Scent of Terris change...

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Magickon, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Magickon Augur

I was hoping they wouldn't go through with it, that the change to the scent of terris aa would be modified before it went live.

It made no sense to change the aa rank to cast the level 52 spell, especially with 14 ranks of it, but that is exactly what it does.

There's nothing inherently wrong with scent of extinction, although I would think that making the damage increase from it impact poison dots would at least be a small bone to throw us.

I was sortof expecting the AA to be refunded, since a lot of the reason for why the AA was purchased, no longer applies. It no longer reduces magic and corruption resists...

It's not.

Here are my opinions on the aa change:

1: It's terrible. I see no reason why a person would want the scent of terris debuff on a raid target, and even on a solo target, the debuff is so weak it literally won't matter. A person might think, "It's an easy way to apply scent of extinction on a raid target...but they are doing that at a cost of 2 detrimental slots." Just hard cast the spell instead.

2: If you were not aware, scent of extinction increases the amount of damage by disease effects by 382, every time time they take damage. Rank 2 of Mourgis' Decay hits for 1933 at base, with scent of extinction rank 2, it will hit for 2315 every tick. Boring. (and still pretty poor on the dps side) I tested other spells also, disease cloud for example, which only does 1 damage per tick normally, with scent of extinction, it does 383 damage per tick.

I think this means scent of extinction might be a great way to Pl a lower character who has disease based attacks. I'm kidding obviously....Disease are not the best, with and without it. When is the last time you were ever concerned about mana at level 110? Any mana efficiency conversation is bonkers to start with.

3: I seriously think the AA should be refunded. In it's current state, I don't think I would buy it again. I think it's best to just hard cast scent of extinction than to take up 2 slots on the raid target.

I readily admit that I was discounting scent of extinction (even the spell itself) because I did not realize that the damage increase was per tick, I assumed it was over the course of the spell.

[IMG]
  2. sauron3030 Elder

It's worthless to me now, I've only ever used it to debuff for magic.
  3. Rizzin Elder

I was definitely encountering WAY more resits last night (I used to get pretty much none), but I wasn't sure why. While I read the update note, I didn't reconcile it I guess.
  4. ---Xislaben--- Augur

While there are other additions and other issues, looking at just the resist debuffs there's some sad panda here.

So it looks like New AA resist debuffs has FR -36, PR -159, DR -183.
    We lose FR -109, COR -108, and MR -145, which I think it kind of a big deal.

Kinda glad I spent way too much time camping The Lady's Entreaty, but still that's a big loss.
  5. ~Mills~ Augur

Its a massive hit. Just like we saw with fade changes and AA slow at this point I fully expect to see shadowknights get a version of Scent of Terris tuned to what ours was just last month. Just like they kept a better fade despite getting FD after us and kept a better AA slow to undead after ours was gutted despite never having the level 38 spell it was based on. And have or had for a period better group mana and hp returns from passive procs on stuff they spam always. Destroying their parent classes dedicated spell or AA versions returns.

That or a new melee proc belt that procs last months scent of terris to stack with their darkened journeymans walking stick debuff, which anyone but casters are free to use for its benefits. If its an intended nerf its stupid based on what others can debuff proc just by standing there or if its just a change to be remedied by Aristo adding an equivalent spell down the line its stupid implementation and should have waited until Aristos spell version of our old AA Scent of Terris was ready to be rolled out. As it stands now melee now can slow, cripple and debuff multiple mobs faster and easier than the casters who had these actual spells for decades can.

[47294] Darkened Malosenia
    Mana: 703
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Magic -115
    Reflectable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 3.25s, Recast: 1.5s
    Duration: 20.5m+ (205 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase Spell Damage Taken by 1% to 10% (Before Crit)
    2: Decrease Cold Resist by 135
    3: Decrease Magic Resist by 135
    4: Decrease Poison Resist by 135
    5: Decrease Fire Resist by 135
    6: Limit Max Level: 100 (lose 10% per level)
    7: Limit Effect: Current HP
    8: Limit Type: Detrimental
    9: Limit Resist: Magic
    10: Limit Type: Exclude Combat Skills
    Sancus, Spellfire and menown like this.
  6. menown Augur

Sks are the new necro Class. Their group DPS is equivalent to ours. They can solo names better than us. Their solo experience grinding is better than ours because of swarming. They have no real mana issues. They receive a larger variety of lifetaps than us, and some of them are better than ours. Yes, this is class envy. From a parent class perspective to a hybrid class, SKs are overshadowing necros.
  7. Rizzin Elder

Rangers > Druids too... so nothing new.
  8. Evurkvest Augur

Worse thing about this is Scent of Extinction taking up another slot on raid bosses.
    Venau likes this.
  9. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

What I find disturbing is the complete lack of an explanation. Every thread about this is ignored or the entire thread is deleted. To rely on Lady's Entreaty or Orb of Tashan is just ridiculous as a soloer. The cast time is outrageous.
  10. fortuneteller Augur

You paint such a bleak picture, instead of thinking why it might be done. Preparations for TBL, and not as a nerf.

