Ruleset announcement in early April

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Captain Video, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I doubt it, look how massively popular DoDH shrouds were before & after the experience was nerfed into oblivion for the higher level characters.
    Instead of earning XP for a Level 70 shrouding to 10 you got level 10 xp - basically they removed any & all incentives for mentoring down & any system that let you still play your class would do exactly the same thing - this dev team do NOT want a level 120 earning good XP in anything other than the level 120 expansion - or any other meaningful advancement for that matter.

So any mentor-down system would be a complete & utter waste of time & money, players would still almost always use powerlevelling as it is far superior in benefits for the higher level player, and much faster, while a mentoring system never will be.

The only way a level-changing system ever gets used is if they scale up the lowbie to the highest level player in the group (or the group average) AKA "Side-kicking" or "Squiring".

The other way they could do it would be how TESO does it - where every mob is level 255 & every player is scaled up to 255 automatically in all zones - and I don't think that would work for EQ at all, it basically removes vertical progression altogether.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Don't forget that part of the problem with the shroud system is that you did not play your character and instead played a premade template.
    Rijacki likes this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I covered that point.

And you can swap 120 for whatever the current cap is when on TLP
  4. Haeldar New Member

Yeah, WoW barely survived with instanced dungeons. I see the light now. You have educated me.
  5. Vicus Augur

I agree that the scale down is the least preferred and useful option. I think the mentor up would be more in tuned with what is needed as would allow people to play with their friends, not sit in an xp group being zero help.

ESO/GW2/WoW all have similar scaling features but two of those games have/had monster developers and the other was built that way from the ground up. I would be shocked if the EQ devs were able to pull that off on EQ coding and had the time/budget to do so.

I think raid scaling is in the lead for what is coming but I think just as equal it will be something no one asked for. Should know in 3 ish weeks.

I do want to give the Dev's props this time as releasing info a good 30+ day prior to launch will actually allow guilds/players to coordinate and recruit this time unlike Vaniki. This is assuming that the info they provide in April isn't just the server name and some barebones overview.
    Appren and Skuz like this.
  6. Obliteration Elder

You named one game that is still around, but gotten worse since that happened.

There are entire graveyards filled with MMO's that went down the path of pleasing the "majority" by making the game more "accessible" or "less crowded" you can make this game not crowded very easily by following the advice of the same people who took part in the death of all those previous MMO's, many of whom won't be happy until they finally get to kill this one as well it seems.

Everquest is still here because there is still a community and you can still run into players inside the actual game and I'm not counting buff hubs, end that and start the countdown.

Listening to your fan base gets you no fan base real quick, it's as easily proven to kill MMO's as communism is at killing people.
  7. Kahna Augur

You do realize that most of modern EQ takes place in instances?
    Rijacki, Skuz and Tweakfour17 like this.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

And by modern you mean like 23/29 or so expansions
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Overcast451 Augur

They have actually done quite well with the classic servers, IMO.
    Plus that news dropped of them taking the banhammer to 120K botter accounts.

Add to that - no news of a new TLP. I don't want to sit during the next few cold weeks wondering if I should sub....

So I did WoW Classic, lol.

Enjoy whatever next TLPs you all :)
  10. Baulkin Augur

I'm just imaging a hard mode available for DZ's. Buffed raids for buffed loot... limit raid size... That would be fun.
  11. Kahna Augur

Yes, yes I do. Pretty sure anything Post PoP is too "modern" for some.
    Appren and Tweakfour17 like this.
  12. PeopleSuck23 New Member

- no open dungeons for xp groups. Everything is instanced now and all equipment in instances is no-drop.
    - Instead of random loot we are about to get random raid bosses in raid instances.
    - If you have a max level toon any other toon you create on that account start at lvl 40?
    - You can change your class without having to remake/lvl
    - going all WOW were you can have different specs. you can switch to 1 dps/healer/support/tank

Since she supposedly said that it is something that has never been done before and if it works out it will go to the live servers pretty much means it has to be something that can be useful on the live side.

13. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

One thing I know for sure...if they don't hit a homerun its DOA after the D4 beta. D4 going to suck the life out of a late may launch TLP. They really missed on the timing. Hopefully, it's early April announce and early May release. At least get the leveling out of the way before D4 hits.
  14. Praetorian1 New Member

*Never been attempted before.

Hmm. Scale the raid sizes down dramatically? Up the single group to 8 players and scale raids to that? I dunno just fantasizing :p
  15. Moforyguy12345 Augur

Pretty sure for how bad D4 beta was and how many complaints I doubt its taking many away from EQ for very long. I played beta myself and found it got pretty boring. I agree the next TLP needs to be a good idea but D4 will have nothing to do with its popularity.
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

Live already kinda has this, the group missions are scaled down versions of the raids so while that would be new for a good chunk of expacs it wouldnt be something they could port to live.
  17. Arclyte Augur

I played the D4 open beta and was surprised at how good it was.

If the ruleset for the new TLP sucks I won't mind one bit. D4 releases June 2nd.
  18. Triconx Augur

D2R > D4 from what I've seen.
  19. Zansobar Augur

I think it might be some form of reverse sidekick scaling ala City of Heroes where higher levels scale down to lower levels so you can group with lowbies better, or the opposite scaling where lower levels upscale.

Or perhaps adding difficulty selectors for AOC raids. The raids may increase the effective level of the raid mobs or reduce the max size of the player raid force or both, in exchange mobs drop a multiple of their normal loot table loot.
  20. Ruhi Augur

it releases june 6th - pay to winners start june 2nd.