Save a dev: plat dump ideas

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Blart, May 16, 2016.

1. Blart Lorekeeper

To save Daybreak the trouble of re-coding the coin system (there's a hard limit of ~2 million plat in the bazaar) let's give them ideas for things we'd buy with plat.

Here's my idea:
    Augs. Nobody likes hunting for augs. If there were some slightly lower than top quality augs for 1.5 million plat each, I'd buy them for all 6 of my toons.

Any other ideas to get some plat out of our runaway EQ economy?
  2. Aghinem Augur

They tried with the nobles, and that tanked badly.
  3. Blart Lorekeeper

Yeah, but we don't really get anything with a noble. We get less than something actually, we lose plat on each one we buy.
  4. Aghinem Augur

That is the general point, its a plat sink. As much as people want to bring stability to their economy, they don't want to sacrifice their own pocket books doing so.
  5. Kravitz Augur

It was going to fail before it even started, it was one of the worst ideas, because it was introducing a whole new currency instead of bringing in a larger denomination of platinum. Band-aid solutions don't generally work yet they'll keep forcing it down our throats. Taxation on moving plat via trades or use of trader/barter system would have worked...but people would think that would be a nerf.

There were plat sinks in the game, people complained (i.e. Ronak being the most vocal, who had the developers ear), which caused portal stone prices to fall, augmentation distiller prices to fall, armor template prices to fall, and many trade skill lootable components have actual plat value previously they didn't, which caused people to sell tradeskill components to vendors instead of to other players.

The last time EQ had a plat sink was when SoF expansion came out, 50k prices on the armor templates, and before that it was GoD armor templates for 10-15k, which was considered quite enough plat for the time.

Today, 2-3 mill plat for a armor piece would be a good plat sink, but then you know people would complain after it was introduced to get rid of plat sinks...., so which is it have plat sinks or get rid of them, can't have it both ways...

The solution which I've proposed numerous times over the years on these forums, is a revamp of bazaar to be similar to modern mmos, i.e. auction house system.

1) It wouldn't hold your account hostage in trader/buyer mode
    2) Tax each item you are buying/selling so that money comes out of the player pool equal to the amount of plat being generated looting, questing, etc.., server should easily be able to track how much is generated each week and the tax would reflect that.
    3) Get rid of this dumb stupid limit of only being able to sell 100 unique items (10trader satchel x 10 slots each), when there are close to 1 million tradable items in EQ, and it would also stop people from spamming general chat with their items they are trying to sell/buy that is worth over the current 2 mil plat limit.
    Iila and Blart like this.
  6. Blart Lorekeeper

This a great idea that I'd love to see. Imagine a true AH system, and being able to find any trade-able item you need.
  7. Hostility Elder

You're right nothing will work if the noble didn't
  8. segap Augur

All of you advocating for plat sinks fail to realize that a very large chunk of the population is poor. Most people I know have less than 1 million plat. If they needed 2-3 million to make a dropped template in to a piece of armor, they'd never have gear. Taxing transactions would just move people back to the /auction channel.
  9. Brohg Augur

yesplease to bazaar overhaul
  10. Hostility Elder

Tax idea on all purchases to balance market = win. Unless you have a fetish for your plat numbers not fitting in the boxes anymore. If that's your thing who are we to judge
  11. Dre. Altoholic

Un-attuner for plat. Bonus - more relevant attuneables for sale in /baz
    Buff vendor NPCs for plat. Bonus - gets all the AFK idiots out of PoK/lobby
    Item that spawns a private instance of any zone for your group. Bonus - camp disputes resolved.
    Elricvonclief and Pelrond like this.
  12. Hekaton Augur

on a side note I think the server populations are at a level where we can dump the bazaar 2.0 and go back to the classic one with an arena in it
  13. Onwards Apprentice

No thanks. No thanks. Maybe. Previous idea is bounds ahead of these ones. Even if these were to fix the problem it's not as easy to predict as just a straight amount of plat taken away each transaction balanced with what is coming in. That is called fail proof because it's an equal equation. Plat in = plat out. Your idea: Plat going out =/>/< plat coming in. Mathematically your idea is just like every other idea implemented that hasn't fixed the problem. Just a shot in the dark
  14. Iila Augur

The new bazaar sucks. I'm not sure if the old one would be better, with letting players be wherever in that zone. But I know the current one is not sized right for the amount of traders that use it.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Nniki and Hekaton like this.
  15. Hekaton Augur

we could use shadowrest as the new bazaar...or the next expansion end raid zone with 3 raids
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  16. Onwards Apprentice

Rofl you're right. Only if we reserve the right to complain about the next expansion's size.
  17. Onwards Apprentice

18. Iila Augur

We could be using EW, with trader space only under the trees across the zone.
  19. Aghinem Augur

I always liked the Player Auction house from Diablo 3 (back when it was still operation). How would that work w/ EQ.
  20. Dre. Altoholic

Consider them "features" that also cost plat. They don't have to individually be the end-all-be-all plat sink. But I guarantee those would get used, unlike some of the other methods previously employed.