Runes and priority order

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Cicelee Augur

Scenario- I am a magician. I have Skull of Null, which eliminates 1750 damage off spells. I have Shield of Order, which eliminates a percentage of damage up to xyz total damage. I then have several enchanter runes on me, which I am not fully sure if it is full absorption or partial, both with a limit. I then use Geomantra clickie, which absorbs some damage. Right before raid mob ABC hits me with a 300k damage AOE, I hit my shield of elements AA which absorbs up to 80k of fire damage IIRC.

So when I get hit with that 300k AOE, what is the order that the runes/spell absorption works?
  2. Ninelder Augur

They generally get used up in the order your buffs are used up. There are exceptions but EQ has a limited ability to do combat math.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

No. It goes by spell effect first, then Value, then slot.

SPA 55 = Normal Runes. 100% damage absorption Melee & Spell.
    SPA 78 = Spell Runes. 100% damage absorption Spell only. (This isn't used much).
    SPA 161 = Spell Guard. Variable % damage absorption. Spell only.
    SPA 162 = Melee Guard. Variable % damage absorption. Melee only.
    SPA 450 = DoT Guard. Variable % damage absorption. DoT only.
    SPA 451 = Melee Threshold. Variable % damage absorption over flat amount. Melee only.
    SPA 452 = Spell Threshold. Variable % damage absorption over flat amount. Spell only.

So, for Melee, EQ will check SPA 55 first, then 162, then 451.
    If you have two SPA 55 runes, it will take the higher slot since they are both 100% damage absorption.
    If you have two SPA 162 runes, it will take whichever is the higher percent absorption first. If they are the same %, then it goes by spell slot.
    The same applies to 451.

For Spells, EQ will check SPA 55 first, then 78, then 161, then 452, following the same rules as mentioned.

SPA 450 is the only DoT Rune, and it works the same as 161/162, but for DoTs. The higher number is because it was added much, much later.
    Cicelee and Taldiwen like this.
  4. p2aa Augur

Not anymore. The game calculates how much dmg each SPA 162 ability will produce, and will apply the lowest number found, so you take the least dmg.
    Cicelee and Taldiwen like this.
  5. Siddar Augur

Thanks for the info everyone.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

Yeah, I forget what patch it was added in but this should now be the case.
    It used to be the case where clicking a 100% rune with a cap would be worse than a 10% uncapped (shining bastion). But that should be fixed now where the best effect happens.
  7. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You guys are right, I forgot about that change. If you have two of the same spa it takes the higher value absorbed.

It was done after I did my testing years ago.

I still believe it checks by spa order first, so that part should be correct, but I never retested after the changes.
  8. Cicelee Augur

Thanks all for the info. Looks like I need to look up some SPA data...