Scorched Sky 2022

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Angeliana, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

It is time to celebrate the power of fire and flame!

Denizens of Norrath, put on your best gear and check your fear at the door! The new Scorched Sky Celebration has begun and it's time for one and all to celebrate the power of fire and flame where weakness and those faint of heart will surely be tested. Starting in Lavastorm, each of you can speak with a Devotee of Flame to get started and to truly show your own allegiance to Fennin and Solusek Ro.

[IMG]

Three new quests!
    (Available on servers that have reached the Torment of Velious Expansion.)

Seek out Carlene Snizzlefriz, near the Temple of Solusek Ro, in the Lavastorm Mountains. The Devotee of Flame has been investigating the changing composition of the lava. She is working to protect the local wildlife from unintended changes. Being a devoted follower of Solusek Ro, she is curious if the changing lava can be used for creating new pyrotechnics.

New Mission!
    (For players level 100+.)

Keeper Lyne is letting Carlene handle the investigation. She is concerned about protecting her lava snails. If you are interested in helping her protect these shelled gastropods, head to the caves in the north of the Lavastorm Mountains. She can be found near the entrance to the Broodlands.

[IMG]

New Agents and Quests for Overseer!
    The story continues in six new Overseer Quests. Help Char the Brunt and Carlene figure out a mystery plaguing this season of flame.

Scorched Sky Celebration is new for EverQuest and began today. The event ends on July 10, 2022 at 11:00 p.m. PDT. Will you have the temerity to show Fennin and Solusek Ro your true devotion? Will you even make it back home alive?

Be sure to follow us on social media: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
    minimind, Koshk and Hobitses like this.
  2. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

On Ragefire she says: "Hail. The fires have yet to bless this land. You can check back next year to see if the fires will bless your path then."

There must be another criteria besides level 100 and DoN unlocked.
  3. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Which NPC are you talking to please?
  4. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

Thank you for the report. As it turns out, the mission is not available until the Torment of Velious expansion. The news will be amended to reflect this new information. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Metanis Bad Company

1 flippin AA and 1 gold piece for the mission? And a group drop.
    Fenthen and Hobitses like this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

:D
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The new quests and missions are missing the mark by a mile, the same for the new ones they added in Jaggedpine.
    Hobitses and Metanis like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The majority of players appreciate the new content. I have thoroughly enjoyed the recent missions.

To be more constructive than those above, I think the players are hopeful of unique clicks (upgrades to TDS or CoTF clicks), auxiliary gear (charm or specialization aug upgrades), and even illusions (Sarnak Seneschal Mask) for rewards. It may be prudent to open a thread to highlight unique items in game in Veteran Lounge that could be upgraded for quest or mission rewards.
    Hobitses and minimind like this.
  9. Ashigaru Augur

I think the mission is fun - but the rewards don't really make it worthwhile repeating, due to the close similarity to currently available group gear. Bumping up the standard of the drops or adding an aug as bonus loot, or adding unique clicks would increase the attraction.
    Fenthen and Hobitses like this.
  10. Dre. Altoholic

Give me a reward box to choose from type 8 attuneables and these would sell like hotcakes.

Wanna really blow my mind? Consider tuning a mob set for lvl 100-115 versions.
    Hobitses likes this.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Although I'm critical of several aspects of this mission I'm still happy and impressed to see bonus content released for no apparent reason.
    minimind, Nennius and Kalvenie like this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just going by the level of the event mobs in LS, are these quests (not the mission) designed for like level 30-ish toons? Because the levels of the mobs are 25-27 or thereabouts.

As far as the mission goes, we tried it last night. The first snail group was no problem, but when we hit the second one and engaged the aviaks, it was like every other mob in the zone agro'd and we got just utterly swamed by like a dozen mobs or more. We recovered and tried to engage the second group of aviaks again...same thing. Just completely overrun by like 15 other mobs (xtar window completely full). And this time, when we tried to rez/recover (in a safe spot well away from the mission mobs), all of the mobs that had swarmed us immediately got agro and came charging across the zone to kill us again. I would feign on my SK, see the agro drop and the mobs wander off, but as soon as I stood up, they would come running again. There were no dots, poison, or any other spells even cast on these mobs, yet we couldn't shake agro.

Knowing that the chest rewards were basically useless to us, we just gated out, dropped the task and went on to something else.

Pretty weak event from what I can see.
    Fenthen likes this.
  13. Hobs Elder

Yeah these new missions/tasks need to be tweaked for next year. As was discussed in Discord and on here Tempest Festival was way too hard for the level of mobs in an open old world zone and the rewards were even worse for that set than these but at 110-120 these are hardly worth doing let alone repeating when the rewards are so minimal.

I do appreciate new content but it should be rewarding as well as interesting while being feasible for the average player to complete. I think these are interesting but not hitting the mark on the other two things I mentioned.
  14. Velisaris_MS Augur

It almost feels like these were "training" quests for the newer devs to cut their teeth on when it comes to designing content. They don't feel like they were designed by the old fuddyduddies.
    Hobitses likes this.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Interesting. It has been said that new employees have come on board. This would be a way for them to get in the game. In any case, new content is applauded by me, however buggy it may be ATM. And if the bugs get stomped out I will applaud with both hands and loudly.
    Hobitses likes this.
  16. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

[Tue Jun 28 16:59:38 2022] Carlene Snizzlefriz says, 'You can refine the saltpeter by diluting it with two Crude Fire Goblin Water Pods in my special [Mix and Settler].'
    [Tue Jun 28 16:59:40 2022] You say, 'What Mix and Settler?'
    [Tue Jun 28 16:59:40 2022] Carlene Snizzlefriz says, 'Here, take this one. Remember you will need to dilute it with two waters and shake them really good. You should also hunt a few of the [abnormal creatures].'
    [Tue Jun 28 16:59:52 2022] You tell your party, 'Carlene's Mix And Settler she gives me this'
    [Tue Jun 28 16:59:56 2022] You say, 'I will hunt the abnormal creatures.'

GAME CRASH!
  17. Shillingworth Augur

This for sure! Went into the mission with my Lv100 Paladin buffed to the brim. He got smeared all over the ground pretty fast. He's not even light on gear, outside of RoF raids, the only upgrades I'm seeing available for him aren't until lv105; at this point group drops may as well be trash loot in level appropriate content for him. No way that was tuned against an actual Lv100 player, let alone something a bit more average than a Paladin wearing primarily VoA raid gear.
    Dre. and Hobitses like this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Oh my gosh! who was in charge of rewards? 1 aa might been good when aa's first came out since they were so slow but now thats just a slap in the face.
    Hobitses likes this.
  19. Warpeace Augur

I'm not sure what level these were tuned or intended for.

What I have seen in the mission is over buffed mobs or mobs with no buffs that feel as if they were intended. This is not to say the mobs with all the buffs are overly tough, but slow you down if a player does not have the ability to dispell mob buffs or the clickies to do it they can have a tough time. Mob respawns punish lower dps groups and makes me question what the actual intention was.
    Hobitses likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This reminds me of the DS that was on the bandits in the Shar Vahl/Spirit of the Lost mission. It was mandatory to dispell.

I am guessing a 'Skull of Null' or 'Kijarl's Ring of Negation' will be mandatory for gameplay going forward. Dispell is the new 'Essence of the Dragon' AA.

Perhaps, one of the new devs came from a game where dispell is a major function? It's not a bad problem or design choice. It could be an oversight where the buffs weren't calculated into the mobs' overall difficulty.
    Hobitses likes this.