer through that horrific billboard of outdated communications regardless of how detrimental it is to your gaming experience. Advertising >>>>>>>>> gameplay.
  19. Ribeye Journeyman

Well, waiting for the window to load up doesn't work all the time i guess, today the "Welcome to Evewrquest" window went totally blank then crashed to desktop. I'm sure the developers are getting a huge laugh out of all this though.
  20. Lighteningrod Augur

As if logging in wasn't cumbersome enough as it were, now we get to do it twice per account every day. Poor, poor, execution.