As far I see, a lot of the mobs in TBL going to be immune vs fire, so a lot of these AA that been changed all had fire in their Things.

So they very likely would have been resisted 100% during TBL, now they take and split them up, so when TBL comes out, you can use your other DoTs and such, I guess during TBL, there will come something to replace it, and same things for magicians EU.
  11. mmats Augur

That would still mean those without TBL are left with this pile of garbage.
  12. ShadowMan Augur

What you are saying makes zero sense. If a debuff is poison or another resist other than fire it’s fire debuff aspect has nothing to do with it landing. Scent of Terris is poison resist so that’s all that is checked regardless of if it debuffs fire resist. These are huge nerfs seemingly based solely on conserving whatever resource was limiting the AA development in the future. They should have been handled when spells that equaled the prior AA were ready or when base spells were adjusted post change.

Casters are taking it hard lately.
    Venau likes this.
  13. sauron3030 Elder

If that's the case, it seems like bad timing to take a magic debuff of 145 and change it to 0
    Venau likes this.
  14. Tomdre New Member

There are only 2 possible reasons why they did this.

1) they have a dot change that theyre worried is/maybe too strong and thus nerfing our ability to solo somehow balances those worries.

2) You guys posting information about this class on these public forums has led them to think, yet again, that we're overpowered and this is their response.

People starting threads asking for information on this class is, has always been, bad for us. Why you guys keep responding with info thats easily misunderstood is beyond comprehension.

There are ways to help up-n-comers, its not on a public message board.
  15. Venau Augur

This is the thought process that creates the necessity for us to still use our 2.5 when we solo.

If a dev has become convinced that we are OP it's because of the mistrust that has been built over the years.

This paranoia that exists by a few old school necros is probably more harmful than helpful.

Here: This will get you going!! Our skull needs to be nerfed. Our Flesh lines that stack can be nerfed also if the intention was to only be able to use one at a time.

Now why on earth would someone say this? Here's why: To the extent that devs do see parses......they see the total amount of dmg done. They do not see or understand entirely how the damage is created. This dmg level is our new baseline. This baseline will be used for future class build.

If something is awry......and isn't as the devs think......then tuning issues in the future are inevitable. Keep the slate clean and straight forward or deal with the fallout later.
  16. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I can't say I disagree with what you are saying, because there is definitely something to be said for the ultimate goal that the dev team would balance spells/abilities based on how people can use them, not based on a person "taking advantage" of things that are not intended.

Given the history of other buffs like it, (not to mention the mortifier unity aa line) I think it's reasonable to say that they were not intended to stack. But they do, and using both of them is beneficial...as long as the person casting them doesn't forget about it while they FD and go afk for dinner or something.

I don't know how many times I've died in the guild hall thanks to forgetting to sit down in the guild hall before I went afk. I'm just so accustomed to feigning every time I step away from the keyboard.

(My strong feedback on these spells is the HP loss should not take effect when we are not in combat)

However, what those people are aware of, is daybreak's history of responding to things. I don't think a single person who plays the game would disagree that they don't do balancing well at all. In fact, it's terrible. There are so many examples of over-compensating for things. That history just makes a lot of people scared to even mention something.

What I have *not* done, is some testing to see what percentage of damage flesh to venom/flesh to poison is compared to my normal spells. I suspect it's a very small percentage. Small enough, to where all they would need to do is fix the stacking ability, and maybe raise the damage from flesh to venom up slightly. But they won't do that, they would just fix the stacking, *AND* nerf the damage. That's how daybreak does things.

:(
  17. Dolamight New Member

Canceled my accounts in protest. Games supposed to be fun not tedious and I'm not clicking my long cast time tash stick every single mob for forever, or having to rely on another class to debuff in order to use magic spell lines.
  18. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

Dibs on your stuff.
  19. Cicelee Augur

I find it funny that we think 3 seconds takes forever to cast, is an eternity, etc...
  20. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Considering the pace of the game nowadays, it is.