running EQ on Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Colin1424, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Colin1424 New Member

Im trying to get my MacBook Pro set up to be able to play EQ again for the first time since PoP release. Im wanting to know if I anyone knows is the 32-bit windows 10 download will work with the mid 2012 MacBook Pro. that has 2.3 GHz intel core i7, and intel HD graphics 4000? I plan on running the old graphics for nostalgia but would like to see how everything looks updated.
    Hateborne likes this.
  2. Hateborne New Member

Don't screw with Windows and dual booting.

1. Install HomeBrew (https://brew.sh/)
      1. Code:
        /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
    2. Install wine via brew ( "brew install wine winetricks" )
    3. Setup 32bit wine prefix
      1. Remove previous setup (if applicable): rm -rf ~/.wine
      2. Create the 32bit one: WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine winecfg
    4. Install corefonts, d3dx9_43, and wmi using winetricks: winetricks corefonts d3dx9_43 wmi
    5. Download the EverQuest client downloader (or copy it from another machine) and run via wine (double click or "wine /path/to/EQ_setup.exe")
    6. Create a "quiet" launch script for your own sanity:
      1. nano ~/.eq
      2. Code:
        #!/bin/bash
        export WINEDEBUG=-all
        export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
        /usr/local/bin/wine "/Users/YOURUSERHERE/.wine/drive_c/path/to/EverQuest/LaunchPad.exe" > /dev/null 2>/dev/null &
      3. chmod +x ~/.eq
    7. Finally, run the game and have fun: ~/.eq
    While step 6 is technically optionally, I hate the requirement to leave a console up while running EverQuest. Additionally, I don't want debug output as I am not developing or beta testing for WineHQ.

-Hate
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This should be stickied and/or made into a support article.
  4. SinnderChant New Member

I have additional notes.

First, Catalina disables all 32-bit apps, including Wine. There's a 64-bit version, but that doesn't appear to be able to run EQ. So... Unless someone has better info, you cannot use these procedures to run EQ if you have upgraded to Catalina.

However, you CAN boot from an older version of the OS. You can run it from an external drive (might be slow), or you can create a second boot APFS-style partition on your main internal SSD (assuming if you have Catalina, you have an SSD). The procedure isn't too bad.

1. Create the partition. Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility. Select your SSD and do Partition, then ask for an APFS partition. Name it something like HighSierra, or whatever version of the OS you're going to install.

2. Boot into recovery mode. Reboot the machine and then hold down Shift-Option-Command-R until it's booting. This will put you into Recovery mode with the intention of installing the OS that your Mac shipped with.

3. Run the MacOS installer and select the APFS partition you created in step 1.

After that, you can follow the standard procedures (mostly, but they're missing some stuff).

Next, Wine has changed. The wine page gives directions: https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

You must install xquartz, and the Wine package has changed.

Code:
    brew cask install xquartz
    brew cask install wine-stable

Both installs will require your admin password.

I've done these procedures a few times. I only did the original procedures once, and I fought with it a bit. Since then, I've copied my .wine subdirectory around and just copied it into place on each machine. It's about 12 gig.

This is my eq.sh script:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    export WINEDEBUG=-all
    export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine
    wine "/Users/jpl/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Daybreak Game Company/Installed Games/EverQuest/LaunchPad.exe" > /dev/null 2>/dev/null &

To switch between boot devices, see this page at Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202796
  5. Kane New Member

I have a regular desktop computer and a MacBook Pro as my only second computer. On some TLPs that are Truebox it say 1 game per computer. I read how VMware stuff gets you banned but I have paid $100 for Parallels to run Windows programs in and Mac programs at the same time without rebooting into Windows. I have no interest in rebooting the laptop into Windows just to play the game because all my essential work related stuff in on Mac. So, can I install EQ1 through my Parallels setup and not get banned?

Thanks!